Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month on a hot day I was sitting in a parking lot with bike running and all the sudden I noticed steam coming from the bike below my left foot. I looked down at the temp gauge and it was pegged full bars. Shut the bike down and parked it. It appeared all the coolant had blown out due to a ruptured hose. Today I fill the overflow reservoir with distilled water to find the leak. I let it run for a while on the center stand and nothing was leaking. Then I took it for a ride around the block. Still nothing leaking. Temp gauge in normal range. Is there a blowoff valve in the coolant system? Any ideas on what happened here?

Can someone point me to a blowup diagram of the coolant system on this bike? I think I'm going to replace all the rubber hoses. If you have part numbers for the hoses can you please send them to me?

Also, what kind of coolant should I be using in it? Specifically something I can buy locally at advanced auto or O'reillys. Closest Suzuki dealer is 40 miles away and I'd like to buy something local if I can.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
It is possible that you did not have any leaks. What may have happened is that the cooling fan did not come on and allowed the bike to overheat.

The cooling fan is located on the back of the radiator. First thing to do is reach in to it and see if you can turn the blades freely by hand. If not then check to see if it has been pushed up into the radiator. To do that take the front radiator cover off then remove the 10 mm bolt on the left side of the radiator that secures it to the frame. Once you do that you can swing the radiator away from the bike and gain access to the back to take the fan off.

If the fan turns freely then locate the wires leading to the fan and unplug them. Jumper 12 volts to the fan side of the plug and see if the fan turns on. If it does not then you likely have a bad fan motor. If it does then thermo switch screwed into the bottom of the radiator may not be working. Start the bike and let it idle for an extended period watching the temp gauge. If the gauge goes to 4 bars and the fan does not come on then the thermo switch is probably bad.

As for changing the hoses, you will need to remove the front box to gain access to all of them. Once you do you will see all the hoses running down the right side of the engine except for the oil cooler hoses. Those run from the water pump under the engine to the oil cooler between the oil filter and the engine.

This fiche shows you the hoses from the radiator to the engine. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=434601&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2006&fveh=10159

This one shows the hoses to the oil cooler. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=434598&category=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2006&fveh=10159

If your fan is working then it is possible your thermostat stuck closed allowing the engine to overheat.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
In answer to your other questions, there is no blowoff valve but the radiator cap will open allowing excess coolant pressure to flow back to the overflow bottle.

For coolant you can use an aluminum safe coolant like Preston. That is what I am using in mine.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How often have you been checking your coolant? You didn't say if it was low or not just that you added some distilled water. How long have you had your scooter? If you have had it very long and you don't know what kind of coolant to use my guess is your coolant has just went down slowly which isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often have you been checking your coolant? You didn't say if it was low or not just that you added some distilled water. How long have you had your scooter? If you have had it very long and you don't know what kind of coolant to use my guess is your coolant has just went down slowly which isn't uncommon.
Good way to get your post count up. Did you not read the part about me sitting in parking lot with steam coming out of the lower left?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
zappacat, yes I read the part about me sitting in parking lot with steam coming out of the lower left. That's why I asked how often you checked the coolant. Usually if steam is coming out instead of water it means it is low on coolant. If you would've told me you how long it's been from the last time you checked the coolant it would give me an idea how quickly the coolant went down. And I asked how long you've had your scooter to try to find out if you knew the history of it.
Your comment about my post count gives me the impression you're pissed off at me for trying to help, this I don't understand.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If your coolant level was good when you started out and since you were sitting still with it running I would say it's very likely as Buffalo pointed out that for some reason the cooling fan did not turn on (fuse, jammed fan, broken/bad sensor at the bottom of the radiator) causing the coolant to boil, the cap to vent coolant into the overflow tank and onto the ground from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had poked a hole in my radiator (accidentally, of course) once when changing my spark plugs. There is a wire clip that I didn't bend back far enough to the engine. Over time, it rubbed a hole in the center of the radiator. What a pisser! Yeah I was really pissed too when I figured it out. Instead of purchasing a new one, I put a glob of jb weld on the hole. It's been running good ever since.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts