Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Turning backwards can make the cam chain jump on some motors,
I don't know that this is the case on burgmans
Thanks for that Garthh. You've made explicit what was perhaps implicit.
These engines have got chain tensioners which could potentially create a problem if turned backwards but as you say unless somebody has actually had a problem then it probably doesn't exist given that the manual doesn't mention it. Perhaps it's more of a case that it's probably better form to always turn forward.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
When turning the correct way, the slack side of the timing chain is on the tensioner side.
When turning backward, the tension side of the chain is on the tensioner side. Theory is that the other side might become slack instead. So it "might" jump a tooth. Which can be very very bad.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, color me stupid. Ha. I have one similar that I bought and used on the SYM, but the handle on mine was too short to reach the ground (maybe not so on that particular one) so I would have to try to brace it to bike parts which didn't always work too well. So I just made one to my specifications and don't regret spending the time.

BTW Mitch, I want to personally thank you for your excellent how-to videos. They have helped get me through many jobs with a minimum of cursing and wasted time. If there are any new 400 owners reading this who don't know, look up MicBergsma videos on YouTube. Well made, clear instructions and nicely edited.
I have the exact same tool as @micbergsma as we bought it about the same time. My secret is to reverse the way you would usually place the tool. I insert the handle upwards in between the frame and have the prongs secured on the variator. Works GREAT.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
This tool works for installation (torquing nut). Can't imagine not being able to break the nut loose with an Impact Wrench (I use Harbor Freight electric).
varitor.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well done. Shame the finned plate doesnt have 2 holes in them, like... Oh, every other scooter. You have to pay $200 for the suzuki holder which seems like something from medieval times.

I actually starting building/welding a holder that uses 4 case bolts all around. I never finished as I had all sort of issues with the bike. I hope to rebuild the engine after I buy a newer scooter. It will not be a b400. Here in Cyrpus, people think they're some Ducati to ask such high prices.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well done. Shame the finned plate doesnt have 2 holes in them, like... Oh, every other scooter. You have to pay $200 for the suzuki holder which seems like something from medieval times.

I actually starting building/welding a holder that uses 4 case bolts all around. I never finished as I had all sort of issues with the bike. I hope to rebuild the engine after I buy a newer scooter.
Biggest bike I have seen with those dimples is a Kymco People 300GTI. I built a tool for my Yamaha C3 out of plywood 9 years ago. It has been used on all kind of scooters since then including Genuine Buddys, SYM HD200s and a Kymco 300.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts