Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where am I from? Tacoma Washington USA 2007 Burgman 400

I see a lot of scooters in the Seattle/Tacoma area. We sure are fair weather riders, and have days that are pretty unusual. For example, this morning I had a jacket and gloves on, and will drive home just in a t-shirt. Gotta love the Burgie's storage for extra clothes.

In case you don't know anything about Tacoma, we are 30 miles south of Seattle. We are famous for:

The 24 hour Relay for Life got it's start here in 1985 by Dr. Gordon Klatt. He RAN for 24 hours around a college track raising $27,000 for cancer research.

Americas most wired city - We have our own internet infrastructure

Ted Bundy grew up here

City nickname: "City of Destiny"

The DC snipers lived here and used a tree trunk for target practice in their backyard.. I watched when the FBI dug it up and all the news crews were here.

The Tacoma Dome - The worlds largest wooden dome structure used for concerts, basketball, RV shows etc.

Earl Anthony the bowler, born here

Dale Chiuly the glass artist lives here

Gary Larson, writer of the Far Side comic is from here

Mount St Helens - it covered our city with ash when the volcano blew it's top in 1980

Brown and Haley candy - Almond Roca! They make it right down the street from my office.

Galloping Gertie - The bridge made famous by swinging, swerving, twisting because of the wind and finally falling into the water in 1940. You've all seen the black and white footage!

Bob's Java Jive - restaurant/bar in the shape of a big coffee pot

The music group the Ventures formed here in 1958

Mars Bar/Milky Way candy bar - Invented in a Tacoma kitchen by Frank and Ethel Mars

Bing Crosby was born here

The movie "Ten Things I hate about you" was filmed here at Stadium High School (yes, the school looks like a castle)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and the Seattle Mariners baseball team AAA league "Rainiers" play here at Cheney Stadium...

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
And Toyota named a truck for the town.:D

The Tacoma Domes roof is made of wood, salvaged from the trees of the 1980 Mt St Helen blast.

I am just about 12 miles east. Welcome to BUSA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts