Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Burgmeisters,
Sadly, due health issues I was unable to ride for the past 3 years so my 2007 AN400 (11,400K) sat in my garage with 1/4 tank of gas. I want to emphasize that I am confident in working on motorcycles and I feel that my knowledge and abilities should eliminate the need for expensive dealership labor costs. Now that I am able to ride once again and the temperatures are near perfect here in AZ, I'm itchin to once again enjoy the faithful service and high MPG my Burg can deliver.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Siphoned as much of the old gas out of the tank I could (approx. 95%).
2. Inspected the tank with a flashlight and found no signs of rust, corrosion or varnish...Phewww!
3. Put 3/4 tank of 91 octane in tank.
4. Installed a brand new, fully charged Sears Die Hard battery.
Turned the key, heard the beautiful sound of the fuel pump, prayed to the Suzuki God and pressed the starter...and pressed and pressed. The engine turned beautifully, but she never roared to life. I then put her on the centerstand and held the throttle in many different positions... not even a burp!
Next:
5. Put approx. 2-1/4 OZ of Berrymans B12 Chem Tool in in gas tank, shook the burg vigorously to mix and tried to start it again. Not happening!
6. Inspected spark plug: Nice light brown tip, and dry EXCEPT it felt slightly tacky.
7. Purchased new NGK CR7E plug, checked for spark (YES!!).
8. Utilized the precise calculation of placing my finger over the spark plug hole to verify compression (blew it off when engine turned).
9. Installed the new plug (assumed was pre-gapped).
10. Prayed once again, pressed the starter and achieved the exact same results. Decided to let the Berrymans B12 work its "magic" with the fuel system overnight.
Next Morning:
I figured that maybe if I cycled the key several times on and off that somehow by now FRESH gas was being sent to the injector so I gave it a whirl. I anxiously thumbed the starter and held the throttle in many positions and only succeeded in wearing down the battery. I have spark and compression therefore fuel is the culprit. I then conducted hours of research as the battery was charging in an attempt to find someone else who was gracious enough to post how they conquered my burgs issues and found lots of talk and almost no success stories that didn't end up with "had to take it to the dealer." By the way, so far the FI light has never come on.
Questions:
I understand that the fuel filter is in the tank, shouldn't the Berrymans B12 eventually break down and dissolve a gummed up filter?
Assuming that the fuel is filter is not being blocked, each time I turn the key and the pump is humming, does it "purge" the fuel line with fresh fuel? Essentially, does the system have a "send" and "return" line?
Assuming that fresh fuel DOES make it to the injector but it is stuck or clogged, what is the procedure to unclog or unstick it? Is there a fuel additive that anyone can recommend that will dissolve the blockage? Does anyone think that time is a factor in that it takes several days for any fuel additive to clean the system?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sounds like fuel injector may be gummed up - maybe you could test with the injector withdrawn and with all the necessary safety precautions to prevent sparks observe flow?

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
Agree with Norman, sounds like you might have an injector problem.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
On cars, there is a schrader valve in the fuel rail, to test for presence of fuel past the pump. On Burgman, I don't know....

Do you smell gas coming from exhaust pipe? Agree, find injector and pull it, put in a jar, crank it again.
Did you test for spark, at the plug?

Needed to make kaboom: gas, air, spark, compression..... Gas and spark are in question here

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Been awhile since I had a Burgy, but is the run/kill switched to run, and don't you have to squeeze the brake lever or something?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi 07. Yes this is not too uncommon on engines that have been laid up that long. Two things usually cause this. One, the injector tip gets stuck with dried, congelled fuel that blocks it up, and it also corrodes. Often when stopping your engine a small drip of fuel will be present on the injector tip, it's this that can cause a problem. Two, the injector solenoid gets stuck in the injector. First, do this. Remove the panelling to allow you to get to the injector. Then place a screwdriver tip (substantial screwdriver) onto the side of the injector. Next, lightly (and I mean lightly) tap the screwdriver several times as someone else thumbs the starter. Becareful as there is voltage there and you don't want to short out against anything and as a precaution wear rubber gloves. I don't think the Burgman injector will shock but I've not tested one before so be careful. If the solenoid is stuck it will often unstick it and allow the engine to fire. Failing that, take out the injector to clean the tip and test the impediance. I don't know what the 400 Burgman injectors test info spec is I'm afraid, but someone on here will. Just hang on. By the way. It could also be the fuel line to the injector and also of course as you mention, the fuel pump screen that is blocked with nasty stuff.

As with anything that has a voltage going to it, be careful. Don't do this if you have a pacemaker fitted. Good luck and let us know what goes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Quantum Mechanic,

I will wait for my son to come home from school and ask him to thumb the starter as I tap gently on the injector. Is there a more specific spot I should tap on? Meaning toward the top close to where it mounts to the fuel line, the middle, or on the bottom? I would feel more comfortable knowing what material the injector is made of prior to tapping. Do you know if it's metal or plastic? Obviously this will determine how hard or soft I will tap. I have seen this done on some cars but it was done using a hammer and a screwdriver (SCARY). If I dont hear back from you within the next 3 hrs, I will just tap the tip of my long #3 Phillips head screwdriver at various spots and hope for the best. I will post the results later.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
not sure if I am beyond time but do not use anything sharp or pointy on the injector or any other component you are only trying to introduce a vibration to help overcome stiction so something blunt and repetitive percussion rather than a huge wallop.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
On small engines many times when I have spark and no gas I will remove the plug, using a rubber bulb, add gas to the cylinder and crank and it will fire and clear the problem. Take care with the gas and do not slop it around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to all that offered assistance especially Quantum Mechanic from across the pond. I am VERY hapy to announce that with just a few light taps directly on the injector, my blue burg has roared to life! I just got back from taking her for a ride in an effort to circulate the Berrymans B12 and fresh gas throughout the system. I was astonished that she performed PERFECTLY throughout the entive rev range, like she never took a nap for 3 years. Now I will change the oil and filter this weekend and maybe even treat her to a new air filter. As if this day wasn't grand enough, my 8yr old son just got his very first ride on my scoot and I am VERY proud to report that he is now hooked just like his dad was 35 years ago! Now that my son is hooked, could my return to dirt riding be looming? The circle of life indeed!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yupper ....

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m269 ... 1711AM.jpg

started him off in dirt now he's chasing dad on his own 650sv he bought himself and he's only 21 - 5 years riding - no tickets, no crashes cept some wild ones on the motocross course.
Best way you could start him on dirt.

Oddly I was not riding at the time - but he really wanted to so I got a KLR650 and got back in the game and took him every week to a motocross course, then a little scooter on road ( he was funny - turned up his nose at the Jaz the loved it ) - insurance rates are a killer here.
Then a Ninja 250, back to bigger off road and then his SV. Proud of him and his change in confidence over that first riding year was incredible. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
8,162 Posts
NormanB said:
not sure if I am beyond time but do not use anything sharp or pointy on the injector or any other component you are only trying to introduce a vibration to help overcome stiction so something blunt and repetitive percussion rather than a huge wallop.
ok so how do I apply a wife to a fuel injector ???

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
07, I'm so pleased for you. And sorry I was not able to get back to you in time to answer your query. In essence of course you answered it yourself. And as you found out it doesn't actually matter too much where you tap. Any light repetitive tapping usually does the trick as the starter button is pushed. The B12 should make sure the fuel system is cleaned as you ride now and the injector tip will of course also be nice a clean too after you've ridden a few miles. I used to see this problem on all sorts of engines over the years when I teched. The remedy, it's just one of those things you learn and it works 90% of the time. The only slight word of caution I will mention is that if you find that the engine fails to fire again because of the same thing, even although you are using it regularly, then just replace the injector. It's better than being stranded by the roadside and they are easy and cheap enough to replace. The odds are though, it won't ever happen again! Enjoy your bike and keep posting to let us all know how you are getting on. Cheers for now... :cheers:

PS. just one point, in case you haven't already done it. Good idea to check the condition of your engine coolant hoses just to make sure the clips are tight and the hoses haven't deteriorated. Bye for now.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
07azblue_burg said:
A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to all that offered assistance especially Quantum Mechanic from across the pond. I am VERY hapy to announce that with just a few light taps directly on the injector, my blue burg has roared to life! I just got back from taking her for a ride in an effort to circulate the Berrymans B12 and fresh gas throughout the system. I was astonished that she performed PERFECTLY throughout the entive rev range, like she never took a nap for 3 years. Now I will change the oil and filter this weekend and maybe even treat her to a new air filter. As if this day wasn't grand enough, my 8yr old son just got his very first ride on my scoot and I am VERY proud to report that he is now hooked just like his dad was 35 years ago! Now that my son is hooked, could my return to dirt riding be looming? The circle of life indeed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts