Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI. Decided to get the scooter out today, temps in the 70's here for the last week, no sign of winter, time to ride. Scoot started on the first try. Rode to the post office, all was good. When I got home I noticed no headlights, high or low Turn signals all worked, flashers worked, what's up? Pulled out the fuses, looks good. Looked at light elements, looked ok, aauuggghhh. Came to Burg forum and read through light issue posts. Saw one note about hitting the flash to pass switch, sure why not. When out and started the bike, no lights, hit the pass switch, they came ON. Works high and low. Burgman forum is a wonderful place for help, thank you everybody. This site rocks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I agree this place rocks! Being a new member myself and starting with an empty plate, there's no place to go but up!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Check your start button. Suzuki has a history with these. It doesn't make sense immediately but they route the headlight circuit through the start switch. That is what makes your headlights go off when you start the bike.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
May or may not be your problem and I do not know if the 400 is same as 650 (2007 650 I have).

Anyway, I had a headlight problem on my 2007 650 (as did many with the 650). It was related to the Starter Switch (one on handle bar) that does in fact break the light contact when you push to start. Sometiems when the switch was released after starting, the headlights would not work and I eventually also had start problems.

Assuming the Burgman 400 Starter Switch is rhe same design, maybe this info will help.

The black push button pushes against a white plastic slider that is part of a white plastic assembly behind the black push buitton. The slider has a Copper Staple 'Thingy' (shaped like a staple) that is in a groove. The staple 'Thingy' is pushed up out of the groove by a spring in the center of the groove (BY THE WAY -- if you take that assmebly apart, be very careful with the spring as it is little and easily lost).

The Copper Staple 'Thingy' is pushed up against contacts for the headlights when in the off position. As you push the start button in, the slider slides in the Copper Staple 'Thingy' disconnects from the headlights to engage the starter circuit contacts. When you release the start button, there is a horizontal spring that pushes the slider back to the original (headlight) position. The Copper Staple 'Thingy' is moving up and down in the groove while all this is going on.

In other words -- In the off position the Copper Staple 'Thingy' makes contact with the headligh terminals and when the switch is pushed in it makes contact with the starter circuit terminals.

The problem I finally figured out after taking the assembly apart a couple of times was -- The Copper Staple 'Thingy" fits too tight in the groove and the spring under it did not always push it up or it was not able to return into the grove when the slider was sliding back and forth as you push the start button. Things get jammed up and result in erratic headlight operation or maybe even start problems.

I solved it by -- scraping the grove in the plastic where the Copper Staple 'Thingy' rests a little wider and also bent the staple edges a bit so it would move up and down in the slot more freely.

Never had another issue in the next 50,000 miles or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts