Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2008 Burgman 400 and when I am out on the highway going along at 130kmh which in reality is 120kmh because our speedos are out by 10% my tachometer is reading 8000 rpm.

Is this normal for my engine to be running this fast traveling at this speed.

In mph my speed would average out to be 70-75

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sounds a little high. 8k rpm on a completely stock 400, should be around 80 mph. Maybe your belt needs replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info

Have you taken off the inner cover that covers the belt and ran the engine to see the belt performance if it is working the way it should

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You need to measure the belt width. Not sure what the spec is suppose to be for a 2008 but it would be listed in the service manual if you have one. The 2003-2006 400 belt has a limit of 20.85 mm (0.82 in) I would assume the 2007+ would be the same or similar. When the belts get worn out they can't reach full top gear and can slip fairly easily{usually at either end - bottom RPM and top RPM}.

·
Registered
133 Posts
with everything being stock and new, with the exception on the weights, being 18 gram dr. pulley slider weights. your rpm's wll run at 5500 at a speed of 70 mph.
if your running 8000 rpm's, thats not good at all exspecially in the long term.
i dont yet know the mileage of your bike, but sounds like you may need to rebuild transmission # 1. at this point its just a guess really until i know the mileage of the bike. once i know that i will have a better assesment of correcting the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry that I could not get back to you earlier just been very busy with everything.

I currently have about 39000km

Converted into miles I think this gets divided by 1.6 which would be 24375 miles

Also did you ever have a issue with the crankcase leaking oil and having to open it up to put on a new sealant.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Belt replacement is around 22,000 kilometers. Some wait a few thousand more. Check yours, if it goes, it will be bad news.

Crankcase should be good for a long time..but red line is 8,800 rpm. So you might be pushing it a bit, eh!

At the speed you mentioned, it should be turning 6800 rpm if stock.

Sound like she needs some TLC.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So would it be safe to assume that a symptom of a belt that is beginning to wear out is higher rpms to maintain a given speed? And with the higher rpms, lower mpg?

I ask because my '08 400 is approaching 15k miles and I have a sense that my rpms are a bit higher, and my mpg a bit lower.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's correct Jeff. As the belt wears it has the effect of lowering the gearing, thus raising the engine revs. My new bike was doing 6500rpm at indicated 70mph after running in. Now with many thousands of miles on the clock and the same belt and weights, it runs 500rpm higher.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i havent had any issues with oil leaking. i change my oil every 3000 miles and oil filter every 6000. im at 57,000 miles and still going strong.
i dont have a givi box on mine but my dad has one on his 650 which looks nice and is also good for your passenger. they will appreciate it.
i rebuilt my transmissiom # 1 on my bike long after it already needed it. i have experienced what you are now. when you take everything off to replace the belt check the face drives on the front. they will probably be hills, valleys and grooves and maybe even be pitted. if the front face drives are bad, im sure the rear ones are too. you can check the clutch with a mirror without removing it since your already there. change the gear oil too if you havent already.
if your experiencing vibration out of the norm along with high rpm's, id say its time for a rebuild.
when i rebuilt mine and put in the 18 gram dr pulley slider weights, my rpm's were 5500 at 70 mph. before that my speed was 70-75 mph and the rpm's were 8500.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i havent had any issues with oil leaking. i change my oil every 3000 miles and oil filter every 6000. im at 57,000 miles and still going strong.
i dont have a givi box on mine but my dad has one on his 650 which looks nice and is also good for your passenger. they will appreciate it.
i rebuilt my transmissiom # 1 on my bike long after it already needed it. i have experienced what you are now. when you take everything off to replace the belt check the face drives on the front. they will probably be hills, valleys and grooves and maybe even be pitted. if the front face drives are bad, im sure the rear ones are too. you can check the clutch with a mirror without removing it since your already there. change the gear oil too if you havent already.
if your experiencing vibration out of the norm along with high rpm's, id say its time for a rebuild.
when i rebuilt mine and put in the 18 gram dr pulley slider weights, my rpm's were 5500 at 70 mph. before that my speed was 70-75 mph and the rpm's were 8500.
hope this helps.
Builds so much more confidence in this bike for me hearing from people like you having 57,000 miles on this bike and its still going. I am 34,000 now and so far no trouble at all besides normal maintenance and I hope it stays that way. I have alot of confidence this bike will go 100,000 without much drama.

Anyway sorry not intending to derail this thread :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
original belt i got, i think, about 18,000 miles before it broke and left me stranded on the side of the road. im on my fourth belt with about 8,000 miles on it now and ive noticed an increase of about 500 rpms at 70 mph. its 1.5 mm narrower than a new belt. sorry, dont remember the exact width, but i think a new belt is 27 mm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why are you eating so many belts, lots of stop and go? 57000 miles = 91700 km. I got around 23000 km. on my first belt and now sitiing at 34000,performance is steady without change. Previous belt was fine but was changed just because of age. Belt, rollers and guides done and faces emery clothed to clean up shadow wear marks. Clutch was fine without glazing and heat indication. 2011 3 shoe clutch still in service, no issues!

·
Registered
133 Posts
running both hwy and in town speeds. before i broke my third belt i felt lots of vibration. it was a new belt. it could have been defective but doubt it. they sent me a new belt. it was under warranty but i had to send them the pieces of the old one first. it had a 90 day replacement. after i took everything off i noticed a lot of wear on the face drives so i replaced transmission # 1 and havent had any problems since. runs like a charm now.
there is a big difference in tempature between us. the heat may have something to do with it, but im not sure. i ride year round. temptature is between 18 and 107 degrees fahrenheit. the three times my belt broke, everytime was during the summer months.
its been a learning experience for me. if i had to take my bike back to the dealer every time i needed something done, i couldnt afford it. for example, just to change the oil they want 175.00 plus parts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
oil change for that is just rape. By chance did you have the belt in the right direction. Could cause a delamination.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts