Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2009 Bergman 650 and there was no owner's manual. I don't know what all switches and buttons are. can someone help me?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Pretty sure they are the same on the 2009

Top Blue is mirrors in and out on the Exec

Bottom right yellow is to turn the manual shifting on and off...ignore for a while
Up and Down is for manual shifting...ignore.

Horn, high/low beams, turn signal are obvious

Power button is the magic button for the 650 - sports mode...you need to be careful with it as it can trigger some pretty severe engine braking.

First accelerate from a stop quickly with it off.

Then stop and try it again with it one.

It's effective from start up to about 60 mph - brisker acceleration and steeper engine braking...the Power button is one of the keys to riding the twists hard but as a new rider just get used to it slowly.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Just to expand upon all that a bit.

The yellow "D-M" button stands for "Drive", the normal operating mode, and "Manual". In Maunal mode you can use the up down button to simulate shifting through 1 to 5 "gears" plus an OverDrive. Most everyone ignores Manual mode. It's fun to play around with, but most find Drive automatic mode sufficient.

The only time most people use Manual mode is when cruising long distances on the highway. In Drive mode at high speeds, the bike will tend to shift between 5th and OD with the slightest of throttle input. To avoid this and reap the gas savings of OD, they will switch in Manual mode and shift up to OD and leave it there for the duration of their high speed jaunt. Just be sure to switch it back to Drive when you get off the freeway. The bike will automatically shift to first when you stop in Manual mode, but you must shift it after that, hence the term Manual.

The Power button is the magic button. It increases the automatic shifting patten about 1500 rpm, to the bikes most powerful zone. It also increases the engine braking significantly. This mode is useful for fast takeoffs and particularly the mountain twisties. You'll need much less braking in this mode and your acceleration will be much more crisp and responsive.

I'd stick with Drive mode for now. Once you're comfortable, try Power, then Manual mode. These can all be engaged on the fly at any speed. The bike will select the proper gear to be in when you do so.

Good luck. Congratulations. Have fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts