Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking at a 2007 Burgman 650 to purchase for the wife. Scooter has 3126 miles on it, in perfect condition, and a one owner. Owner does not know about the Stopper Bolt problem, so I did not go into it with him, for obvious reasons, I can take care of that without much cost to me. Any other problems I will need to address on the 2007 model, this is not a Executive model, wish it was. I'm pretty motorcycles savvy after riding for 45 years, but never a Burgman 650. I will welcome any info you can add to the 2007 model and any upgrades that need to be done, thanks, John

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Not really. The only other issue I know of that can impact the standard 07 is the centerstand. There have been a few cases of centerstands breaking on 650s. The fixes have been to add more bracing to the centerstand in subsequent year models. Those solve the weak point but also move it to somewhere else on the stand. The 07 has most of those changes made to it but the last round occured in 09 I believe. That one added a brace between the two legs. It's not a big issue and has only occurred on a few bikes. You can wait and see if it impacts you or you can either weld a brace between the legs or purchase the newer model stand and install it. I chose to weld a brace across mine.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
With only 3126 miles I don't think even the center stand would be a issue yet. Same for the stopper bolt as the mileage is so low. If the price is right go for it.
For me the first upgrade I did was grip puppies and Bearcat back rest. I would look close at the tires not for wear but just age cracks because of time.;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought a 2007 Burgman 650 (std - not Executive) back in July with only 2,300 miles. Sitting on 5,700+ after just 3 months. Lots of fun to ride. No long trips, but a few 300-475 mile one-day rides. Had two V-Strom 1000s before this, and am enjoying the smooth & quiet. Still has all the power and speed I need. Love the underseat storage and easy maintenance (no chain!). If it's as good as you say - buy it! You won't regret it for a minute.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I remember hearing that there was a problem on the '07 with the Rectifier. Check out the "Knowledge Base" found at the top of the home page. I don't think you will be sorry you got it. Safe riding.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd be more concerned about purchasing a 650 for the wife. Is it for her to ride or for her to ride pillion? If its for her to ride, unless she's got some really good riding skills, the 400 is more appropriate. Lower seat height, less weight and power, much more maneuverable, especially at slow speeds. The 400 is more "scooter-like" because of the transmission.

If its for her as a passenger, then the 650 is perfect. Have a great time! Good luck on the buy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My wife learned to ride on a Burgman 400,and after a year or so when she was proficient and comfortable we went for a ride up the Columbia gorge and around Mt. Hood. I suggested she try my 2007 650 Exec, and 200 miles later she says to me "You cruel, cruel man - you've known about this all this time and let me ride a 400?!"
The 400 is long gone, replaced by a 650 Exec.
For the record, I love my Exec and will ride it for as long as I can keep it running. It's been down twice without hurting the bike (in Baja on 60 miles of dirt roads-it doesn't take a lot of sand to take this scooter down), and the motor/transmission has not had any issues (Yet). Since I weigh over 300 pounds the suspension takes a beating and I did upgrade it at 55,000 miles (after the Baja trip). Other than that, just the recommended maintenance and its never let me down. So as bikes go its economical.
For standard commuting Im kind of a wuss-when the temps fall below 35, or heavy rains are in the forecast I don't ride.
I've been through most of the western states on this scooter and always look forward to more! I recommend you go for it!

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
there is no stopper bolt problem... most of use replace it as a precaution...
this has been blown way out of proportion ....

a 2007 with that few miles on it should be a safe purchase, take it out for a test ride, put it through its paces in automatic and manual mode to make sure it shifts properly.

If the price is right, buy it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
there is no stopper bolt problem... most of use replace it as a precaution...
this has been blown way out of proportion ....

a 2007 with that few miles on it should be a safe purchase, take it out for a test ride, put it through its paces in automatic and manual mode to make sure it shifts properly.

If the price is right, buy it and enjoy it.
+1:wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info, looks like there's not too much to worry about. I'm pretty much into motorcycle maintenance and taking care of problems before they occur. I should have said that the scooter is for my wife to ride on the back, it's for her, but not for her if you know what I mean. I'm a dual sport rider at heart and the rear portion of a dual sport bike seat is not much. Once again, thanks for all the info.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too just bought a 2007 AN650 with just under 6000k miles. My first scooter since my 1947 Cushman when I was 16. Just completed engine, transmission and rear drive oil change and air filter inspection. Everything looked good - no metal on the magnetic plugs. I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years and getting used to the "clutch" is a brake along with limited (harsh) suspension travel are the major differences. I've already replaced the rear shocks with Progressives and 75/120# springs. I'm sure you and your wife will have a lot of fun. Not having to shift should make the ride much more smooth for her.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Not having to shift should make the ride much more smooth for her.
Unless you suddenly close the throttle which can lead to some head knocking when the CVT downshifts :p.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
2007 650. (Executive)
31 states covering 38,000 miles in 3+ years.
No mechanical problems.
Tires wear out anywhere from 6-8 thousand miles.
I completely wore out a new rear tire in one 6,400 mile 9 day trip.
One complete set of brakes replaced.
I averaged 50 MPG over the time I owned it.
Very dependable and capable of traveling above freeway speeds all day long.
Several 1,000 mile days.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
If the recall was done the dealer will put a small round blue sticker in the right side glovebox. I bought mine from a dealer with 450 miles on it and he would not release the bike to me before the recall was completed. I'm sure the dealer rec'd just compensation for the work done. Check for the blue sticker and if none is present take the bike to an authorized Suzuki dealer and request he run your bike's serial number to make sure the recall was done.

·
Registered
484 Posts
...Check for the blue sticker and if none is present take the bike to an authorized Suzuki dealer and request he run your bike's serial number to make sure the recall was done.
+1 Especially since it's a free repair.
As for the Stopper bolt... at 52K HARD-ridden miles, my '07 had some (minor) wear, but nothing to be worried about. Besides, it's a cheap and easy "fix".

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/blackmoon3529/slideshow/Toys/bike/Farkles%20aka%20Upgrades/Functional%20Upgrades/Primary%20Pulley%20Stop%20Bolt

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
74000 miles in East TN on a 2007 Burgman 650 (bouth used in 2009 with 1700 miles on it).

Never changed spark plugs or adjusted valves. Change oil every 4 or 5K miles and rear drive oil every 10K. changed air filiter once or twice, clean CVT Filter once in awhile. Changed the stopper bolt.

RUN Car Tires on read last 30000 miles.

Ride the heck out of it (all year when temperatures are above freezing). Ride gravel roads, mostly backroads of all kind (very rough some of them), interstate 60 to 75 mph, all over the hills and mountains of East TN (Dragon Country).

Problems I have had (previously documented on this web site, so no details here).

Start Button (the light on/off thingy). I repaired (sort of modified it so the little staple that moves up and down against teh contacts could move in the slot more freely - no problems for last 50000 miles or so)

MAIN BIG PROBLEM -- Rectifier or something went and blew every light bulb that was on, ALSO BLEW the 12v input to the ECM. Shut me down 40 miles from home. Friend picked me up in my truck. Found the 12v fuse blowing traced it to a short on the 12v input to the ECM Module. Found a used one (07 Model) on E Bay (lucky) and that fixed that. Replaced all the bulbs, bought a new battery, charged and ran the scoter on the battery (disconnected the rectifier and hooked it to a dummy load) to check the rectifier. Replaced the rectifier (Suzuki Part). New one looked physically different. No more problems last 30000 or 40000 miles.

PS; I may have caused some of that problem as I had installed an Old Battery from a KAWSAKI 800 (that battery ahd been operational but I repalced it because of age) because the scooter battery was dead and I wanted to ride it the next day. All seemed OK - but the MIAN PROBLEM showed up 110 miles later.

PS1; Found out from this web site that Suzuki had a Customer Satisfaction (not a recall) on the ECM due to idle problems on some 2007 models. I nener did have a idlel problem, but called them and they authorized a ECM replacement at the local dealer. So, I had the used one I bought off E Bay replaced.

One other problem that nearly left me stranded about 60 miles from home. Scooter kept running, but would not shift, dash indications were basically dead, and when I slowed it would shift down and not back up (so, I tried to maintain what spped I ahd to keep it in that gear). I nursed it home in some lower gear (no indications so I went RPM reasonable by sound), estimate about 25 mph top speed. Guys with me served as back guards using blinkers and telling me when to pull over to let cars pass. I was afraid to shut it off to check fuses for fear it would not restart. My fears were founded because when I got home - shut it off and it would not start. I found a blown fuse (don't rememebr which one without checking my records) and replaced it. No more problems last 30000 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
My fears were founded because when I got home - shut it off and it would not start. I found a blown fuse (don't rememebr which one without checking my records) and replaced it. No more problems last 30000 miles or so.
My guess would be the signal fuse.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wanted to thank everyone for the information that you have given me on the 2007 Burgman 650. I purchased a 2007 scooter yesterday and will pick it up on Thursday. I test drove it last week and gave the owner an offer, at that time he had to think about it, he called yesterday an said he would take the offer. It's a 2007 with 3162 miles on it, it is in excellent condition and the owner is a 71 year old retired dentist. Myself retired and 68 and still riding a Kawasaki KLR 650 when the boys want to do a little dual sport ride, I think the Burgman will be a good addition to the other bike. Only thing I wish was that the Burgman was the Executive model, but this bike was too hard to pass up in perfect condition and at $3800. Only accessories added to the scooter was a Utopia backrest and a Suzuki factory passenger backrest, personally I don't care for the Utopia backrest, I will probably remove it, sell it, or trade out with someone, but I will see what transpires after I get it home. Thanks again for all the help I got from your post.

John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts