Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm heading out tomorrow for a longer ride than usual and in unfamiliar territory and figured I would Velcro my older GPS unit between the bars. No issues with the Velcro part of this job but......the head of the power cord is to long and the glove-box door wont close. I tried a one into two splitter I had for the kids on long drives since it has a smaller cord head but its still to long.
Anyone else have this issue and what was the fix? Is there a 45 degree adapter made?
Thanks.
Mike.........

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I wired an extra socket behind the panel for my GPS. Pulled the handlebar covers and upper dash to get to it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You need a low profile adapter if it's a USB connection.
Lots out there and local places should have.

fits flush and lots of room for the USB head.

If it's a dedicated 12 volt plug tho ....might need some other approach.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, just like shown above, works in the 650 socket, but too short to work in my '05 Dodge Sprinter socket, the pin doesn't make contact with the power supply in the socket, I think I bought it on Ebay. So I bought a white one at Walmart for the Sprinter.
Later, Jim

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the USB chargers is, my unit (Garmin 1450) goes into this computer pairing mode on start up. It finally figures out its not connected to a computer and then performs the regular start up mode, but the process takes five times longer. And if you turn it off during its long pairing attempt mode, it will freeze up, necessitating a complete system reboot.

I've gone back to dc power splitter till I can hard wire it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes, just like shown above, works in the 650 socket, but too short to work in my '05 Dodge Sprinter socket, So I bought a white one at Walmart for the Sprinter.
You carry a spare resonator or boost hose with you? ;)

The only thing I don't like about the USB chargers is, my unit (Garmin 1450) goes into this computer pairing mode on start up. It finally figures out its not connected to a computer and then performs the regular start up mode, but the process takes five times longer. And if you turn it off during its long pairing attempt mode, it will freeze up, necessitating a complete system reboot. I've gone back to dc power splitter till I can hard wire it.
That sucks, my handheld etrex Venture CX has to be set in mass storage mode to do that. I really don't know what they are thinking sometimes. Maybe they offer a special USB cable that doesn't do that?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You carry a spare resonator or boost hose with you? ;)

That sucks, my handheld etrex Venture CX has to be set in mass storage mode to do that. I really don't know what they are thinking sometimes. Maybe they offer a special USB cable that doesn't do that?
Powerlet sells a special cable for Garmin units to fix this. I have somehow managed to lose mine, guess I will have to order another.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/miniusb-adapter-for-garmin-gps/357

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought an Enercell mini USB, model #2730448 at Radio Shack for about $19.00. The plug is short enough to allow the door to close. The cable from it is 6' coiled and is small enough diameter to allow the door to close over it. My Nuvi 500 only takes about 30 second longer to boot up with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE....While on my ride thru Massachusetts I had to make a pit stop to get rid of my coffee at a Wal-Mart. Took a wander thru the auto section where 12volt power cords and adapters are and they had a 12volt splitter that gives you three female power outlets and the male plug for it was real short and the lead came out the side of the plug body! Its a perfect fit! Its was about $13, has an on off switch and the thing lights up green when its on. Now I can have my GPS and if needed charge my cell phone.
Mike..........

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
So I'm heading out tomorrow for a longer ride than usual and in unfamiliar territory and figured I would Velcro my older GPS unit between the bars. No issues with the Velcro part of this job but......the head of the power cord is to long and the glove-box door wont close. I tried a one into two splitter I had for the kids on long drives since it has a smaller cord head but its still to long.
Anyone else have this issue and what was the fix? Is there a 45 degree adapter made?
Thanks.
Mike.........
This has probably ben answered some where in replises - did not take time to read tehm all.

I just took a regular long one, took it apart and cut off some length of the plastic. Then taped over the end ot it. WORKS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts