Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 AN400 had gone in for the 14,500 mile maintenance drive belt change. The mechanic noticed 'playing card on bicycle spokes' noise when the rear wheel was turned. There was a significant deficiency of oil in the case but no evidence of a leak on the bike or on the ground where the bike is normally parked. The gears seem ok but the needle bearings are toast. That adds about $750 (max) to the repair bill. :( The plus side is there's less chance I'll be broken down somewhere my cell phone has no signal. :p

Yes, I was having the original dealer, Aurora Suzuki in Seattle, doing the maintenance at the factory specified intervals. Apparently they never checked oil levels in the final drive, pre-sale or ever after. That dealer is now out of business, closed when the owners decided to retire. That leaves only one dealer in my area able to perform factory maintenance on the bike. I'd do the routine work myself however my condo HOA has rules that permit no vehicle maintenance on the property. Motorcycles are like boats apparently. the difference being the money is poured into a hole in the asphalt instead of the water. If it wasn't so darn much fun to ride...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, was the final drive oil on your 400 changed at the 8,500 miles as specified?

Do others ever check the final drive oil between changes?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 2008 AN400 had gone in for the 14,500 mile maintenance drive belt change. The mechanic noticed 'playing card on bicycle spokes' noise when the rear wheel was turned. There was a significant deficiency of oil in the case but no evidence of a leak on the bike or on the ground where the bike is normally parked. The gears seem ok but the needle bearings are toast. That adds about $750 (max) to the repair bill. :( The plus side is there's less chance I'll be broken down somewhere my cell phone has no signal. :p

Yes, I was having the original dealer, Aurora Suzuki in Seattle, doing the maintenance at the factory specified intervals. Apparently they never checked oil levels in the final drive, pre-sale or ever after. That dealer is now out of business, closed when the owners decided to retire. That leaves only one dealer in my area able to perform factory maintenance on the bike. I'd do the routine work myself however my condo HOA has rules that permit no vehicle maintenance on the property. Motorcycles are like boats apparently. the difference being the money is poured into a hole in the asphalt instead of the water. If it wasn't so darn much fun to ride...
Hey - that noise our hearing is the clutch bearing and its not inside the gear box either so that oil level had no effect on it. I just recently lubed mine up and pushed it back in a little bit and its quiet now. If you pull the clutch you'll see it in the back of the assembly and the factory lube is terrible and dries out into some freaky feeling candle wax type deal. Make sure its seated all the way and put some hi-temp wheel bearing grease in it and it will be fine. Mine was loud as heck and still felt fine when turned by hand. Just sharing my experience with you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm with burgman30102, the clutch inner bearing is the most likely culprit to make the noise you are describing/hearing. However, is the workshop tech saying they've looked into the gearbox and discovered the needle roller bearings are toast for sure? Although there are two needle roller bearing in the final drive inner gearbox I've not heard of anyone having problems with those ones. But too little oil in the final drive would do it! It's a shame you don't have the space to do the work yourself as none of it is difficult on the 400. it's a very diy job if you can spanner a bit and have a workshop manual. You don't even need bearing pullers to get the bearings out, even in the inner final drive gearbox, just a heat gun. You do it all with the motor in situ and just need new gaskets and seals plus any bearings needed. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree with Quantum (no surprise there); $750 is absurd/obscene. If you do go for this demand that you get the old parts, take photos of them and let us see them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts