Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just acquired a 2006 Burgman 400 S Type and I'm having a bit of an issue I'd like some input from you guys.

The bike is in great conditions and looks like new- it does have 21,000 miles but other than the issue I'm inquiring about it runs good. I'did a FULL tune up (oil, ALL filters, spark plug, etc) to it just cause I know when and that it was in fact done at least by some one competent.

My problem is that the bike has this "sputting" / hesitation when you first give it gas from a dead stop- in other words, if I'm at a stop sign and is my turn to go, I give it gas and at that moment there's a hesitation, almost like a spark plug miss, before the revs go up and then runs normal again. This happens all the time whether cold or warm/working temperature. If this bike was carburated, I'd tend to think that the carbs needed cleaning; particularly the low/idle jets and/or passages; but as far as I know this bike is fuel injected. I have dumped a can of good quality fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank with no help. So I'm beginning to think the problem MAY be electrical?

What am I missing? I'm very mechanically inclined/skilled but I do not know enough about this bikes to think systematically.

So please help if you can and as always, your help and input is very appreciated.

thanks!

jamie s.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Have you cleaned or renewed the air filter. Have you put new good gas in it. Electrical faults generally mean the bike stops fuel air issues cause hesitancy sputtering The guys on here recommend Seafoam I think, we dont have that in UK as far as I know.
It it runs ok after the engine picks up I would suspect a fuel issue maybe an air leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you cleaned or renewed the air filter. Have you put new good gas in it. Electrical faults generally mean the bike stops fuel air issues cause hesitancy sputtering The guys on here recommend Seafoam I think, we dont have that in UK as far as I know.
It it runs ok after the engine picks up I would suspect a fuel issue maybe an air leak.
yes air filter is brand new oem filler. Gas is also new/fresh gas and I use StarTron additive in it as I feel is the best product I’ve found. I use it in anything from cars to mowers to yard gas equipment with excellent results.

Yes once the bike is going I do not notice it as much; but it may be because the higher revs are making it. Over all it seems to be ok at speed

·
Registered
782 Posts
Does it tick over evenly? If so maybe a glazed clutch. Is the belt within tolerances rollers good?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies!

Well you bring up a good point, while I wouldn't think that would be the case the given issue I am having, you are right- that's something I have not checked and probably should check for sure.

thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just for some background, is this your first scooter? Wondering if it could be more of a clutch issue. Scooter drive trains naturally have a bit of lag when taking off and frequently you can have clutch "judder" as the clutch pads engage. If you aren't familiar with scooter CVT issues this might seem like an engine issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G-Dub, as a matter of fact yes this is my first Burgman and yes what you say does make sense. I'm going to have to try and ride another one to compare but when I was looking around for one I test drove a couple and I just don't remember the others doing this- I think I would of remember that. ( I actually bought this one for the wife so she learns how to ride. I have a regular m/c and is manual with clutch so no issues with it).

You do bring a VERY good point thou! now I'm wondering if that is it...

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If everything is working to specs, the only way to get going quicker is twist the throttle more. It's difficult to know if everything is functioning properly just from a description, as they tend to be a bit subjective. At your mileage it's quite possible there are issues with the variator, clutch or belt, or even as you suspected, the engine. If you let us know your location there is a small chance there is someone on here who could meet up with you and test it to see what's up, or maybe you know a local scooter rider who could look at it. At a minimum, I would delve into the CVT and check out the roller weights, pulley sheaves, belt, clutch pads and clutch bell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If everything is working to specs, the only way to get going quicker is twist the throttle more. It's difficult to know if everything is functioning properly just from a description, as they tend to be a bit subjective. At your mileage it's quite possible there are issues with the variator, clutch or belt, or even as you suspected, the engine. If you let us know your location there is a small chance there is someone on here who could meet up with you and test it to see what's up, or maybe you know a local scooter rider who could look at it. At a minimum, I would delve into the CVT and check out the roller weights, pulley sheaves, belt, clutch pads and clutch bell.
that would be great if I can meet someone and have it looked at. I’m in Nashville, TN area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts