Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my scooter in the rain back from work and when I got home everything was fine. I go to turn it back on and the starter switch was jammed. So I took apart the starter switch assembly and fixed that issue, now the lights will not turn on. High or low beams. Break lights and turn signals both work. Just not any headlights. Thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You didn't reassemble the starter switch correctly. Does it start (i.e. did you lose the little copper bar that comprises the contactor part of the switch maybe)? Don't ask me why I pose the question :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the bike will start and drive fine. No problems there. Now that I think about it could it have been from the rain? And if a fuse blew would all the other lights still work?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi and lo beams each have their own fuse. Signals have their own separate fuse.
You can look here for a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Most likely is a reassembly issue (possibly resulting in both fuses blown) preventing that switch from making the proper connections.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You know... I've never actually laid eyes on them. I think the fuse block is under the upper portion of the front leg shield. Around the battery. Then again, I have a 2011, your may be different. I'm pretty sure they are standard blade type mini fuses and I'm sure your local Autozone/Pep Boys/Whatever will have appropriate replacements.

Others around here have fieldstripped their 400's and have more complete knowledge in this area.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
They are standard blade type fuses so you can get them at any autoparts store. The fuse panel is under the cover right below the windshield. There is a screw on each end of the panel on the riders side of the windshield. Take out those screws and pull the panel forward. The fuses are in a small black box under that panel. Fuse 1 is the high beams and fuse 2 is the low beams.

I suspect you will find the fuses are good. I suspect the problem is in the starter switch. That switch turns off the headlights when you push it and turns them back on when you release it. I suspect that when you put it back together you either did not get it right or the contacts for the headlights are bad or the wires to the headlights are not hooked up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea just replaced them and nothing. Going to take apart starter switch and clean it again and hope for the best

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like others, I'm really suspicious of the switch.

My '08 400 had a really strange problem (I don't remember the details, something like fan turning on when lights were dimmed or starter pressed---something really strange). I tore the starter switch apart and found that some parts were not sliding as they should ---they were too thick, as I recall.

I squished them down and it's been fine ever since.

I wouldn't consider the switch to be OK until I KNEW every part was in it and that they worked properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The little staple is not making contact with the copper terminals above it. I'm thinking about just replacing the whole right switch and throttle assembly depending on how labor intensive it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to push down on the little black square, that has the for copper circles on it that sits on top of the switch itself for the lights to come one so either I need to replace that little staple or the whole thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts