Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well after 3 years of ownership and almost 40K on my 2007 650 I reckon I need to check this bolt. No issues. In all my reading, following threads here, and servicing my own machines, I had assumed that this is only a 2006 issue. And arguably it is?? But next oil change I'll check it just to be safe.

Being an 2007, would it be obvious if the bolt is backing out? Should I just re-torque it?, or take out and inspect and reassemble?

Thanks, ya'll.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Well after 3 years of ownership and almost 40K on my 2007 650 I reckon I need to check this bolt. No issues. In all my reading, following threads here, and servicing my own machines, I had assumed that this is only a 2006 issue. And arguably it is?? But next oil change I'll check it just to be safe. Being an 2007, would it be obvious if the bolt is backing out? Should I just re-torque it?, or take out and inspect and reassemble?
I used to have a technical service bulletin from Suzuki Europe where the had recommended periodically checking and retorquing the adapter bolt on the '05-up. With blue locktite it shouldn't be much of an issue through the factory procedure recommends using oil on the threads and under the head.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
I do not think that just a "Peek-a-boo" at it would show if it is loose. But putting just a 15mm a socket on it will only spin the engine well before the bolt will spin even if it was 3/4's loose without the 32mm socket to hold the adapter still.... ;)

If I were worried about in on my 2008, I'd get "THE SOCKET SET" above and just check it, then using a paint pin or sharpie mark a dot on the bolt head and the adapter. Sharpie may burn off as I think it may get warm under that cover. If I were worried about it.

Reactions: milburg66

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
I finally got around to checking my Primary Pulley Adapter Bolt on my 06' 650 a week ago, and I was in for a surprise, in a good way. I set everything up, I had a new bolt and blue locktight sealer, all ready to go. Then I tried to crank that bad boy loose and nothing doing! I used a 3 1/2 foot long pipe on my 1/2 breaker bar and pushed on it hard as HE11, and it did not budge, I thought for sure I was going to bust something for sure, maybe my gut! Anyway, I know for sure that it is PLENTY TIGHT and that IT IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE! So I just leave it at that, there is no way that thing is coming loose off of there!
Cheers!

Attachments

Reactions: Dave_J and Tromper

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I finally got around to checking my Primary Pulley Adapter Bolt on my 06' 650 a week ago, and I was in for a surprise, in a good way. I set everything up, I had a new bolt and blue locktight sealer, all ready to go. Then I tried to crank that bad boy loose and nothing doing! I used a 3 1/2 foot long pipe on my 1/2 breaker bar and pushed on it hard as HE11, and it did not budge, I thought for sure I was going to bust something for sure, maybe my gut! Anyway, I know for sure that it is PLENTY TIGHT and that IT IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE! So I just leave it at that, there is no way that thing is coming loose off of there!
Cheers!
Well you don't have to worry about that coming loose. Most I've taken apart had rust on the threads, kinda like locktite I guess. :)

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just saw this on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/32mm-Stainless-Steel-Universal-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Cap-Removal-Tool/162510832909?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid=555014&algo=PL.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=2a9d2195e2154765a0be7e42c6e9cff3&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-New-12-Point-SAE-and-Metric-Combination-Wrench-Choose-Your-Size-/272484012776?var=&hash=item3f715012e8:m:mkCJ-AHqyNtrwI6eIQqKW9A

Do you think it would work?? It should be good enough to keep the large nut from loosening

You will need a 32 MM deep socket to hold the adapter while you torque the bolt. I ground flats on the side of mine so I could hold it with a Cresent wrenc then put an extension through the center to get to the bolt with a socket that fit it. My setup looked like this:

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I wonder if that 32mm socket is deep enough to get the smaller 15 mm one inside on the bolt. Maybe have the 1/2 inch square drive hole ground out bigger but then it may not have enough outer area to grasp with a wrench to hold it.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
I wonder if that 32mm socket is deep enough to get the smaller 15 mm one inside on the bolt. Maybe have the 1/2 inch square drive hole ground out bigger but then it may not have enough outer area to grasp with a wrench to hold it.
I just used a 14 inch Pipe Wrench to hold the outside of the 32mm Socket. You can burn out the middle of the 32mm socket with a torch if you need to make room for a 1/2 inch drive to go through it.
Cheers!

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had an 07 650 that went thru 2 transmissions while under warranty, after the second I traded it and later heard that the new tranny failed, I am looking at a 2011 Exec because I would like to get back on a scoot, any similar problems?????

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Really none reported. Not too many problems reported on 2009's and up.... The 2013's have a valve recall but real simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
Just so new folks can see what we're talking about here's a pic of the problematic bolt with the cover pushed aside.
This is from my 07, which has never had the issue, but it looks the same save that the center bolt it not sticking out or wearing the cover (producing a tinging sound).

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yes, standard "Righty-Tighty".

But it only seems to be the 2006 model year that got done wrong from the factory. Over the years I think only 1 2007 was reported but at least 10 2006's have failed and a few members have caught theirs before it came all the way loose.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Just so new folks can see what we're talking about here's a pic of the problematic bolt with the cover pushed aside.
This is from my 07, which has never had the issue, but it looks the same save that the center bolt it not sticking out or wearing the cover (producing a tinging sound).

Thanks and Reps ....a picture is worth ....so much to a future owner of a 2006.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wouldn't it be great for some of our experts on this to make a video of removing, oiling/loctiting the bolt, and replacing it at correct torque?
I'm late to the party, but Burgmans are new to me and I'm not mechanically inclined. Video would help IMMENSELY!

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I do not have a running 2005 and up to shoot a Video of. I'd do it IF I could get my crashed 2008 out of the garage but its Tupperware is off so it would not be a complete start to finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The person from Kansas said he purchased a CVT adaptor Repair Kit from someplace in Poland. It shows a picture on the internet, but does not say how to get the kit. This is supposed to take care of the problem and stop the diesel sound etc. Can anyone help?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The person from Kansas said he purchased a CVT adaptor Repair Kit from someplace in Poland. It shows a picture on the internet, but does not say how to get the kit. This is supposed to take care of the problem and stop the diesel sound etc. Can anyone help?
David, I answered your post yesterday on the other page. But here it is below. That is the current Ebay link. But as stated this is ONLY for the 2002-2004 Burgman 650's.

Updated my post above with new link.

David L Ricevebbe, I do not know what year bike you have and you do not have it listed in your signature.

This adapter only fits 2002-2004 Burgman 650's and will not fit 2005 and up.

Mirek does not make these in Poland anymore, he sold the setup to another man that makes a quality product in Belarus. They are the same. But these newest look to be shipped from Poland.

When the old link dies it gets hard to find so if looking for this adapter search these exact words will get the newest listing to show:
Burgman 650 diesel noise

Newest listing link: Polish designed adapter for 2002-2004 Burgman 650's

81 - 99 of 99 Posts