Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Living in Australia and I purchased a 2010 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive model. Unfortunately, it did not come with the stock backrest.

I would like to buy a top box/case for it to act as a backrest because my partner and I commute to and from work. I have searched high and low for top box recommendations without much success. If anyone could recommend a Givi or Shad that they use, that would be great! It does not need to be big, it just needs to be able to have a backrest. Currently, she has no support.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Kappa is a daughter company of the famous Givi.

Kappa is almost as good at a greater savings they say.

·
Super Moderator
5,413 Posts
Shad is a sister company of the famous Givi.
You might be thinking of Kappa

Fairly sure Shad is a separate company originating in Spain.

Kappa was started by the owner of Givi as a business for his daughter using older Givi designs (possibly lower materials spec)

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
4,215 Posts
Yes, Shad is a separate company.
I have the official Suzuki top box and rear rack mounting plate for my 2013 model. It is actually a Kappa K49N... which is 46L. I used to have 2006 Burgman 650 and put a Givi box on that. I am convinced that the factory option for the 2013 aluminum mounting place and hardware are identical to what fits on the earlier model 650s. The only real difference is that you should already have the proper rear cover with the 3 holes, or at least markings for the 3 holes, where the factory backrest AND top case spacers and bolts would go through. That cover is a separate part for the 2013 and newer and is needed when the backrest is removed. But it stays when the the backrest is removed from a pre-2013 model. This Suzuki mounting plate is for a Monokey top case from Givi or Kappa (the very same mounting system). It's also less pricey compared with the Givi mounting adapter and mounting plate.

I highly recommend the Kappa cases. Almost identical quality to the Givi cases being made the same way and having a slightly lower cost since Kappa is the budget division of Givi.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
You might be thinking of Kappa

Fairly sure Shad is a separate company originating in Spain.

Kappa was started by the owner of Givi as a business for his daughter using older Givi designs (possibly lower materials spec)
Thanks will edit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, Kappa cases are not sold in Australia. Mostly Shad and Givi. The 2010 executive does have three holes for mounting. A link to a mounting plate and appropriate top box (where you can install a backrest) is what I’m after

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
@goliegosh ,
This is a link to the Suzuki Parts Nation source for the official Suzuki aluminum mounting plate and hardware that will fit your scooter. It does say for 2013 but it will also fit earlier model years.
2013 Suzuki AN650L3 Stopper Set Rear Box Plate (Optional) | CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation
Order both items in the parts list.

This is a link to the Givi branded adapter plate and plastic base plate from Givi (top box shown not included). You don't need the extra part the description mentions for 2013-2018 models.
Amazon.com: Givi SR3104 Monokey Topcase Mount for Suzuki Bergman 650 and Burgman 650 Executive : Automotive

You should be able to use the part number information to find what you need if these sources don't send to Australia. The actual top case you choose is up to you but you can't go wrong with either Shad or Givi. These items I've linked to will not work with Shad cases.

This is what the Suzuki official aluminum plate looks like on my Burgman 650...
Automotive lighting Light Hood Motor vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@goliegosh ,
This is a link to the Suzuki Parts Nation source for the official Suzuki aluminum mounting plate and hardware that will fit your scooter. It does say for 2013 but it will also fit earlier model years.
2013 Suzuki AN650L3 Stopper Set Rear Box Plate (Optional) | CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation
Order both items in the parts list.

This is a link to the Givi branded adapter plate and plastic base plate from Givi (top box shown not included). You don't need the extra part the description mentions for 2013-2018 models.
Amazon.com: Givi SR3104 Monokey Topcase Mount for Suzuki Bergman 650 and Burgman 650 Executive : Automotive

You should be able to use the part number information to find what you need if these sources don't send to Australia. The actual top case you choose is up to you but you can't go wrong with either Shad or Givi. These items I've linked to will not work with Shad cases.

This is what the Suzuki official aluminum plate looks like on my Burgman 650...
View attachment 95928
Looks like It would fit mine, can I ask which top box you have?

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
We use to have a member named Kiwi Dave and he was a GIVI distributor in NSW but could drop ship from the factory.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I mentioned in post 9 above. I have the Kappa K49N top case. With the Suzuki logo instead of the Kappa logo on top the lid since that is what Suzuki used as their official top case. It is a Monokey top case same as many of the Givi cases.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
BTW- the Givi SR3104KIT is the part you DO NOT NEED for any Burgman 650 2012 or earlier. That is the rear top cover that is needed for 2013 and after models. The other part, SR3104 MM, you do need and will work with all model years.

The link I provided for Amazon has that SR3104 as well as the Monokey plastic base plate so all you would need to add is the top case itself. The link Dave provided is missing the M7 base plate that you would have to buy separately, but it does look like it includes the rear cover that you don't need for your 2010 model.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
OH! OK. Then you already HAVE the Givi SR3014 part which is that very bracket. All you need is the Givi Monokey plate of your choice and the top case. That makes it simpler.
Here is a link to an Australian source with a few to choose from:
Motorcycle Helmets - Carlisle Tyres & Accesories
I just did a search in Google for Givi Australia Monokey plate and this was one of many sources that showed up. One of these plates mounts to that bracket you already have and any Givi MonoKey top case will mount onto that plate.

Givi has Monokey and Monolock case styles. I recommend Monokey. I know that bracket you have will fit a Monokey plate.

·
Administrator
22,125 Posts
For those interested, this is what I currently have on the rear
OK, then all you need is the plate that bolts on to that bracket. The M8 shown in above links or the E251 like in the picture below.

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Input device Bumper Bicycle part Font Video game console Tool Auto part

Reactions: rjs987

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
@goliegosh:

This is a Givi on my '08 Exec. I forget the model and capacity -- 46L? 49L? -- but these were made about, yep, a dozen years ago:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

This was a common box, works well enough, etc. I had the exact same model on my '07 Exec (only in red).

The problem here is in regard to your requirement, "It does not need to be big, it just needs to be able to have a backrest. Currently, she has no support."

That small backrest that you can (or could) get for the Givi, and then drill a couple of marked holes and put on, is small and stupid. My wife pretty much hates it. Says it's in the wrong position, in terms of back support.

For medical and other reasons, she doesn't ride with me very often. Back when I was much younger (I'm 73 now), and had my brand new '07 Exec, I had a local craftsman do some upholstery work for me. I bought a cheap Harley topcase backrest clone, and he gutted it, and then re-upholstered it, per my specs:

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Automotive design Automotive lighting

So, IMO, if you really want support for her, something like this is the way to go.

I'd do that again -- and I actually may -- but, as I say, we don't do very many two-up rides. When we do, I sometimes bungie an additional backpad around the topcase.

My point here is that -- at least in the old days, and possibly now -- the optional pads on topcases often leave a LOT to be desired.

Note that I had a Valkyrie Interstate for seven years, and replaced the stock wraparound topcase passenger thingy with an aftermarket one. And I had a Victory Cross Country Tour, with an excellent passenger wrap-around support on the topcase, which we left as stock. Thus, my wife is used to much better support than the silly little pads that are optional add-ons for the Givi cases. Just a heads up here ...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
@wspollack , Yours looks exactly like the one I put on my 2005 Burgman 650... right down to the missing tip point of the top silver stripe! That's the Givi e52 Monokey case and has 52 L. (the photo below was taken just before that plastic tip broke off, a common thing on this case) I also had that same back pad on mine. My wife was just OK with it but that was at a time when she was starting to prefer not riding very far with me. She did ride with me to her home town 2 hours away once and maybe another short out of town trip of less than an hour and then it was only around town locally after that. And a few years later she just stopped riding with me and just rode her Metropolitan around town. When I put the case I now have on my 2013 Burgman I didn't bother to put on a back rest pad since I always ride solo these days.

@goliegosh , This is the rig I had on my older Burgman with the SR3104 adapter bracket for the Burgman 650 with the Givi M5 Monokey mounting plate on top of that and the Givi e52 top case mounted on it. Looks the same as Bill's black '08 Burgman above. Bill is right about the back pads and what to do for even more support for your pillion rider.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi all,

Living in Australia and I purchased a 2010 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive model. Unfortunately, it did not come with the stock backrest.

I would like to buy a top box/case for it to act as a backrest because my partner and I commute to and from work. I have searched high and low for top box recommendations without much success. If anyone could recommend a Givi or Shad that they use, that would be great! It does not need to be big, it just needs to be able to have a backrest. Currently, she has no support.

Cheers!
I have the Givi Monokey 47 Liter. Mine is a 2015 650 burgman.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts