Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - first post here. I'm 65 and had 3 m'cycles long ago. Wanted to get something to go around town and save gas $. Trying to decide between a brand new Honda PCX150 and a 2006 Burgman 400S with only 4500 miles on it. The Burgman is very heavy compared to the Honda, but it's got lots of dash storage and more power in case I graduate to the freeway. The PCX's are on closeout at the same price as the Burgman (about $3400), waiting for the 2015 model. The Burgman is a 400S, which as I understand was a little more expensive but is harder to customize with a top box, seat back, etc. No warranty on the Burg, 12 mos on the Honda. What's a guy to do?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
585 Posts
For around town the PCX would be hard to beat. But if you think you'll be going out on the freeway the 400 would be my choice. Are you aware of the oil problems with the 2006 and older 400's? I haven't read much about it (lack of interest in the 400 models) but do recall there being problems with oil control and that those models have less oil capacity. Maybe a 2007 or newer might be a better idea? Or a Yamaha Majesty 400. IMO $3400 is a bit much for a 2006 400 - the market seems to be soft for the maxi scooters of late.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hold out for an 08+ 400 Burgman. Should be $3k or so. You won't be sorry. It's the best all-around bike on the market.

I've got near 40k on mine and still going strong. Doubt you'd ever squeeze that out of a 150.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
PCX is a budget bike, Burgie is from the top line. Go figure or better yet - try :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm - besides the possible oil issue, is there something else that's likely to cause trouble on the 2006 vs 2007 on?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I just got a 2006 Burg 400 S and I like it. The type S isn't much more expensive now - maybe $50-$100 more. Don't know how much more it was in 2006 but probably not more than $500.

However $3400 is HIGH for a 2006, even if it is a type S. KBB lists the retail at $2800. It might be higher in your area than here but not by that much. I am assuming that we are talking US dollars and not Canadian or Australian.

Don't let the "newer is better" crowd sway you! If it is in good condition then that is what matters. I personally am not worried about the oil issue myself for 2 reasons. First is that it seems to be very rare and second shows up on scoots that were used a lot on the highway verses mainly city.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just bought a 2008 a couple of weeks ago. I'm 64 and, like you, had 3 other motorcycles many years ago. I picked the 400 for the versatility and manageability. I rented Aprilia Atlantics, both 150's and 200's in Greece (very similar to the Burgmans) for a number of summers. While they were great bikes, I think the extra power is needed on our U.S. roads. I think the Burgman 400 would be a much better choice. Admittedly, I don't know much about the PCX.

Having spent a couple of months checking out every Burgman in the country, I can positively tell you that $3,400 is too much for a 2006 "S" or not. In my shopping my starting point was the Kelly Blue Book average between a dealer "excellent" condition bike and a private seller's "good" condition price. For the 2008 that was $2,700. I got my 2008 for $2,650 and was very happy with the deal. Check with scooterfinds.com, cycletrader.com and your area craigslist and you'll find lots to choose from in your price range.

As far as which year to look for, I don't think it matters a whole lot. I know there's been discussion about oil use on the pre-2007, but I think the real headache is the valve check every 3,500 mi. for the pre-2007. The 2007+ are scheduled to have the valves checked every 14,500 mi. To me, that was the deciding factor.

If you are still concerned about size, for not too much more you could be looking at a new Burgman 200. From what I can tell, that would be a much better deal than a new PCX unless the money is not there.

Hope your search goes well and let us know.

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Second vote for a new 200 - might be a 10 year bike- there is quite a weight difference and the 400 will do better on the slab but for 130 lbs and ABS there is a clear choice.
I'll bet there is decent financing as well.

355 lb for the 200 versus 489 for the 200 - surprised it's that much.

And the 200 has ABS...fine city scoot, good weather protection, loads of storage and will do "okay" on the highway with reported top end of 75 mph.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

I just turned 50 yo and have had about 16 motorcycles over the years since age 10.
Personally I'm converted to the "scooter" side because IMO they are much more friendly for actual transportation. More storage room and automatic are two big advantages.

We have 3 scooters in the garage at present. A 2004 Burgman 400, a 2013 Honda Metropolitan 50 (my wife's), and a ETON 50 (my adult son's). No seat time on a PCX sorry. For around town 35 MPH speed zones or less I usually use my son's large frame ETON (seat height is a tall 32 inches), unless I need more storage room. The weight difference is about half of the Burgman so it's just easier to park, etc.

However, I love my 400 Burgman and have put over 4,000 miles on it since January of this year. If I had to have just one scooter this size works for me both in town and on the interstate. A little big in town and a little under powered on the interstate at times, so it's just right :)

The oil issue isn't a big deal on mine. It uses about 4 ounces during my monthly 800 mile round trip to North Carolina and back home at interstate speeds cruising between 65-80 mph.

Another plus is the 400 Burgman is big enough for a passenger too.

Lastly, if you're thinking for something between the PCX and 400 Burgman the Honda 250 Reflex will be a lot cheaper than a new 200 Burgman. The Reflex is about 130 pounds lighter than the 400 Burgman and decent used ones are listed around $1,500. My wife is considering one so we've been checking Craigslist.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Even though its more money, I think I would also consider the Burgman 200 for the riding you say you will do. ABS and better fuel mileage and you will have a warranty.

Its a new model so might be hard to deal a lot but do your homework and you could certainly deal on the financing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hmm - besides the possible oil issue, is there something else that's likely to cause trouble on the 2006 vs 2007 on?
There was a major redesign in 07 and took a year to work the bugs out. So most members recommend the 08+ for the 400.

For the price, its probably your best value. The 200 is new and expensive. The PCX will be a bike you grow out of. A 250 reflex is nice, but not satisfying on the freeway.

As in goldilocks, the 400 is just right. It's the ONLY bike I rode for seven years and still do. It's one you can ride and be very satisfied with for tens of thousands of miles. It will do anything you ask of it, smile and ask for more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I just got a quote for $3100 OTD on a new PCX with a year's warranty, so I think that's the tipping point for me to go ahead and get the Honda for now. If I find myself riding a lot and wanting to go farther from home, I'll keep my eyes open for a nice Burgman at a good price.

At least, that's what I'm thinking right now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Always a good idea to start with "less" and then move up if needed or wanted, in my opinion. The time spent on the PCX will good training if you decide to go bigger. Plus, you might just keep the PCX for in-town errands and get a larger scooter for interstate travel.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys - ran across a 2005 AN400 with less than 400 miles on it. Looks and runs good. Asking price is $3500, while Blue Book is around $2900. Wonder how much such low mileage should add to the price?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why would you consider that bike when you can get a newer 08 or newer for that price? With only 400 miles on it it'd have to be serviced and ran to make sure none of the seals in the motor trans or front forks are bad. I'd consider something that has been ridden a thousand miles per year over a low mileage bike that has been sitting. If you're close to me I have a 2007 Yamaha Majesty 400 I'll sell you for $2100.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hey guys - ran across a 2005 AN400 with less than 400 miles on it. Looks and runs good. Asking price is $3500, while Blue Book is around $2900. Wonder how much such low mileage should add to the price?
NOT THAT MUCH! Even if it is a dealer and they have done work on it! Low miles should only add an extra hundred or two from the base. High miles on the other hand should take away a lot more.

I just bought a 2006 with only 600 miles on it and paid $2000. Granted it was a friend and he gave me a good price. He was asking $2500 originally. Of coarse sales are hard here, especially for a scoot.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sure where you got the blue book price. I just went to Kelly Blue Book and they have $2,590 for a dealer bike in excellent shape and $1,745 for trade-in. If there's documentation that the fluids and seals are OK, $2,500-2,700 would be tops. Otherwise you should be looking for a 2007+ for less than $3,500.

The learning curve really won't be much more on the heavier Burgman 400. As others have said, it's the best at being versatile. It wouldn't be much more than a couple of rides to get used to the Burgman 400 if you're worried about the size.

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Kelley Blue Book price varies depending where you live. That's why the first thing they ask when you go to their online site is for your zip code.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts