Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· I'm Retired
9,294 Posts
C8Chris said:
...I had a 1995 BMW R1100RA that I could wring like a chicken’s neck and it always returned a solid 50 mpg for five years. I consistently wring out the Burgman and only do slightly better. However, my gas fill ups confirm that my actual gas mileage is consistently better than what the display indicates. The only way I’ve gotten in the 60 mpg range is to ride so conservatively that it’s dangerous for the traffic I swim in. Defeats the purpose.

So -- to the Burgman 400 owner I met 10 years ago at the Chicken Rally in Alabama. You said that you consistently got 75 mpg. I don’t want to call you a liar, but… I don’t know how to finish that sentence...
I have to agree with InfernoST. Your mileage will vary based on where you ride of course. My normal commute has become more slow and go...with a few stops on the parking lot they call I-5 around here. I'll get consistently around 65 mpg in the summer months when the temp is warmer and there's more people gone on vacations, which makes the traffic flow smoother and faster. If I take it out on a trip, I'm up in the high 60s to lower 70s. If I was riding more often in the areas like Eastern Washington, I'd consistently get pretty close to 70 mpg (I think 74 mpg is my max), so I know it is doable.

Gas mileage numbers also vary depending on the amount you twist your right wrist ;) and how often you use your brakes. Your riding style might be more of the style I see on my commute during the summer months. I see riders about one motorcycle length off someone's back bumper. I can see them constantly using the throttle and then constantly using their brakes. If that's more your riding style, you'll get lower mpg.

If you are looking to wring a little more performance without spending a fortune, I suggest getting some 18 gram Dr. Pulley Sliding weights to replace your OEM rollers in the variator. The cost is minimal, and the rewards are nice. :)

There's also something to be said about riding a slow bike fast. A lot of riders will say it is more fun than riding a fast bike slow. It's more of a challenge to ride a slow bike fast because you can't rely on the power that you're used to with the larger bikes you've had. No one will accuse me of going through corners slowly. :oops: I attack them and often leave the rest of the group behind as they take the corners a bit more moderately (and sanely). I find it a challenge to maintain my speed entering the corner and stay smooth as I follow the line I want...and I'll anticipate the next corner to again keep my speed up.

I totally agree with you on how it is "an ideal ride for commuting and light pick up duty". I'm a guy who has always liked small cars, so the Burgman 400 really appealed to me. Dave_J enjoys his hemi engines in his cars. I on the other hand, thought it was a big deal that my VW Beetle could chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd gear. So you can see where my perspective comes from. :lol:

Thanks for the write-up.

Chris

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.