Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silverwing has about 3000 miles 2007 $4000.00 The 650 burgman has 1500 miles 2009 $4800.00 have not driven either scoot. What are your feeling between the 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to make the same choice a few days ago, and I chose the Burgman. It was a tough choice, I have had 3 other Honda's and they were great, my 2007 Burgman 400 crapped out (magneto) at less than 4000 miles, but 7 years old! But when I rode the Burgman 650, just in the parking lot, it just felt right!! Started riding in 1951 and this is the most "freindly" bike I have ever rode!! I just love it!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
For $800 the extra power, better tranny, comfort, 2 years newer, less milage... Burgman. 4800 is a pretty good price if its clean and maintained. It's within blue book at least. Offer $4k see if the seller is amenable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have both an 09' 650 Burgman and an 05' Silverwing. Although I like both, to me the Burgman is a step up. It has a more solid feel, a little more power, seems more stable, has a more comfortable seat and I like the fact that it has double disc front brakes and full length forks. Although I know I'm comparing an 05' Wing to an 09' Burgman, the newer Silverwings haven't changed very much.

Although both are excellent machines, for my money, the Burgman would be worth the additional cost.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had a Silverwing and switched up to the Burgman 650 and not one single regret.
The 650 is simply a superior ride.

Here is a shootout.

that got me into the category
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006models-Honda-SilverWingABS-SilverWing.htm

The SWing was a good deal, the trade up to the 650 was the best move I'vf made....best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.
On my second .....2009 exec was too god a deal to turn down.
My previous 2005 is still going strong with another rider.

Grab the Burgman.....get the grin :D

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I've owned both bikes. The burgman is a better machine. The silverwing is a cheaper to maintain scooter. Both have their strengths, like lower seat on silverwing, smoother ride on burgman. Purchase the bike that fits you best.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a Silverwing and switched up to the Burgman 650 and not one single regret.
The 650 is simply a superior ride.

Here is a shootout.

that got me into the category
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006models-Honda-SilverWingABS-SilverWing.htm

The SWing was a good deal, the trade up to the 650 was the best move I'vf made....best all around bike I've owned in 45 years of riding.
On my second .....2009 exec was too god a deal to turn down.
My previous 2005 is still going strong with another rider.

Grab the Burgman.....get the grin :D
+1....I've owned both......Burgman best by far IMHO.

:D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This is what know about Silverwing, in twisties it far from handle as well as as 650 Burgie, on interstate past 70-75mph Silverwing have more squiggly front, it not have power of Burgie 650, not have wonderful ECVT of Burgie.

Silverwing is narrower and lighter than 650 Burgie, if OP plan to ride and use in city only and city traffic all time then Silverwing or Burgman 400 better choice however for him.

On highway, in mountain and most other riding, 650 Burgie is KING !

However Silverwing is Honda product, so generally good bike.

·
Registered
770 Posts
This is what know about Silverwing, in twisties it far from handle as well as as 650 Burgie, on interstate past 70-75mph Silverwing have more squiggly front, it not have power of Burgie 650, not have wonderful ECVT of Burgie.
Honestly, I consider that a GOOD thing!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Honestly, I consider that a GOOD thing!
It obvious you have little knowledge and experience with this great transmission to post such comment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I test drove both the silverwing and the burgman. My primary use was highway driving back and forth to work 50 miles each way. The Burgman felt better on the road at higher speeds. The Silverwing is smaller and I did not feel as comfortable on the Scooter. For the cost difference I would pick the Burgman.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It obvious you have little knowledge and experience with this great transmission to post such comment.

I know that when it fails, it tends to cost enough to fix that it totals the scooter! That is EVERYTHING I need to know about it. The ECVT is the main reason I plan to buy a400 rather than a 650.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I know that when it fails, it tends to cost enough to fix that it totals the scooter! That is EVERYTHING I need to know about it. The ECVT is the main reason I plan to buy a400 rather than a 650.
As I say before you just confirm even more that you have little knowledge and even less experience with the ECVT and 650 Burgie in general.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Do you, then, DENY that a failed ECVT is an extremely expensive repair?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Do you, then, DENY that a failed ECVT is an extremely expensive repair?
There's no doubt that the ECVT failure is an expensive repair for us unmechanically inclined. But it is relatively maintenance free until then. Failure Estimates vary from 70k miles to well over 100k. For arguments sake lets say 80k.

In that amount of mileage, the 400 would arguably need 4 belt & roller changes, 2 new clutches, and numerous deglazes. All of which, if dealer done, is extremely expensive, perhaps even more than the ECVT repair.

There have been numerous arguments about this in the past, and my example is just for demonstration. And honestly I don't choose sides as I love both bikes. But the point is, ECVT failure alone is not reason enough to pass on an otherwise fantastic bike.

Plus you get all that tranny trickery to play with when you ride. It is a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's no doubt that the ECVT failure is an expensive repair for us unmechanically inclined. But it is relatively maintenance free until then. Failure Estimates vary from 70k miles to well over 100k. For arguments sake lets say 80k.

In that amount of mileage, the 400 would arguably need 4 belt & roller changes, 2 new clutches, and numerous deglazes. All of which, if dealer done, is extremely expensive, perhaps even more than the ECVT repair.

There have been numerous arguments about this in the past, and my example is just for demonstration. And honestly I don't choose sides as I love both bikes. But the point is, ECVT failure alone is not reason enough to pass on an otherwise fantastic bike.

Plus you get all that tranny trickery to play with when you ride. It is a fantastic bike.
for the record, you said "tranny trickery." just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also had both, the Burgman is a step up unless you are just a town rider, the Silverwing is a little lighter and better around town but overall the Burgman is the way to go, I had an '04 Silverwing, '07 Burgman and just bought an '09 Burgman the 4800 is a good price if the miles are good.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

for the record, you said "tranny trickery." just wanted to point that out.
Yes, I was referring to the 650's transmission's (tranny) various settings, like Power and Manual mode (trickery); Perhaps having a little fun with alliteration in the process.

I do hope it didn't come across as a derogatory term for the transgendered; i surely didn't mean it in that regard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts