Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peace, family.

I sadly haven't been on my Burg in awhile. I put a new battery in it today and went to start it and all lights up and it's trying to start but won't turn over. I filled the gas tank to be sure things were ok there and still nothing.

The gas gauge is flashing one bar as if I need to fill up, but again.... it's full.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
When you say "it's trying to start but won't turn over" do you mean the starter is trying to crank the engine but does not have enough power to actually spin the engine over. If so then make sure the new battery is fully charged and make sure all the connectors are on correctly and tight.

But if you mean the starter is spinning the engine over but the engine refuses to actually start then try cranking with the throttle held open.

As for the fuel gauge, have never seen that issue so don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How long? is awhile, months, years. As Buffalo said, "it's trying to start but won't turn over" does not make sense.
It's either turning over and not starting, or it's not turning over when you hit the start button.
Float could be stuck on fuel sender.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Buffalo you have more patience than me I cant be arsed trying to answer queries like these anymore. If the OP,s can be bothered to give a proper description of the issue why should the collective waste time pulling teeth. We end up asking more questions just to try and actually get a straight answer to what the actual issue is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long? is awhile, months, years. As Buffalo said, "it's trying to start but won't turn over" does not make sense.
It's either turning over and not starting, or it's not turning over when you hit the start button.
A few years.

It's cranking, but it won't catch.

Any idea what this fuel gauge issue could be? I'm thinking it may be related.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buffalo you have more patience than me I cant be arsed trying to answer queries like these anymore. If the OP,s can be bothered to give a proper description of the issue why should the collective waste time pulling teeth. We end up asking more questions just to try and actually get a straight answer to what the actual issue is.
I simply didn't explain the issue properly/use proper terminology.

I appreciate those that do have patience and are open to discussion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A few years, would suggest a fuel problem. If it has been stood for that long the fuel pump could well be gumed up.
First just to be on the safe side check if it's sparking. If it is, it's a fuel problem. Then it's back to the pump. Strip it out and check, not sure how easy this is as I've not done it on a Burgman but someone will know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would the float being stuck cause the engine to not catch.

Really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few years, would suggest a fuel problem. If it has been stood for that long the fuel pump could well be gumed up.
First just to be on the safe side check if it's sparking. If it is, it's a fuel problem. Then it's back to the pump. Strip it out and check, not sure how easy this is as I've not done it on a Burgman but someone will know
I see. Trying to stay away from the dealership, but it may end up there this week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, but it may suggest that your fuel tank is gummed up, how much fuel was in the tank? ie. was it nearly empty?
I presume it was running OK when you laid it up?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the fuel pump is the same as a Honda Civic 2001 so don't be paying loads for a Burgman pump, go to a breakers and get one. I think they are under the battery compartment, there will be be a how to remove somewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
A few years.

It's cranking, but it won't catch.

Any idea what this fuel gauge issue could be? I'm thinking it may be related.
I'm assuming it was starting before you parked it. If so then try cranking it with the throttle held wide open.

If it wasn't starting before you parked it then as others have said a fuel pump or ignition issue are possible.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
I learned a long time ago that the terminology people use to describe a cranking or starting issue can be quite ambiguous. First thing I usually do is try to get them to clarify exactly what they are meaning to say. People use the terms cranking and starting interchangeably and this can lead to confusion.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
I learned a long time ago that the terminology people use to describe a cranking or starting issue can be quite ambiguous. First thing I usually do is try to get them to clarify exactly what they are meaning to say. People use the terms cranking and starting interchangeably and this can lead to confusion.
^^^ THIS!

A few years back a member on here that was local to me was selling his 2006 Burgman 650 on Craigslist. The bike was in fine shape and came with extras. His asking price was $600 OBO because it would not start up. His explaination was almost verbatim of the OP's first post above. "Won't Crank"

After a few posts and even a phone call he was not listening to us. I had told him to hold the throttle open while cranking. Still not listening. I would have offered $300 for it not running.

I set up a meet to look it over and buy it from him. Another member went with me. We first looked it over real well that hooked up a jump starter to and I held the throttle wide and cranked it for 10 seconds. It sputtered. Waited 15 seconds and did it a second time and it fired up and ran. Took it around the block at it ran fine.

Went back to seller/member and explained that I did not really need or wanted to buy it but if all he wanted now was $600 I'd do it, but I also said he should not sell it so low. He agreed. I think he sold it a few weeks later for $2800.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I simply didn't explain the issue properly/use proper terminology.

I appreciate those that do have patience and are open to discussion.
Fully understand. But bear in mind that if any future issues occur the more information imparted means the Borg collective can make better guesses. Plus I am a miserable **** most days :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts