Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Burgmans, just bought a '11 400 last May, and was wondering what the story is about the pre-2007 and 2007+ 400's?

Just want to be able to identify what I'm riding , and know something of the history of the model.

If the answer is plainly somewhere on this forum, please forgive me, and point me in the right direction to get the answer to my question.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
welcome to the forum and no there is no one size fits all one place answer, there was a change between the 2007 and the 2008 in a few areas that made it a good idea to separate it in to two categories in the posts here , one example is the 7 has one headlight for bright and one for dim
the 8 had 2 for dim and 2 for bright some valve adjustment changes, and other stuff, the black 08's were faster than the reds :p until I owned a red one then the reds were faster, there have been some minor mods since then but mostly the same as the 08's
ps before you ask about tires, put your location in or everyone will go ape poo on you

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it has 1 front disk brake then its pre 2007 with the update came twin front disks,
that's not all but to me the easiest to see at a glance.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
The 2006 and earlier was designed to compete with the Honda Reflex. The 2007 and later was totally redesigned to compete with the Yamaha Majesty. Both bikes are great and have advantages over the other. While the name and shape look similar, that's about all that is the same.

Here's a website with the differences outlined of the Burgman 400 models through 2007. It makes for fun reading. http://www.suzukicycles.org/Burgman-ser ... gman.shtml

The 2007 400 had the European headlight arrangement with one low beam and one high beam headlight. The right hand high beam is an H4 bulb and all that is needed to add a low beam on that side, is to provide power to the unused connector. It won't be a true low beam headlight because the light reflector wasn't designed for it, but it'll be close. And a new headlight reflector on that side would not be an expensive upgrade.

In addition, the muffler gasket going from the header to the muffler was poorly designed and would burn out over a few thousand miles. The 2008 gasket works better and lasts forever.

Other changes were in the CVT. The original clutch pads had a tendency to come off and then lock up the clutch. Suzuki changed the material, but then started getting issues with squealing and juddering. IMHO, the breakin directions Suzuki provided contributed directly to that with their limitation of 4000 rpms. It generated heat which would glaze the clutch pad surface. Suzuki decided to take a different approach to fixing the issue and focused on the cooling ducting.

In 2008, the headlight configuration changed to the way it is on all the succeeding years with two low beam and two high beam headlights. The regulator/rectifier part number was changed...and the part was later recalled. The CVT cooling intake was moved from the rear of the black cover on the CVT, to the front.

In 2009, Suzuki added a longer CVT cooling duct that brought air in from over the gas tank area. An ABS model was offered, but it doesn't appear than any arrived in the USA.

No Burgman 400s were imported in 2010. Suzuki (and other manufacturers) built too many models in 2008 and with the financial market falling that fall, a lot of bikes were not sold.

The Burgman 400 was brought back in for 2011 and 2012 as an ABS model. Other than the addition of ABS, I know of no other changes.

And of course, the colors change each year with the best years being the 2007 Blue and the 2008 Black. :lol:

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for helping me with your replies.

And mikeyMarine, thanks for pointing out that my user info needs to be updated...My wife and I moved down here to lower Alabama (about 9 miles from the Gulf coast) a little more than 3 years ago, and while the evenings after the sun goes down are really pleasant, the hot humid summer days can get pretty uncomfortable. But while riding, even the mid day sun doesn't feel that bad.

About the black, and then the red models going faster :D , I wonder how fast my silver 400 goes :shock: ?

Thanks again, and have a great day!

--Andy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Chris,

You've provided most information about the differences (and the reasons for them) between the earlier and later models of the 400 that I might need to know. Thanks also for the link. I noticed that you might be using a beaded seat cover/cushion.

I'm going to be needing some kind of inexpensive seat accessory to: 1) make longer (don't laugh) 2 hour rides more comfortable; and 2: to give me a little more height to completely look "over" the new AF-266 I just installed. Somehow I lost 2 inches of height after the two spine surgeries last year :?, and I don't sit quite as "high in the saddle" as I used to. I seem to remember reading about seat comfort options on this forum not too long ago.

Thanks.

--Andy

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You don't list your location in your profile, so you may not need to do what I did...

Here's the beaded seat cushion I would try first. It's all of $20. http://cyclecrafts.net/index.php?option ... 2&Itemid=1

I find the air flow through the beads is too much in the Puget Sound climate. I covered about 3-4 inches of the outer edge of the cushion from the border inward to cut down on air. That still leaves a small portion open in the middle. I get the additional comfort, but not the cold.

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link.

I've just updated my profile to include my location. Cold is not a problem right now in southern Alabama, although maybe December-February might be...I really don't know since I've never used a beaded cushion. If the air flow is that good, then the cushion should be great during these hot, humid summer days.

Does the bungee hook type of fastening system work well on the 400's seat?

--Andy

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
It should. I bought a BeadRider only because I forgot the other company was around. The BeadRider is about 2-3 times more expensive. It uses a cord to hold it in place. The area under the seat where this is going,is forward of the seal for the underseat storage area. I think you can run the bungees under the seat and hook them into each other.

At $20, it is a pretty inexpensive way to see if this is the solution for you, or not.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts