Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking info: when in manual and in 5th gear, selecting up once more, OD shows in window, is this overdrive? When is it recomended to use this OD and what does it accomplish? Thanks for your comments

Crabman

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
Over Drive is really over rated. In auto mode it will advance the CVT to the same ratio but it will not stay in that ratio as you move the throttle or hit a hill. Putting it in OD locks it at that ratio so if you are on fairly flat ground it will not drop the ratios and you MAY get a bit better gas mileage. I can stay in OD even in some of our mountain passes and I get 3-5 better MPG. Thats about 15 to 20 more miles per tank and on a long trip it matters a lot.

On the 02-04 non-OD 650's if I were cruzing in auto on real flat ground and was very steady on the throttle it would drop the RPM's 100 to 200 lower than if I locked it in 5th. So we were getting OD but could not lock it in. But I averaged 54 MPG even without a true OD.

·
Registered
735 Posts
On my K4, if I'm in "5th" at 55pmh or more and switch to D mode, the engine RPM drops by a few hundred. So my K4's doing the same thing Dave, that's comforting.

I'd faint if I ever saw 54mpg. Are you sure you don't mean 45? That's what my 650's locked into. Must be my big Clearview shield and my 225-pound lardbutt. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's all in how you drive and what the terrain is like. Here in FL I have flat ground and I hammer neither the throttle nor the brake, leaving lots of room around myself to escape on a moment's notice. I regularly get 53mpg while commuting on my 650.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Well, as Dave will attest the terrain around here is similar to San Francisco. In 1.5 miles, I have to climb from sea level to 1,000ft altitude to get home; the hilltop is just behind me at 1,200ft. As I recall, the highest point in FL is 300ft ;-) Much of downtown Seattle was sluiced into Puget Sound 100 years ago because it was so mountainous (look up the "Denny Regrade"). And I usually baby the 650, I don't know if I've ever experienced WOT (wide-open throttle) yet. OK, maybe once or twice. I saw 52mpg once last summer, on a 200-miler with speeds under 50mph running pure gasoline.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Over Drive is really over rated. In auto mode it will advance the CVT to the same ratio but it will not stay in that ratio as you move the throttle or hit a hill. Putting it in OD locks it at that ratio so if you are on fairly flat ground it will not drop the ratios and you MAY get a bit better gas mileage. I can stay in OD even in some of our mountain passes and I get 3-5 better MPG. Thats about 15 to 20 more miles per tank and on a long trip it matters a lot.

On the 02-04 non-OD 650's if I were cruzing in auto on real flat ground and was very steady on the throttle it would drop the RPM's 100 to 200 lower than if I locked it in 5th. So we were getting OD but could not lock it in. But I averaged 54 MPG even without a true OD.

X2!!

I played with this extensively, on FOUR cross-country, thousands-of-miles trips...it SEEMS, immediately, that manual OD gets you lower RPMs.

Adding up fuel...it's the same. And it's a major headache. AND...you lose engine braking when you're in MAN.

Leave it be, unless you're dragging. It's a CVT.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2012 650 and when I am running 55-60 MPH on level ground I find I can switch to manual and push it up to OD and get better gas mileage. I can see the improvement most significantly right after a fill up when the averages are using a short number of the recent calculations. It levels off over time as the starting and stopping bring the overall average down.
I usually get 45-50 MPG most of the time and can get 50-55 on level long runs using the manual OB when cruising 55-60 MPH> I also find using manual reduces the engine braking somewhat when slowing down or going downhill. I find it useful and entertaining when on long trips and do not use the technique when on short trips and local runs. Not worth the effort on short runs.

I seldom run much over 55 MPH except if I have to be on an interstate or big 4 lane. I try to avoid those boring runs as much as possible!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It's all in how you drive and what the terrain is like. Here in FL I have flat ground and I hammer neither the throttle nor the brake, leaving lots of room around myself to escape on a moment's notice. I regularly get 53mpg while commuting on my 650.
I live in the mountains and ride my 650 pretty hard with speeds limited to 40-50 due to the curvy roads. I get the best mileage by leaving it in D and letting the bike do the work. In general running around, I get in the high 40s and traveling on longer trips, I get in the low 50s (52-54).

·
Registered
55 Posts
My experience is limited, but in the hills of Eastern Ky I see the same thing: I get better mileage in Drive. There does not seem to be enough flat ground to let the bike run in OD for any length of time.
Marco

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I was coming home in fast traffic with a tailwind so decided to switch to manual to see ifI could lower the RPM.
It switched into 5th and the RPM went up so clearly the bike was already in the tallest speed to rpm slot.

Switched back to drive and teh RPM dropped to 4500 at an indicated 120 kph.
That'll do but sure used a lot of gas on the slab and even more on the twists in power mode.
I swear fuel was the costliest part of the trip.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Out here in S.E New Mexico the terrain for the most part is rolling hills ( Cloudcroft and Ruidoso not included in that). I have a rostra cruise control on my bike a regularly run to the Panhandle of Texas and at 77 indicated ( 70 actual) I get around 52 - 54 mpg ( wind direction dependant) that's with it in OD. I have driven that same run in Drive and there seems to be about 2 mpg less difference ( again wind direction dependant ) . The biggest reason I run in OD is to keep the RPM down while traversing the hills, the bike has plenty of torque to pull me and itself up and down the hills so I don't worry about it too much. Also realize that I am at 3500+' of elevation and I can attest to you the higher you go the better mileage you'll get. My DL1000 regularly got 46 - 48 MPG at home but in Corpus Christi ( sea level) I had to work to get it to 40 MPG.

Greg

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2006 650 that I just bought this past spring. I am a big guy but ride very gently. I get 54 mpg consistently. Always keep it in "Drive". I have used Manual a time or two and have noticed a shudder when going up through the gears. Normal?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Most of my riding is spent commuting, and consumption figures for this can be seen in my signature, but on an extended open road ride, these increase by about 10mpg.
Most of th time I leave them in Drive, I occasionally ride in manual, to keep my hand in, so to speak, and when on a run once clear of traffic lights for a while, I'll go into manual (which will default to 5th, and up into 6th), which reduces the revs.....if I rememebr to do so.

Either way, it beats Suzuki's claimed 38mpg. So I'm happy.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use manual a lot and never feel any shudder. The only thing I notice is that the 1-2 upshift takes a little longer than the others.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'll modify that statement ... if you short-shift and ask the engine for torque below about 2800RPM then he'll complain a little and you'll feel the individual power pulses. Maybe that's the "shudder" you feel? If so then it's completely normal but not necessarily nice to the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts