Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Is the procedure outlined somewhere on the site? I remember doing this on my 03 and it was a extremely simple job, but as mentioned the 06 were redesigned. I just bought a 06 w/ 3700 miles on and would like to fix this as soon as I take delivery.

TIA
Spaten, Read here:

When I pulled the adapter on my 07 to change my belt it appeared that it came from the factor with thread locker on it. When I put it back in I used blue locktite. Have had no issues with it working loose.

This is a picture of the setup I used to torque the bolt. I ground flats on the side of the 32 MM deep socket so that I could hold it with a wrench while I torqued the bolt.
And more

Working from memory here as I'm not home where I can check it to verify. The deep socket is a thin wall 1/2 inch drive 6 point.

The smaller socket is a 1/2 inch drive 6 point impact socket. I used it because my 3/8 drive socket in that size is a 12 point and I wanted a 6 point for that much torque.

As you surmised, a 3/8 extension will not pass through the 1/2 drive socket so I had to use adaptors to go from 1/2 inch to 3/8.
:wink

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
This is what the 32mm ones I had made look like . The inside is bored out and the exterior ground down for a wrench to hang on to it . TheReaper!

Reactions: John T McGinnis

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Reaper, I'd like to get one of your socket tool sets. How can I get one?
McG, ride over 18 miles to Terrell TX and buy Craig, Buffalo, a slice of pie and I bet he could show you how to make one. :devil

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The big socket is easily found at any auto parts store as a hub nut socket 32mm for front drive cars. Grinding two flat spots for a large adjustable wrench (got at Harbor Freight) should be pretty easy.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
The big socket is easily found at any auto parts store as a hub nut socket 32mm for front drive cars. Grinding two flat spots for a large adjustable wrench (got at Harbor Freight) should be pretty easy.
If you have access to a bench grinder it takes all of about 10 minutes to grind the flats on the socket.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
No you will have to remove the lower panel under the left floorboard where the side stand is. That's an easy piece to remove. It only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thank you, You pretty much answered my questions. I'll get the 32mm deep socket in 3/4 drive, then I can pass a 1/2 " extension through it to a 6 point impact socket for bolt head. You didn't say the size of the small socket, but I have it covered because I have all sizes of metric 6 pt impact sockets. The 32 MM deep socket is the one I need to order. I have a 1 5/16" 3/4 drive that could fit, but it's not deep. Thanks again.
Ed , did you ever find that 3/4 drive deep wall 32mm socket , if so where and how much ? TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
How do you get the 3/8 extension through the 1/2 hole ? Mine wouldn't fit from HF . TheReaper!
Looking at mine maybe it was because I used a 1 1/4" socket?

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
Reaper - I got the 32mm Thin Wall Deep Well 1/2" drive socket on the internet somewhere. I just googled it. Can't remember exactly how much, but it was less than $20. It is labled GEARWRENCH 80827, but any make should work. You must get a THIN WALL socket and I still had to grind mine down a little on the outside to get it to fit. It's a tight fit. Either 6 point or 12 point. It's not going to take a lot of force, only enough to hold the adapter while you tighten the new bolt with blue locktight on it to 67 foot pounds torque. I did not grind any flats on mine, I just used a pipe wrench to hold the deep socket. The 3/8" extension will easily slide through the 1/2" drive opening on the 32mm socket.
I'm not sure why your'es wont go thru. Try it on different sockets to see what the difference is. I think some 1/2" Drives are necked down on the inside, not sure why. You may have to grind a it out a little, or burn it out a little with a torch.

MJR & Reaper - I am pretty sure that 1 1/4" is the same size as 32mm, or close enough. I don't have a 1 1/4 bolt head lying around to try it on.

"How do you get the 3/8 extension through the 1/2 hole ? Mine wouldn't fit from HF . TheReaper!"

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
MJR & Reaper - I am pretty sure that 1 1/4" is the same size as 32mm, or close enough. I don't have a 1 1/4 bolt head lying around to try it on.
It is I checked on my micrometer switching from metric to US and measuring the inside of the socket. 32.07mm.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
Mathematically it turns out to be 1.25 inch / .03937 = 31.75mm, but then they allow a little slack in the machining to allow the socket to slide over the nut, so 32.07mm sounds good enough to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just double checking...correct torque is 67ftlbs? ....thought I read somewhere it was 46...want to be sure when I do this job next week, that's all. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Mathematically it turns out to be 1.25 inch / .03937 = 31.75mm, but then they allow a little slack in the machining to allow the socket to slide over the nut, so 32.07mm sounds good enough to me.
Yes 32 mm = 1.26“ and yes 1.25" = 31.75 mm on my Mitutoyo. As with anything some sockets fit better or worse based on their manufacturing tolerances. It seems my US socket probably fits better than the metric one.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I have a large set of 3/4 drive Craftsman sockets , ratchet and extensions . The 1 1/4 does fit and the 3/8 extension with go through the hole , the problem is it's not deep enough for the 14mm socket inside , and there is no way to hold on to the 1 1/4 socket when torquing it down . Also when you order a 3/4 socket you have no way of knowing if the 3/8 extension will fit , and of the socket itself will fit in the engine case . Mine cost $5.35 for the socket , $14.00 for the milling and $7.00 to ship one . Grand total $26.35 for a loss of $1.35 .

TheReaper!

Reaper - I got the 32mm Thin Wall Deep Well 1/2" drive socket on the internet somewhere. I just googled it. Can't remember exactly how much, but it was less than $20. It is labled GEARWRENCH 80827, but any make should work. You must get a THIN WALL socket and I still had to grind mine down a little on the outside to get it to fit. It's a tight fit. Either 6 point or 12 point. It's not going to take a lot of force, only enough to hold the adapter while you tighten the new bolt with blue locktight on it to 67 foot pounds torque. I did not grind any flats on mine, I just used a pipe wrench to hold the deep socket. The 3/8" extension will easily slide through the 1/2" drive opening on the 32mm socket.
I'm not sure why your'es wont go thru. Try it on different sockets to see what the difference is. I think some 1/2" Drives are necked down on the inside, not sure why. You may have to grind a it out a little, or burn it out a little with a torch.

"How do you get the 3/8 extension through the 1/2 hole ? Mine wouldn't fit from HF . TheReaper!"

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
It's been several years since I bought mine and I don't remember exactly where I got it. I know I did find it locally here in Terrell. I think it was at either O'Reilly Auto Parts or Home Depot but I'm not going to swear to that.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have a large set of 3/4 drive Craftsman sockets , ratchet and extensions . The 1 1/4 does fit and the 3/8 extension with go through the hole , the problem is it's not deep enough for the 14mm socket inside , and there is no way to hold on to the 1 1/4 socket when torquing it down . Also when you order a 3/4 socket you have no way of knowing if the 3/8 extension will fit , and of the socket itself will fit in the engine case . Mine cost $5.35 for the socket , $14.00 for the milling and $7.00 to ship one . Grand total $26.35 for a loss of $1.35 .
Mine was even cheaper. Friend moving, gives me a free box of deep impact sockets, dig out the 1 1/4" deep socket, and grind two flat spots on either side where the 1/2" drive end is.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just double checking...correct torque is 67ftlbs? ....thought I read somewhere it was 46...want to be sure when I do this job next week, that's all. Thanks.
There are two different procedures for the 2005-up, both are close to each other in end result though I use the later.
Primary pulley shaft bolt: 93 N·m (9.3 kgf-m, 67.5 lb-ft) or 35 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25.5 lbf-ft) then turn 90° clockwise

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
643 Posts
I bought my 32 mm 1/2" drive socket at Lowes. I wound up having to take a round file to the inside of the 1/2" drive socket to get my 3/8" extension through. It did not take a lot of filling and a 1/2" extension will still work.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts