Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a chance to trade in my 05 400 on a 2011 650 excetutive with 1400 miles on it. My concern is with the CVT problems on the 650 that I have been reading about. It is exspensive to repair. My question is, just how common is this problem?
The price on the 650 is $ 6499.00 with $1500.00 for my 400. It is a one owner bike that was traded on a Cam-Am spyder. Guy bought it for his wife, wife never rode it.
Should I be concerned? Or is this just needless worry? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I recently bought an '09 650. I read up on the CVT problems beforehand, and decided they were, in reality, pretty rare. I'd say buy it if you want it, then just ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a lot less problems with the 650's after 2005, You should be able to get around 50k out of it before you have any worries. If your belt goes before that it's simply bad luck.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There are a lot less problems with the 650's after 2005,
While certainly the '03-'04 had their unique problem there are still issues as I have seen on a '06 I have and a '07 I worked on. Additional changes were made in 2010 (which wasn't sold here) which I do not believe will be much different from the '05-'09 models.

That being said just enjoy the bike, your more likely to not have anything other than a belt replaced between 50K-70K miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The cvt problem is blown out of proportion. Most every 650 owner on this board knows about it and has chosen to purchase it anyway. Being a 2011 and low miles, your concerns most probably unwarranted.

Buy and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Jheck , have you driven a 650 ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2011 650

No I have not drove a 650. I love my 400 so I guess I would like the 650. Little more power for the interstate. Other then a 2 week trip once a year, I do most of my riding on back roads. I just love exploring side roads clocking a long 40,45 mph. The 400 is just perfect for that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
DO NOT take a 650 for a test ride! I made that 'mistake':confused: and have an 08 Exec to show for it. It is very different than anything else I've ever ridden. Smooth running engine - great handling - and great gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
No I have not drove a 650. I love my 400 so I guess I would like the 650. Little more power for the interstate. Other then a 2 week trip once a year, I do most of my riding on back roads. I just love exploring side roads clocking a long 40,45 mph. The 400 is just perfect for that.
I would strongly suggest you drive one before you sign on the dotted line . The 650 might not fit you physically and the 650 has a fairly severe engine brake that some don't particularly care for . I'm not trying to talk you in or out of any thing , just suggesting you try it on for size and that you're sure like it before you buy it . Make sense ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would strongly suggest you drive one before you sign on the dotted line . The 650 might not fit you physically and the 650 has a fairly severe engine brake that some don't particularly care for . I'm not trying to talk you in or out of any thing , just suggesting you try it on for size and that you're sure like it before you buy it . Make sense ?

TheReaper!
The 650 is a different critter than the 400. I prefer the 650 over the 400 I had but it took a little adjustment. Because of the engine braking, use the throttle like a rheostat to increase and decrease speed. Once I adjusted to it, I like the engine braking here in the mountains. The 650 is noticeably taller and heavier which was a little adjustment for me.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Do the math and see how much it costs to maintain the belt/weights etc.. on the 400 over let's say 60k miles. Compare that to the possible CVT belt failure on the 650.

The CVT failure is often blown out of proportion.

You may or may not suffer a CVT anything.

If you want to try a 650, buy it, enjoy it and don't waste too much time worrying about a possible failure.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I took almost everyone's advice here last year and bought a 2009 650 Executive. I haven't regretted it at all. I love this motorcycle.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
On PRICE !

I don't know what the mileage and condition of your 400 is , but if it's decent I think that $1,500 is a tad low . As far as the price of the 650 goes , I would call that tad high . While I haven't seen either bikes , I would guess they are $500 high on the 650 and $500 low on your 400 . Add it up and that's a $1,000 , not chum change in any one's world . As far as prices go on the 650's , every one seams to be asking for the moon . But they are not getting it , what is selling right now in the 650 Burg department is clean low mileage units priced below 4K . If it's priced $3,500 or less it sells immediately , at or slightly above 4K it takes a little longer depending on the bike . 5K and above ? Better be new prefect with close to zero miles . 6K to 7K it won't sell , I mean WON"T SELL !!! NEVER NEVER NEVER I've watched this market get tougher and tougher over the last few years , and this year is the worst yet . In my area there are several 650's that have been for sale for as long as 3 years , the one thing all of them have in common is they are asking over 4K , some as high as 7K .
This pricing thing is by no means Burgman specific , it's ALL bikes . So do your home work and give it some thought .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
:salute:TheReaper! I agree 100%

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

TheReaper!
+1 on the test ride. The 650 IS NOT just a bigger 400. It's a whole other animal, unlike any other. More MC in ways, but still retains the same scooter ergos. And it's not a little more power, but quite a bit more. Along with weight, size etc.

I concur the 400 is fantastic for toddling around the back roads. The 650 is as well, but there's a lot more beast to tame.

A newer 400 might fit the bill. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I currently have a Yamaha Majesty 400, and my new '09 Burgman 650, and the Suzuki is a much more satisfying machine to ride. Test one out, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Up date on 650

Well I over the last few days I since I posted I have put on some miles looking for motorcycles. Looked at Goldwings, to big now! My last gold wing was a GL1000" 79" which was just the right size. Tried out a 011 Yamaha touring 950. Private sale, nice but a little to much vibes at cruising speed. And man throwing a leg over instead of thru really bright up the old arthridic hip! And boy what a pain shifting is now.
Any ways hopped on the 400 and rode up to the shop with the 2011 650 to see if we couldn't come to a deal. They came down to 6599.00 and looked at my 400 and remarked what good shape it was in did some figuring and offered me top N.A.D.A. price of 3300.00.( last week when they said 1500.00 I was not on the scooter) seeing as I only paid 3400.00 for it 5 yrs ago I said OK. Pick up the 650 tomorrow. Thanks to all the people that took the time to respond to me. I am sure I will love it as much as I do my 400. Hope I can sleep to night.:kermit:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wow $100 for five years riding, I need you to do my bargaining for me. :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, heck of a deal! Okay, they were probably asking a touch too much for the 650, but getting over 3k for the 400 is fantastic. Great job bargaining. I'd say you got a great deal.

Congratulations and welcome to the 650 club! You might miss the 400 from time to time, but I'm sure the big burg will more than make up for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts