Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My subject line says it all. I have a 2009 Burgman with 17k miles on it, do I still need to change the stop bolt, if so when? I changed it on my 2003 Burgman at 48K and scooter died just shy of 62k miles-cvt. JC

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
JC, it is the generally accepted idea to just inspect it at every other oil change.

Yes your 09 has the better stopper bolt but it should be inspected.

Lots of owners just bought a new one to have on hand.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Inspected stopper bolt

At 14,500 miles i changed all my fluids. Oil, Trans, Rear gear.
Then i inspected my stopper bolt. It has been 10,000 miles since i last
changed out the old bolt for the newer bolt. Here are a few pics of what the bolt looks like. Not bad after 10,000 miles but why take a chance.
Also changed out the oil drain bolt/washer. And the rear gear oil 2 hex bolts. Stripping them scares the **** out of me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I changed mine when I first bought my 09 650 at 7350 miles. Looked some what like wayneman picture above. At just over six bucks why not. ;)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I own 2009 also presently, as Europe get product 1 to 2 year before NA I follow Burgman forums in Europe for advance news and info.

I order 4 new CVT stopper bolt last year because of info I obtain in Europe. Paid approx. 4.50 each CVT stopper bolt from Partzilla believe.

Read on Burgie site in Europe that there now recommend user or shop torque CVT stopper bolt to 26 lb/ft every 3000-4000 km and replace 10,000 to 15,000km as part of regular maintenance unless it not have any damage at all, this take but 1 minute if already have torque wrench available.

In 2009 Suzuki change stopper bolt to harder material, for 2010-2011 model year Suzuki also rework bolt to longer unit by 1.5-2mm and rework internal bolt seat also. Suzuki also make other change / improvement to CVT for 2013 model to ensure this problem not exist anymore.

Since these change and maintenance schedule, hear very little about CVT bolt failure on more recent model year, previous CVT problem mainly happen on 2002 -2008 model year.

In such case as Wayneman I change immediately, even if put in 20-25 CVT stopper bolt during life of bike that only $100.00 - $125.00, or $5.00 - 10.00 per year for most 650 owner.

·
Registered
842 Posts
This is my 2nd stopper bolt i have put in. Bought this bike used with 2700 miles. After reading on forums about cvt failures i used Ledude's tutorial and changed my first stopper bolt at 4500 miles. It was the older stye and it had a few noticable sized nicks on it. I inspect my bolt every oil change.
Also bought bolt at partzilla.I decided at 10,000 miles since last bolt change and with 14,500 miles on the burger it was time to change again.
so, i am guessing the newer type bolt lasted twice as long as the original
style. So, changing every 10,000 miles for piece of mind is definitely worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts