Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,

I have a 2006 Burgman 650 with just under 18k miles. A few weeks ago I was at the bank and my dashboard showed a FI Error, Mode A according to the manual which typically is the CVT motor ($300) it the ECM ($1,300). I immediately drove it to the service department of the local dealer. They tested both parts and both parts passed the tests. After four weeks they are telling me that the next step is to 'split the cases' and look at the plastic gears in the CVT. They are also telling me that because the bike is over ten years old and almost 20k miles it is not worth the $4,000 to do this work. They are telling me that after ten years and 20k miles the Burgmans become a money pit.

So, I drove it home last night. It is a nightmare to drive. Accelerating is fine, it's slowing down and stopping that is a problem. When stopping the clutch seem to not fully release and the engine is bogging down. If I ‘blip’ the throttle once or twice when stopped the clutch fully releases or if I switch to manual shifting mode the clutch will fully release and idle is normal.

When accelerating in manual shift mode manually upshifting is fine and manually downshifting does not happen. When I slow the bike, the engine will bog down and then finally shift from whatever gear I was in to first.

I have read in some forums that Burgmans should last as long as a car.

Any ideas of what could be wrong with the bike?

Does anyone know of bike shop in San Diego CA that can be recommend?

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
You said you have an FI indicator by not what code the ECM is showing. Knowing that code would help diagnose.
With your symptoms first thing I would do is check the pulley position sensor and ensure it is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
diagnosing gearing / shifting problems on the 650 can be tricky

as Buffalo said, it would help to know what code you are getting, that will can
put you on the right track.

this tid bit of wisdom from the knowledge base always helps me

The pathway of the drivetrain is: Engine > CVT > Clutch > Transmission > Final Drive > Rear Wheel

I don't think the plastic gears are at the heart of your problem.

alas there is no sure way to say, aha those symptoms point to this part or that part.

you can easily start your process of elimination by checking a few things yourself.

check the PPS, very easy to do

the clutch can be the other culprit, it requires taking it out, taking it apart and inspecting the different components for wear and tear.

hopefully it is not a CVT component like the belt or something else, that would men dropping the engine, taking the CVT out and
cranking it open to check the components.

hopefully the correct oil has been used in the engine without any friction modifiers.

if you have some basic tools and time, you can do most of it by yourself
check my burgman center for the appropriate DIYs.

let us know if we can answer any other questions.

good luck....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, the notes from the dealer are sparse. Below are the technicians notes and a code from the ECM was not recorded:

Error code appeared on the dash, "FI mode A". Customer looked it up in the manual and it came up for the CVT or fuel injection. Check and advise.

CVT motor tested good.
Cannot get FI light to turn off.
Issue is internal and motor cases would need to be split to find issue.

I am still looking for another shop to look at the Burgman.

I have discovered from other people that this shop, which is the local dealers service department is good for oil changes and tune ups but are in over their heads for anything more technical.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To everyone, thank you. I looked into the above without success.

Here is more of the story and the final resolution of my problem... I parked the bike because it can't be ridden in it's current state and I was looking for a shop that works on Burgmans. During this time, I went out periodically to start and warm the bike up to keep the engine lubed up. After a few months of this I noticed smoke coming up from the engine case and the vents under the instrument panel. Smelled bad, like electrical burning.

Here we are in mid April. I lost my job due to the pandemic and a new motorcycle shop opened up near me. I discussed what was happening with the owner he said to bring it on in and for $80 he would diagnose the issues for me. I secured the Burgman on a trailer (I was surprised at how easy that was), delivered it and he called me back a few days later. The CVT motor was shot, the water pump gasket was leaking, the insulation on the electrical wires was cracked and he saw burn marks on the engine wiring harness, and the clutch was shot. He used a fiber optic camera to look inside the CTV housing and saw plastic and metal debris. Final price to repair all this was 3 to 4 grand, maybe even more. This is more than I first paid for it and way to much for my new income level so I the bike for scrap. I will be getting a motorcycle, something that has much less tupperware so I can easily change the oil it without having to remove bodywork to get the job done. I think a retired and rebuilt police bike would do nicely... 😎

The good news out of all of this is that I found a real motorcycle mechanic for the future... the first place I took the Burgman, which is the local dealer service department, is good for oil changes and tune ups but are in over their heads for diagnosing repairs like this on was.

This new shop is Midtown Moto Garage, 4183 Convoy Street, San Diego, CA 92111; Justin is the owner, phone number is (888)262-4559

Thanks again to everyone and ride safe,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts