Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through the process of converting all the lights on my 2007 Burgman 400 to LEDs. It took me a while to figure out which bulbs to buy so I've created a list below that will hopefully help others; you can get everything you need on Amazon.

You will need to remove the front leg shield, but thankfully MicBergsma has an awesome how-to video for that. My recommendation would be to buy everything below and do it all at once, the front leg shield removal is painful enough that you don't want to be doing it multiple times. :grin

Total project cost is $112.50, which honestly is well worth it, I feel way more visible and therefore safer.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. I'm hoping this saves others some time, I'm far from an expert so there may be better bulbs out there, etc, but, these worked for me. :smile

**FRONT END**

07 + Suzuki Burgman 400 Front Leg Shield Cover Removal video ( Thanks MicBergsma! )

FRONT TURN SIGNALS
Alla Lighting 39-SMD High Power 2835 Chipsets Super Bright 7507 12496 BAU15S PY21W Amber Yellow LED Bulbs Lamps Replacement for Turn signal Blinker Light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPVLK63/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o09_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$19.99

FRONT RUNNING LIGHTS
Alla Lighting Super Bright T10 194 LED Bulb High Power 3014 18-SMD 12V LED 194 168 2825 175 W5W Bulb Wedge for License Plate Interior Map Dome Trunk Cargo Side Marker Light, Amber Yellow (Set of 2)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01732ZMPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$12.98

HEADLIGHTS
BEAMTECH H4 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Bright (9003 Hi/Lo) CSP Chips Conversion Kit ( comes with 2 LEDs )
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$38.99

**REAR END**

07+ Suzuki Burgman 400 Rear Signals / Taillight Bulb Replacement ( Thanks MicBergsma! )

REAR BRAKE/TAIL LIGHTS
LUYED 2 x 800 Lumens Super Bright 1157 2835 33-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Turn Signal Lights,Tail Lights,Red
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8BT40O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$11.99

REAR TURN SIGNALS
AMAZENAR 2-Pack 1157 BAY15D 7528 2057 2357 P21/5W Extremely Bright Amber / Yellow LED Light,Non-Polarity 10-30V-DC 5050 18 SMD Replacement Bulb For Turn Signal Light Tail Lamps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015A55PXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$10.99

LICENSE PLATE LIGHT ( you get 2, but you only need 1 )
iJDMTOY (2) Cool White 168 194 2825 W5W LED Replacement Bulbs For Car License Plate Lights (Powered By Osram)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNRUB56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$6.15

**Once all the bulbs are replaced you'll notice that your turn signals flash REALLY quickly. You'll need a new flasher relay to fix this - it's plug and play, nothing scary.**

RELAY LOCATION

RELAY TO SOLVE ”HYPER FLASH”
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UN4FXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$11.41

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Excellent. I was looking to do this.

Question about the headlight bulbs. Did you put H4s in both the left and right headlight position? The left is supposed to be a H4 low/high beam and the right is a H7 high beam. Did you mod yours so that both sides were hi/low beam or will the H4 work in both positions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a great question JRoss, I should have mentioned it in my original post.

The H7 bulb works as a low beam in the left side ( sitting on the bike looking forward ). BUT, if you buy the 2 pack from Amazon like I did ( link above ), you will need to do a very basic modification to the bulb adapter. Basically taking an exacto knife and whittling the plastic adapter away until it's the same shape as the H4 bulb you're removing. Very very easy, 2 minute job.

If I remember correctly, you end up with the left side bulb with it's LED diodes vertically, as opposed to the right side which are horizontal, not sure if this is what alters the appearance of low beam vs high beam, regardless, they work, and work very well.

Don't hesitate to let me know if you have more questions, happy to take pics as needed and help as I can. I've been so happy with the upgrade, it made a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In the photo of the front end, I presume you had the high beams on as both headlights are illuminated?

I already had the Beamtech H7 and H4 saved on my amazon wish list. I still have time to think about getting one of each or just going the H4 in both sides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion, I bought the H4 bulbs, and used them in BOTH sides as explained above. The H7 bulb will NOT work, the plug doesn't match what you have on your Burgman ( H7 is a 2 prong with a narrow gap in between the prongs ). And yes, had the high beams on in the picture.

·
I'm Retired
9,363 Posts
When I had my 2007, I did the conversion to make the right side both a low beam and high beam. I really wasn't satisfied with it. The reflector is made for a high beam bulb only and on the low beam mode, it lit up...but didn't put the light where it was needed. How is that working for you with the LED light?

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Chris, to be clear, I haven't converted it so that both sides are on in low beam mode. The pic shows the bike in high beam mode, that's why both sides are lit. In low beam mode I only get the left side ( sitting on the bike looking forward ). I'm thrilled with it compared to what I had with the non-LED bulbs.

·
I'm Retired
9,363 Posts
I ended up selling the 2007 and buying a 2008. Obviously, I liked the Burgman 400 platform. :) If I was to do the conversion again to a 2007, I'd recommend finding a right reflector on eBay. That's probably a moot point now, since that model is 12 years old, and the later models came out with dual low-beams and high-beams.

That's a lot of work for what you did and the write up is super with pictures and part numbers. Maybe the mods can make it a sticky? Add it to the Knowledgebase?

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thank you for the clarification.

Daboo, yep, I'm aware of the right reflector being for high beam only. I've been on the look out for a rh assembly from an 08 and willing to change the wiring. I'd like to have both lights for low and high beams.

·
I'm Retired
9,363 Posts
Another option is to add some LED auxiliary lights. ADVMonster.com sells one I really like, the Model 30. 1500 lumens in a tight spot beam that can be used in traffic without blinding others. Cost is only $40 each.

I'd mount them up high, like around mirror level so you are aiming them down and out, rather than parallel with the ground. You'll blind fewer people that way. I made some simple brackets from aluminum for my 2008 400 and mounted them under the wheel well opening, but after seeing how much better they worked on my NT700V where I mounted them under the mirrors, I'd go that way next time.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Converted the stock H4's on my 2011 400, both illuminate on low beam on this model, to Beam tech LED's. Really easy to access the rubber boots by reaching in and up from the front fender....basically a 10 minute job once you work out how the wire clip operates. The reflector beam is identical to stock, but a much whiter light for daytime riding, which is when I ride the most. Less excuse for "I didn't see you as I made my left turn." LED is on the left when facing the bike, stock on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
... snipped ... Converted the stock H4's on my 2011 400, both illuminate on low beam on this model, to Beam tech LED's.
Fusion, now that you've had these for a while what can you report? I'm particularly interested in whether the LEDs are brighter, provide more illumination at night. Your observations?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Converted the stock H4's on my 2011 400, both illuminate on low beam on this model, to Beam tech LED's.
Amazon looks to have a couple different BeamTech H4 models. Which ones did you use? It looks like the heatsinks are different sizes/shapes. So a little worried about fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the ones with the flattened heatsink, as opposed to the cylindrical one. For some reason, this site won't let me include the link.

However, I bought them on ebay for 30 bucks. I would say that any of the heatsinks work as there's quite a bit of wiggle room back there. First, you remove the Y collar from the LED, which you then clip on to the back of the headlamp housing (it only goes on one way). Next, replace the boot, making sure that that it's seated properly. Lastly, poke the LED through the boot and twist onto its collar. 5 minute job.

As for night riding, I couldn't tell you. I live in NYC...the whole city is lit up like Times Square and so I have no experience on a totally dark country road. However, in daytime, I can report that that dopey drivers definitely think twice about making a casual left turn across my oncoming path (which statistically is the biggest type of m/c accident). It's not because they're blinded; simply that my profile is easier to visually pick up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got the ones with the flattened heatsink, as opposed to the cylindrical one. For some reason, this site won't let me include the link.

However, I bought them on ebay for 30 bucks. I would say that any of the heatsinks work as there's quite a bit of wiggle room back there.
I just ordered these:

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-Extremely-Heatsink-Conversion/dp/B073ZD9ZPX

Right now, there is a 20% off coupon, so they end up being $32 ($34 with free prime shipping and 6% sales tax). They are a touch brighter than the ones @tjinca used in the OP. It looks like the heatsink is the same width, just all the way around.

I'll get them Saturday and try to get them installed this weekend. If I can, I'll post some picts of how they fit.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The h7 bulb is missing this dome/ bounce reflector that the h4 side has. When you flick the high beams on the h4 bulb almost looks like its not getting brighter but its basically a 5w difference and its noticeable if you look

I made a post regarding dual h7 but emant to say that id like to do dual h4. Will get another
h4 bulb and try the mod. The new fog/spot/pods being sold are too blue for my taste. Being a photographer my eyes are very aware of kelvin

Im not great with wiring /electric as it worries me a bit. I am willing to try when I get good instructions. I couldnt understand the mod that TechArtGuy posted here:
Why do I need to remove the dash as its noted?
https://burgmanusa.com/gallery/TechArtGuy/400stuff/tutorials/headlightmod/dualsetup/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts