Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the summer I got some work done on my bike that I thought would be ground ball type work for a bike mechanic. I had my tires changed and my front brakes. A mile or two after picking up my bike I noticed that the front brakes sticking. Towed it back to this assshole's shop and he ended up "rebuilding" both the front and rear calipers and then realized I needed a new front rotor because it was warped from the brake pads sticking.

Anyway, I've been using the bike every now and then after this repair and it seemed to be working OK for the most part (besides seeming to require more RPM than before to reach the same speed...which may or may not be in my head) but yesterday mid ride while using my rear brakes it went pretty much totally slack on me. The rear brakes aren't sticking though. After pumping the brakes a bit the slack gave way to more resistance as I applied the brakes but the rear brakes are not working at all.

What do you guys suspect is the problem? What is the best course of action? Can anyone recommend a GOOD mechanic in the STATEN ISAND NY (or surrounding area) Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
When you press the rear brake handle all it does is try to compress the fluid in the brake line and that squeezes the rear brake piston against the disc. So you may have air in the brake line which will compress while a liquid will not. Or a possible leak. Check for any wet spots around the brake caliper or the reservoir. See if the brake reservoir is low on fluid.

My advice is purchase a service manual and start doing your own repairs. Lots of youtube videos on how to and the money you save from the mechanic you can invest in tools.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Hmmm pumping the brake pedal to make car brakes work means a bad master cylinder.... pull the rear brake lever and hold it, does it stay (good) or slowly keep moving (bad).
I'd bleed the brakes, it'll cost you about $5 for brake fluid and take less than a half hour.
And check for external leaks.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The rear brakes aren't sticking though. After pumping the brakes a bit the slack gave way to more resistance as I applied the brakes but the rear brakes are not working at all.
You should clarify here: You have one one rear brake, but you say “pumping brakes “, plural. Are the front brakes good? You also seem to indicate you can pump up resistance, yet no brake action? That’s odd.
If your rear brake suddenly went soft, you either lost a master or slave seal, or you sprung a hydraulic leak, as some posters already mentioned. A leak should be simple to detect. The third possibility for such a sudden loss, is if you loss a brake pad off it’s backer plate. Shine a light up into the caliper and make sure you can still see both pads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry, I'm at work and trying to juggle things. Right now the problem is isolated to the rear brakes. Front brakes are working fine otherwise I may not be alive to tell the tale.

To be more clear: I was trying to use the REAR brake when I felt it go slack. The brake pad wasn't engaging. I kept pumping the rear break and eventually it got to where it wasn't totally slack but it was still not working. The brake fluid for the rear appears to be at proper levels and I don't see any indication of a leak

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Does the parking brake lever lock the rear tire? The rear is complicated where it is worked by the hydraulic and also a cable with the parking brake.

·
Administrator
22,776 Posts
Let us know where you are located. We have a few members in the New York state area that may stop by and look with you.

Reactions: zrx212

·
Registered
67 Posts
So, it turns out that somehow the bolts attaching the caliper to the, i want to say swingarm, have gotten loose and fell out. This was discovered after taking Fester's advice and trying the cable brake thing to see if it stops the rear wheel from moving. Then I was looking at the caliper/ break area and thinking to myself I don't see where the brakes are even making contact with the rotor. Sure enough the whole caliper was ... just hanging there.

Ok, so WTF should I do next to try to remedy this issue? I'm assuming getting two properly fitting bolts would be a good start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
(Note Moderator merged these posts together.)

So I recently discovered that my rear brakes weren't working because some how the two bolts holding the caliper onto the swingarm were totally missing and the caliper was pretty much just hanging there!

I ordered the proper OEM bolts and bought Niche brand rear brakes. I followed Mic's videos on how to replace the brakes (although I didn't remove any brake fluid...idk if that was a mistake) Had a hard time reaching the caliper so I removed the exhaust.

I removed the old brake pads and shims and the little clip thing in the caliper and cleaned them. I attached the shim and other piece to the new brake pads but they don't stick as tightly as they did to the old brake pads. I also depressed the two pistons to the way Mitch did in his video.

I'm not really liking the way the two brake pads are sitting in the caliper. I put two temporary bolts in the missing bolt spots and the wheel wouldn't spin. I did this with the bike not powered on.

I'm adding some pics in hopes that you guys can help guide me through this.
Wood Gas Tints and shades Engineering Metal

Tool Bicycle part Engineering Machine Nut

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Gas Screw Machine Engineering Nut

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
When you installed the caliper with the new brake pads over the rotor did it slide on easily? The pads should have extra room if you pushed the caliper pistons back. Also the parking brake mechanism will force the pads against the rotor. Are you sure that was reinstalled correctly? Don't worry. Take your time. You will be able to figure out what's hanging up.

Did you pull the brake lever? That would have squeezed the brake pads against the rotor.

Here is a different view of doing the rear brakes.

Boy, that last mechanic screwed you over good.

Reactions: RamiAgonistes

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you backed the emergency brake off a couple of turns? I use a composite shim to force the pads apart before I slide it over the caliper. Have you removed the reservoir cover and looked at the fluid level/color? The rear brakes on these are pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is an on line PDF service manual. Parking brake section 4D-1. Before you adjust it determine why the wheel is not turning.

Also there is the advance search engine on this forum on the right side of your icon in the right hand corner.
Fester thank you so much for the service manual. You've been an enormous help with all my noob issues. I read that page but I find it pretty confusing. I'm just going to wait till my bolts come and I'll see if my installation was a failure or not. If I screwed it up I'm just going to have it towed to the nearest legit service location.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts