Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at two burgman 400s, both with 22,000 mi. Both have gone through the 14,500 mi. check. Both are a considerable distance from my home.

Other than tires, is there anything that would keep me from buying one and making a camping trip on the way home?

John

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 2008 now has 34,000 miles and just put another belt on it, otherwise its been absolutely flawless and I'd ride it anywhere. These are great machines.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Unless they have documentation to show the belt has been replaced, you probably want to pull the CVT cover and check the belt condition. At 22,000 it is starting to get to the point it might be questionable for a long ride. I would probably also check the thickness of the brake pads.

You said they went through the 14,500 miles service. Have they had anyting done since then. If not they are overdue for a oil and filter change. By this time a 2007 should have had the coolant changed and the brake fluid should be checked for discoloration.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't forget to check the clutch pads also. At that milage you may be marginal. Just changing a belt/rollers and ramp plate guides is not enough. Whether a 3 shoe clutch or 5 is not a issue. it is how it hooks up and how the previous owners rode it that counts. How are the fork seals?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Other than tires, is there anything that would keep me from buying one and making a camping trip on the way home?
Your wife would be able to answer that a lot better than we could. I'm sure there's some "Honeydos" to be done. Lol. :D

Agree with the others, tranny worries mostly. Make sure the belt and rollers have baan changed. 22k is stretching it.

My last 5 shoe clutch lasted 28k, but the oem original 07 3 shoe clutch isn't as hardy, but i ride hard. I'd make sure there's some pad left on it

Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I shifted gears (sort of) and bought a 2008 model with 11,000 miles. Unfortunately, it's in Michigan, so I'm going to have to make some other excuse to the little lady about why I have to go on a camping trip. My neighbor and I are discussing doing the Natchez Trace for our first extended trip.

That means you'll hear more from me from this point on. I'm starting to watch all the videos so I can do my own 14,500 mi. maintenance. I'm fairly handy with tools, but mostly do woodworking. I'll be looking forward to getting help from this site.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Then no worries. K8 tanny should be good for 10k miles, but you do have a service coming up in 6k or so. Change the coolant also. It's time. You might also need a clutch deglaze soon.

The air & oil filters are easy. Spark plug is too. Valves I've never done myself, but most I've read is they rarely need adjustment.

Standard 400 advice...

Blip the throttle to 4500 rpm, then adjust speed at take off. Engaging the clutch quickly Prevents glazing.

Seat & windshield s.ck. look into seat pad, backrest / butt bumper extension & possible windshield upgrade.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh my... That's a lot of things to check when purchasing a bike, ummm let's just pop the clutch cover off and take a look at the shoes before I pay you!!!:tongue7:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts