Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all the forums and could not come up with a definitive answer, but here is my best guess.

First off, yes, it cranks. I was riding to the grocery store and when I came out it cranked and cranked, but didn't start. Ran my battery until it slowed down considerably. Had to push it 1 mile home.

After reading all the posts regarding non-starting condition, I think it is one or the other of these:

1) Vapor lock. My battery wasn't charged enough to crank for 30-45 seconds to clear it.

2) My battery was strong enough to crank, but no strong enough to run the ignition system

I got it home, put it on the charger and this morning it has 13.5 volts after taking the charger off. Starts right up like normal. I will go get the battery tested today for health.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't a sticking side-stand switch?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like that response. Or possibly you, (or a twit walking by) pressed your kill switch.. I've had that happen with kids screwing round outside malls, and they turn your kill switch on (or off).. Or a faulty sidestand switch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know the side stand switch is the answer for darned near everything (won't start, paint splatter, light bulb out, clothes stained, etc) but since it is cranking, wouldn't the kill switch or side stand switch be voided?

I am guessing something more in the electrical area. Battery juice is going to the starter so not enough going to the coil.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, I missed that. Duh!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'll guess battery. Even though it shows 13.5 volts, there aren't enough AMPS to crank it and fire the ignition.

Same thing with my Honda Shadow VT1100 :)( had to sell it). Would crank all day long, but not fire, once the teeny proprietary T-shaped battery was failing.

The cheapo battery test is, hook a VOM to the terminals then crank it. Read the voltage while cranking. I think :rolleyes: the min. voltage is 11.5, something like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I did mention that it cranks but won't start. So that leaves the side stand and kill switches out. I rode it to work this morning and it fired right up. So I will do the voltage test today and see what the crank voltage is. Just in case I'm now packing a set of jumper cables.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the spark plug and lead, it seems ok. After driving home last night, I parked it for an hour and started it while watching the crank voltage on a digital volt meter. Since my problem didn't reappear, it started almost immediately and went down to 10.75 volts. This morning, before I started it to go to work, the sitting voltage was 12.7 volts.. I guess I will go to the battery store and have them really load test it.

So far, my theory is I had that fuel injector vapor lock/flood that takes a minute or two of cranking to clear,and my battery just didn't have it. The day it happened, I jumped the dead battery with my car battery after I got home and it took 30-45 seconds of cranking to start and 15 seconds of sputtering clear the flood.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problems since then. The battery load test was inconclusive since the battery shop I went to said motorcycle batteries don't test well since they don't carry the high amps a normal car battery does, so the test may show bad when it is actually OK. So I'm just plugging in the trickle charger at night and all seems well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Your battery is on the way out, cheap insurance. Spend a few bucks and replace with a Yussa. Not Chinese crap thats available.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good battery "maintainers" will save you the cost of a lot of vehicle batteries. After living for 2 decades in the frozen north with temps -10F, -20F just average lows for winter and 12 years in the desert south west 115F in the shade(no shade). I keep all my vehicles on battery "tenders"/"maintainers". They work summer or winter. Vehicle batteries get destroyed when the are allowed to run down. If you can keep them at their "prime" charge they have almost double the life. I have 5 vehicles with auto batteries and 4 maintainers. The only vehicle that isn't on the maintainer is the one I'm using. BMW X3 battery is 10 years old and scooter battery is 6 years old, both going strong. The $60, todays cost, for 3 maintainers from Walmart is less than the cost to replace one of my vehicle batteries. Probably less expensive from Ebay or Amazon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts