Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to the Craigslist ad I just posted. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4424352193.html

The 2008 Burgman 400 has a unique combination of performance, comfort and style. The Burgman 400 has enough performance for a top speed of 100+ mph -- which is more than enough to travel on any freeway. I've found the average fuel economy has been in the mid-60s. The highest was 74.4 MPG after a weekend trip up to the beautiful San Juan Islands. In the time I've been riding a Burgman 400, I've saved over $7700 in gas -- when the price per gallon was an average of $2.94 -- not $3.80+ per gallon.

The seat is comfortable and plush, and hides a lighted 62-liter storage area -- the largest of any maxi-scooter in the world. You can fill it with your laptop backpack during the week, or camping gear on the weekend. There is a convenient front glove box compartment with DC-electrical accessory outlet, plus two additional storage compartments above the glovebox. It is ready for a Givi top box with the mounting plate already installed.

In 2007, Suzuki totally redesigned the Burgman 400. The only thing the same with the previous generation 400 is the name and general shape.
• The engine size was increased to a true 400cc and has a DOHC 4-valve design with less periodic maintenance required.
• The CVT belt drive transmission is a true "twist and go" design. No clutch or gears to worry about shifting in traffic. There's also less maintenance required on it than messy chains to adjust and lubricate.
• New larger 14 inch front wheel combined with new dual hydraulic disc brakes up front for improved stability and braking control. Rear wheel and tire size was also increased.
• It has a new easy-to-read instrument panel with analog speedometer and tachometer combined with LCD odometer, twin tripmeters, clock, temperature gauge and all new average fuel consumption readout.
• New larger windshield for increased rider comfort and creates a smooth flow of air over the rider.
• Link-type rear suspension features a single shock absorber with 7 way adjustable spring preload.
• In 2014, the Burgman 400 remains largely unchanged from this 2008 model. The largest changes are the paint color and ABS.

You can easily use this Burgman 400 for daily commuting. The aerodynamic fairing in front not only looks cool, but diverts much of the rain and cold wind around you in the winter. The seat is comfortable. After an hour commute, I've wanted to get right back on and ride again. I've ridden this bike on 10-12 hour long trips to places like Artist Pointe on Mt. Baker, the North Cascades Highway loop, and even around Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood in Oregon. After 12 hours on the bike, the seat still felt comfortable. In fact, in June 2011, I rode this bike on an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 ride (1000 miles in less than 24 hours). . .and found it so comfortable, it was like sitting in an armchair. You will find few bikes that you can say that about.

And the handling is superb! Whether you're riding on a twisty back road or simply making that sweeping curve under the Convention Center in the HOV lane with all the cars "parked" to your right, it just feels good and brings a grin to your face. Did I mention you can travel in the HOV lane? Yes! It has cut my commute time in half.

I've added some modifications to make an already great bike, even better.
• Givi Airflow Adjustable Windscreen. -- This allows you to adjust the windscreen up or down over 7 inches. Or remove the upper section completely for a "sport" windscreen and more air flow in hot weather.
• Dr. Pulley HiT clutch. Eliminates the slippage other scooters have from 0-15 mph, and reduces clutch wear to about nil.
• Dr. Pulley Sliding weights. Provides faster acceleration in town, and more relaxed cruising on the highway.
• Additional 12-volt accessory outlets.
• GPS power wired in with RAM mounting ball.
• LED driving lights.

The ad says $3785. I'm willing to negotiate.

Chris

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Still strange thing to see 'never will sell' and then 'for sale' :D

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand that. I still love the bike, but find I'm not riding it. I looked back, and I've only filled it up 3 times since last May. And a week before DST changed over, I rode it ...and found it was still on DST.

I find I'm a one bike owner, and it is a shame to see it sit and collect dust.

Chris

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I'm sure it will sell fast, for one can hardly find a Burgie maintained better than this one.

But i'm more surprised at the choice preferred to the 400. Very interesting move indeed. Frankly I would expect more like CB500X, which is all over this forum thanks to one of her supporters. :)

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Good Luck with the sale Chris - An era has ended ! :)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Sorry to see you go Chris, but I know we will meet in the by & by.
Someone is going to get a very nice 400 with this sale!

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two people want it already. It shouldn't be hard to sell as there's nothing wrong with it and it is less than the other two 400s being sold.

I've never quite understood this part. More 400s are sold each year than 650s. The numbers are probably quite close by now, but that would be only in the last couple years. So a quick search using SearchTempest through the local listings on Craigslist shows 3 2007+ 400s and 6 650s. I guess no one sells a 400???

Chris

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've never quite understood this part. More 400s are sold each year than 650s. The numbers are probably quite close by now, but that would be only in the last couple years. So a quick search using SearchTempest through the local listings on Craigslist shows 3 2007+ 400s and 6 650s. I guess no one sells a 400???

Chris
I check scooterfinds.com every day and there are always more 650's for sale. Today there were 56 400's for sale and 78 650's. Have no idea what that means, but there seems to be more good bargains for 650's than 400's.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal and someone is going to get a great Burgman. How many miles does it have?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I guess it's Debora. Cdeptola, your waking me up with those dazzling fog lights every night :D

Don't they drain much power? 40 watts, if i'm correct -- not sure if generator can cover this.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike has just a few miles over 27,000, so as Bolzen surmised, it is "Deborah".

I just had a third person inquire about it. It'll go easily. And if not, I'll keep it. I always planned to keep it till I reached 100,000 miles on it.

Chris

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Would be good if those persons just got lost for the plan to succeed :)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear what you're saying. But,...

I really questioned my decision to sell Barak and buy Deborah a couple years ago. Even with 49,000 miles on Barak, it ran like it was new. Deborah almost makes that decision harder. There are $700+ of add-ons that someone will get basically for free. I was coming home from the Good Friday service tonight questioning if this was the smart thing to do. But it just comes down to the fact that I haven't been riding it. And if I don't ride it, I'll never reach that 100,000 mile plan...even if these prospective buyers get lost.

Chris

·
Registered
770 Posts
I check scooterfinds.com every day and there are always more 650's for sale. Today there were 56 400's for sale and 78 650's. Have no idea what that means, but there seems to be more good bargains for 650's than 400's.

John
I had to wade through a bunch of 650 ads on CL before I got my 400. Weird!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well, if your more comfortable with the NT i guess there's no point in marinading the second bike, with Honda pretty reliable.

Can't say i would ever consider that bike as a replacement for B, but it's just me. Most people think Vee1 is ugly, but to me it's one of the prettiest and versatile on this planet. Mac sleeps and sees the 500X. Whatever sails the boat ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts