Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a leftover 2011 Burgman 400 in March with 1 mile on it and I love it. It now has over 1500 miles. I want to purchase and install a top case for it, mostly as a backrest and lunch carrier for day trips with the better half on the back. The availability for 2011's and later seems almost non-existent. I've checked Givi and Best Back Rests and others with no luck. Am I missing something? I communicated with Best and sent them a picture and the reply was the tailpiece changed and theirs won't fit. Am I dense? What's a newbie to do but go to the experts?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
dcpcar7 said:
I recently purchased a leftover 2011 Burgman 400 in March with 1 mile on it and I love it. It now has over 1500 miles. I want to purchase and install a top case for it, mostly as a backrest and lunch carrier for day trips with the better half on the back. The availability for 2011's and later seems almost non-existent. I've checked Givi and Best Back Rests and others with no luck. Am I missing something? I communicated with Best and sent them a picture and the reply was the tailpiece changed and theirs won't fit. Am I dense? What's a newbie to do but go to the experts?
Go to this website....I have used them many times before with great luck.!! Good guys to deal with, too. www.twistedthrottle.com

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
+1 The only thing that's changed from 2007 and on, is the color for the most part. There's a few other things that changed, the most major being the headlights in 2008 and ABS in 2010...but none of that affects a top box mounting.

Do a search for the Shad Top Master. It'll give you the base to mount any top box on the bike and only costs about $55. Bestem makes some good top boxes. Shad and Givi do as well. If you're bringing your wife along, check to see if the top boxes you're looking at will hold two full face helmets. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a top box that will do what you want either. I've carried Costco sized bird seed boxes in an inexpensive Bestem box just as well as in a more expensive Givi box. That's a load that exceeds any top box specification, yet the $85 Bestem box did just fine.

Chris

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Daboo said:
+1 The only thing that's changed from 2007 and on, is the color for the most part. There's a few other things that changed, the most major being the headlights in 2008 and ABS in 2010...but none of that affects a top box mounting.

Do a search for the Shad Top Master. It'll give you the base to mount any top box on the bike and only costs about $55. Bestem makes some good top boxes. Shad and Givi do as well. If you're bringing your wife along, check to see if the top boxes you're looking at will hold two full face helmets. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a top box that will do what you want either. I've carried Costco sized bird seed boxes in an inexpensive Bestem box just as well as in a more expensive Givi box. That's a load that exceeds any top box specification, yet the $85 Bestem box did just fine.

Chris
I went to order the Shad mounting rack last week and the price has gone from $55 to over $70. The price was still $55 a couple of weeks ago. Including shipping, the current price for the Shad was about the same price as the price I paid from Amazon for the Bestem 929 ($86). Against other advice, I drilled 4 holes in the mounting plate that came with the box and bolted it with the bolts that came with the box. I think the mounting plate is strong enough to handle the 4 bolt holes. I didn't have to add anything else other than a rubber cushion I made out of a piece of hose for the rails at the rear. It is very solid and looks good. The 929 box is well made and the black color matches the color of the seat well. The built in 3rd brake light works well even though the wiring instructions are poor to missing. I was so pleased with the box I spent $24 and bought the excellent liner for it (also from Amazon-with Prime).

·
I'm Retired
9,371 Posts
You'll want the mounting plate in the end. Maybe you can find it elsewhere for less money. http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/SHAD-Top-c ... br46st.htm

I went the same way you did on my Bestem top box initially. Within a year, the mounting plate that came with the top box was cracked. If I hadn't noticed it, I could've had it fly off on the freeway along with my laptop inside it. The metal on the mounting plate that comes with the top box is very hard...but very brittle. My guess is the bolt torque and stresses of hitting bumps in the road with a load in it, eventually started the cracks. I ended up buying a new mounting plate from Bestem and buying the Shad Top Master as well.

If you look at LeDude's tutorial on mounting the Bestem top box on his 650, I think you'll find he ended up doing something similar after his cracked as well.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. This my first motorcycle or scooter I've ever had. I believe I have the only Burgman I've ever seen. My only previous experience with bikes is chasing them on the back roads in a police car :roll: Still not clear on why, for example, the Givi site has nothing that fits, nor even an option in the drop boxes when selecting your cycle. I'll keep searching and try the sites suggested. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

I looked at them all - Coolcase, Shad, etc. - and ended up back at Givi. The cost premium made me think twice but I gotta say the quality, look and general finish made a believer out of me (again). I have had a smaller Givi on a small scooter for years and found it fucntional and durable. So I ended up with a Givi V46 from KiwiDave here in this forum. Dave is everything they say he is on customer service - excellent. I added the Admore light kit which I purchased separately through TwistedThrottle. I am very happy with the setup and feel a bit safer with the adiitional lights up high on the Givi case.

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just went to the Shad site and their mounting racks for 400's stops at 2008. I'll try a phone call tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts