Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Administrator
18,208 Posts
There have been a lot of these bolts coming loose and rattling around till it busts thru the cover on the left side. A sticky would help warn 2006 owners to CHECK THAT BOLT. It seems that only the 2006 AN650 has this issue. Marilyns Prince had it happen to him and posted pictures as have a few other 2006 650 riders over the years.

Reactions: David L. Ricesvebbe

·
Administrator
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just this week we now have 2 new failures where the splines are stripped. This is a MAJOR FAILURE that will require the whole engine to be removed, the engine case split open, a new primary output shaft/flywheel, a new CVT and all gaskets. Talking over $4000 for a rebuild that may be saved by just CHECKING THAT DANG BOLT!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dave J is there any disassembly required it looks like not? I just bought a 2006 with 19,000 on it I am trying to learn as much as possible quickly. I plan on putting miles on it quickly . Can bolt be taken out & locktighted or should I take to a dealers for a check . Pretty handy (old millwight, machinist ) but not familiar with the suzuki burgman 650.
KeithW

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
You will need a 32 MM deep socket to hold the adapter while you torque the bolt. I ground flats on the side of mine so I could hold it with a Cresent wrenc then put an extension through the center to get to the bolt with a socket that fit it. My setup looked like this:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats the bit that causes "dieseling" isnt it?
I thought this was supposedly a pre 2004 issue?

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
Thats the bit that causes "dieseling" isnt it?
I thought this was supposedly a pre 2004 issue?
Close but no cigar. The 2006 has an adapter but it is made different than the one in the 2003/2004 models. The issue with the 2006 models seems to be that the bolt that holds the redesigned adapter on was not correctly installed on some of them. Because of this the bolt works loose and wears through the cover.

·
Administrator
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suggest an inspection for every one when you change your oil, and if you hear a new sound like some thing rattling around don't continue driving it. One guy here let it go and it ruined not only the CVT but I think the engine too. TheReaper!
This is an item that needs to be checked on the 2005 up 650's but mostly the 2006's have had this failure. Even if you pay the dealer to do this, it should be less than a hour time and labor to save you thousands later if it fails and the CVT splines strip. Just print the picture of this and show it to the dealer if they don't understand what your talking about, or have them open this topic up on their computer.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
There is a service procedure on checking, lubing (oil recommended on the head/threads but something like blue Locktite would keep the threads from rusting in there), and retorquing it periodically. The procedure is for '05-up.

Apply engine oil to the bearing surface and the threaded portion of the shaft bolt.
Primary pulley shaft bolt: 35 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25.5 lbf-ft) then turn 90° clockwise

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
OK, shall do
I must keep reminding myself that there are many many many many many many 650's out there happily racking up big miles trouble free.
Statistics and logic says that mine will be one of them
Fear not Burgman noob all will be good.
All years seem to have their bugs.
I had the issue in this thread on my 06. Not too bad a fix, and easy to keep an eye on now that I'm aware of it.

My 07 hasn't shown any sign of it yet, but it, and a few others had an easy fix issue with a fan wire on the right side. It was corrosion related, so you may not see it due to a drier climate.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
MJR wrote

"There is a service procedure on checking, lubing (oil recommended on the head/threads but something like blue Locktite would keep the threads from rusting in there), and retorquing it periodically. The procedure is for '05-up.

Apply engine oil to the bearing surface and the threaded portion of the shaft bolt.
Primary pulley shaft bolt: 35 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25.5 lbf-ft) then turn 90° clockwise"

Are we talking about the same bolt? It has been a long time since I worked my 06"Primary Adapter Bolt" , but I was thinking the manual stated to using Suzuki thread locking compound, not oil on it?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]Are we talking about the same bolt? It has been a long time since I worked my 06"Primary Adapter Bolt" , but I was thinking the manual stated to using Suzuki thread locking compound, not oil on it?
Only one adapter bolt. That's because people are confusing the '03-'04 ('02 overseas) with the '05-up. The '03-'04 had a adapter gear that bolted on to the CVT primary shaft instead of the '05-up that bolts on the other side of the engine case. The '05-up should be checked as part of a maintenance schedule and was covered in a EU service bulletin.

'03-'04 Procedure

• Install the primary pulley shaft adaptor with the special tool.
• Apply THREAD LOCK SUPER “1360” to the primary pulley
shaft bolt.
• 99000-32130: THREAD LOCK SUPER “1360”

'05-up Procedure

• Apply engine oil to the bearing surface and the threaded
portion of the shaft bolt.
• While holding the primary pulley shaft adapter with the special
tool, tighten the primary pulley shaft bolt to the specified
torque.
• 09924-51010: Primary shaft bolt holder
Additionally tighten primary pulley shaft bolt with the specified
angle using an angular torque gauge.
• Primary pulley shaft bolt: 35 N·m (3.5 kgf-m, 25.5 lbf-ft)
then turn 90° clockwise.

Is there anything like this that I should be checking on my 2006 AN400? I'd sure hate to have the bike essentially "total" itself because I didn't snug up a bolt every now and then...
I have no idea since I'm only familiar with the 650.

Reactions: mike D

·
Premium Member
14,208 Posts
In that kind of tightening procedure you are turning the wrench an additional 90 degrees after you reach the specified torque. Basically it's torque to spec then go another quarter turn past that point.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
What am I to turn 90'? I will look at the Manual and the parts when I open the cover, it might make more sense.
In that kind of tightening procedure you are turning the wrench an additional 90 degrees after you reach the specified torque. Basically it's torque to spec then go another quarter turn past that point.
As Buffalo said. :smile

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
It's not that bad if you're aware and catch it before it loosens up. I just check the bolt on my 07 when I change the oil. So far no issues but if it shows a problem It'll be easy to fix before anything major occurs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
"2006 = %$%tard Year!"

Not true! As tromper stated, all years have their own strengths and weakneses. Other than this issue, and normal wear and tear, I've had no issues! Last year I rode it to Deadhorse, Alaska and had no issues (that was after I repaired the bolt). I also ride it everyday, rain or shine, temperatures from the teens to 100 plus. Staying informed of issues and potential issues such as this, and regular maintenance, and any year Burgman is a great ride!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been trying to read about this bolt as much as possible, as I also have a 2006 model, with 13K on the odometer. Is this something that I can take an impact gun to, and give a few "quick pulls" of the trigger to make sure it's tight?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cherie, are we referring to the same bolt? I thought that the primary bolt was this picture, that's the first picture on the first page:

If you're referring to the "stopper bolt", I knew not to over-torque that one. In fact, I was going to go purchase a new one as preventative maintenance item.

Forgive me, as I'm still learning the part names and such. It's probably me who is confused.

·
Administrator
18,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That bolt in the picture can be "Blipped" with a low powered impact gun. But there is a tool that can be made to get the correct torque on it made from a larger 3/4 inch drive socket that a 3/8 drive extension can fit thru. Buffloe has posted pictures of his setup.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts