Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I have a 2009 AN650 that has 12780 miles should I be concerned about this primary adapter and bolt issue?
With a 2009 came a few changes for the good. The primary Stopper bolt on the right side of the CVT is longer and fits more of the nose of the bolt up in the primary pulley. From 2002 to 2008 all used the same size and shape stopper bolt and 2009 and up may all use the newer longer bolt.

The Primary ADAPTER BOLT issue that this thread is mostly about, SO FAR only effects the 2006's.
The 2005 was the first year to use this type of adapter and bolt and it seems to be no failures reported.
But 2006 there have been over 10 reported.

The 2007 and above it also seems NONE have been reported.

Reactions: E.D.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info on the adapter and bolt. I have already changed the stopper bolt (mine was dented a bit on the end but I figure that is from normal wear). My concerns come from a noise that occurs at idle after riding for a half hour or more. It sounds like the dieseling sound with a clanking sound. Prior to that it sounds great no noise or anything.
To be on the safe side I have ordered a new adapter and bolt and will install when it arrives. Should I be looking for something else?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
With a 2009 came a few changes for the good. The primary Stopper bolt on the right side of the CVT is longer and fits more of the nose of the bolt up in the primary pulley. From 2002 to 2008 all used the same size and shape stopper bolt and 2009 and up may all use the newer longer bolt.
2010-up (2011 in the US).

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Thanks for the info on the adapter and bolt. I have already changed the stopper bolt (mine was dented a bit on the end but I figure that is from normal wear). My concerns come from a noise that occurs at idle after riding for a half hour or more. It sounds like the dieseling sound with a clanking sound. Prior to that it sounds great no noise or anything.
To be on the safe side I have ordered a new adapter and bolt and will install when it arrives. Should I be looking for something else?

I don't like the "dieseling sound with a clanking sound" . I would pull the cover for the primary pulley bolt and check that NOW ! I would also check the oil levels in the engine , transmission and final drive . Then next time you change those oils check for any metal shavings in the waste oils . Then next time you hear it , try to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from .

TheReaper!

Reactions: E.D.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
Far as I know the 06 and 09 are about the same in regard to this part.
I never have seen any reason that the 06 should back out save that perhaps the bolt was an odd alloy, or that someone at Suzuki didn't put loctite on it.
It took me about an hour total for the repair. In my case this included cleaning the threads with a bottoming tap (carefully! Don't do this at home kids! I am/was a trained professional.)
I probably could have done it faster, but I was in no hurry, & wanted to get done, & get it right, so I only had to do it once.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just finished checking the primary adapter bolt on my 2009 an650, The cover plate was installed with the offset or recess pointing out. After checking the tightness of the adapter bolt I found that the cover only fit with the recess out. The entire situation looked like the Polish repair kit had been already installed. The bike only had 12K miles on it when I purchased it.
Either it had been replaced at some time or the 2009 adapter design is much the same as the repair kit for the problematic 2006 adapter failures.
Does this sound right?
Read MJR's posting a couple postings back. He answered this exact question I had.
(yes, it's fine, that's how they came from the factory)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Oops, I just noticed the comments about the orientation of the cover for the adapter bolt and the adapter.
Should have read prior to posting

To be on the safe side I have ordered a new adapter and bolt but I wonder how hard it is to take the old adapter so I can replace it with a new one?

While it's a good idea to have a new bolt ready to go , it's not necessary to change it unless it has come loose . It would be a good idea for every one to inspect that bolt possibly when the oil is changed . If you were to suddenly hear a clatter / clanging noise coming from that area while riding , you should check it out ASAP . In other words if it ain't broke ?

TheReaper!

Reactions: E.D. and Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Steve, your post was back in May but I was rereading this whole topic and think I needed to answer this (in BOLD above) part of your question. That noise to me sounds like the timing chain adjuster and or chain guides. You would need to listen on the right side around the radiator to see.

As said above, yours is a 2009 and NOT 1 have been reported of having the Primary Adapter coming loose, YET.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
So after reading this thread, I come away with 2 things:
1. either purchase a 2009 or newer (pref. 2011 or newer) and
2. stay away from models older than 2008.
As far as I know the 06 was the problem with the bolt coming loose , they forgot to use Loctite ? :cussing:

A new bolt , some Loctite and a quick zip off and on your good to go . I wouldn't hesitate buying any year 650 as long as it had good plastics and super low miles .............and it was priced right :devil .

Statistically 9 out of 10 of these will wind up wrecked , stolen or just dumped so many times they become parts bikes etc. etc. . Buy it right in the first place , and it's a disposable bike that easy to get rid of for parts or a project for some one .

I've seen a lot of people here who in the beginning complain that they won't get 100,000 trouble free miles out of one of these . Then sell it a year later and move on to some thing else , as if they've ever kept a bike that long LOL . Maybe one in a hundred people keep a bike that long , they either get tired of it or whatever .

Just find a low mile one with good plastics at a decent price and enjoy it .

TheReaper!

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
When I pulled the adapter on my 07 to change my belt it appeared that it came from the factor with thread locker on it. When I put it back in I used blue locktite. Have had no issues with it working loose.

This is a picture of the setup I used to torque the bolt. I ground flats on the side of the 32 MM deep socket so that I could hold it with a wrench while I torqued the bolt.
Hey Buffalo, I just bought a 2006 Burgman 650 with 10,000 miles, I'm going to service it and I'm going to check the Primary Pulley Adapter Bolt. I read through here about removing the bolt and adapter, greasing the adaptor spines and putting the blue loctite on the clean bolt threads and torquing it down to 67.5 ft/lbs. My questions to you concerns the tools, as I am going to order them now. What size is the socket for the head of the Primary Pulley Adapter Bolt? and What size drive, 3/8" or 1/2"? Then the larger deep socket to hold the adapter you said was 32mm, but was it 3/4" drive or 1/2" drive? Was it a 6 point or 12 point socket? Thin walled socket or impact socket? I ask that because the large socket in the pic looks black, like an impact socket. I am assuming if the smaller socket is 3/8" drive that I can pass the 3/8" extension thru a 1/2 drive larger socket, OR if the smaller socket was 1/2" drive, the larger socket would have to be 3/4" drive to pass the 1/2" drive extension through it.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
Working from memory here as I'm not home where I can check it to verify. The deep socket is a thin wall 1/2 inch drive 6 point.

The smaller socket is a 1/2 inch drive 6 point impact socket. I used it because my 3/8 drive socket in that size is a 12 point and I wanted a 6 point for that much torque.

As you surmised, a 3/8 extension will not pass through the 1/2 drive socket so I had to use adaptors to go from 1/2 inch to 3/8.

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
Working from memory here as I'm not home where I can check it to verify. The deep socket is a thin wall 1/2 inch drive 6 point.

The smaller socket is a 1/2 inch drive 6 point impact socket. I used it because my 3/8 drive socket in that size is a 12 point and I wanted a 6 point for that much torque.

As you surmised, a 3/8 extension will not pass through the 1/2 drive socket so I had to use adaptors to go from 1/2 inch to 3/8.
Thank you, You pretty much answered my questions. I'll get the 32mm deep socket in 3/4 drive, then I can pass a 1/2 " extension through it to a 6 point impact socket for bolt head. You didn't say the size of the small socket, but I have it covered because I have all sizes of metric 6 pt impact sockets. The 32 MM deep socket is the one I need to order. I have a 1 5/16" 3/4 drive that could fit, but it's not deep. Thanks again.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi all, I have 2 questions:

1) What is this "polish adapter"? or "fix" as it's called? Is this something people found on the internet to fix this slipping Primary Adapter Bolt?

2) Why is there a need for a socket-within-a-socket mechanism to tighten the single primary adapter bolt? Are you tightening the large socket or the small one? If tightening the small one, what's the point of the large socket?

thanks

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Hi all, I have 2 questions:

1) What is this "polish adapter"? or "fix" as it's called? Is this something people found on the internet to fix this slipping Primary Adapter Bolt?

This Polish Adapter is only for 2002-2004 Burgman 650's and will not work on the 2005 and up 650's. It was made in Poland but I think is is now made somewhere else. IT WORKS!

2) Why is there a need for a socket-within-a-socket mechanism to tighten the single primary adapter bolt? Are you tightening the large socket or the small one? If tightening the small one, what's the point of the large socket?

The 2005 up use a different adapter (not really an adapter). All years CVT's are the same sized splines but the 2004 down had a larger input bore on the engine side so it had an adapter that bolted onto the CVT. You can put a 2002 CVT into a 2011 bike and vise/versi.

The 2005 up has a stabilizing "Adapter" on the left side of the engine that has a large HEX head and a smaller BOLT to fasten it to the CVT. That large hex head is what the larger socket goes on to hold it from rotating while you tighten the smaller bolt with the smaller socket.

thanks
No problem :smile

Reactions: captainfish

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Seems even Burgmans sold in Poland have this issue.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/144801-cvt-problem.html#post1495305

Hi Everyone
I'm new here, from Poland. I have few bikes and allways looking for answers or help in US instead of any kind of EU forums. The reason why is because you have much more numbers of the bikes and you're more experienced. This is my third Burgman 650 executive with 67 kkm. I was driving in mountains and suddenly drive disangaged and stop driving. I gues that may be belt but starting today dismantling I found broken bolt (see pics). Of course will dismantle all drive gear but want to know if youn have any idea what could happens???

Thanks in advance

Piotr

Reactions: McGarret50

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is the procedure outlines somewhere on the site? I remember doing this on my 03 and it was a extremely simple job, but as mentioned the 06 were redesigned. I just bought a 06 w/ 3700 miles on and would like to fix this as soon as I take delivery.

TIA

I would suggest an inspection for every one when you change your oil , and if you hear a new sound like some thing rattling around don't continue driving it . One guy here let it go and it ruined not only the CVT but I think the engine too .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Is the procedure outlines somewhere on the site? I remember doing this on my 03 and it was a extremely simple job, but as mentioned the 06 were redesigned. I just bought a 06 w/ 3700 miles on and would like to fix this as soon as I take delivery.

TIA
You will need a 14mm and 32mm impact sockets , the 14mm needs to be 3/8 and you'll a 3/8 extension . Then a way to hold on to the 32mm socket while you use an impact to remove and replace the bolt . I had some of the 32mm custom made at a tool and die shop , and I sell them for $25 shipped any where in the U.S. . Normally a 32mm has to be ordered on line and they don't come in a set .

TheReaper!

Reactions: McGarret50
41 - 60 of 99 Posts