Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was narrowing down my choice between the Burg 400, Aprilia 500, and in two weeks, the Yamaha Majesty will be out. Just curious if anyone knows a thing about them?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/un ... jesty.aspx

I like the LED tail light in them but they don't have the passanger back rest. They're a bit heavier too. but the engine is a full 400cc. 14 inch wheel... worth looking at I'd say..

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
They are a good looking machine. I saw them last fall at the motorcycle show up here in Canada. I noticed the no back rest as well. Not to mention that to me there appears no room to attach aftermarket Top cases like Givi. I couldnt sit on it so I cant offer any comment on how it feels.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Majesty 400 is availablable with a backrest if desired from Japan - you have to just work out the logistics of getting the item ordered and delivered from Japan to your side of town. The Majesty liune are designed as the customisers choice, so there are so many options it's hard to list them all here - from exhausts to headlight covers to screens to suspension kits, etc.

I'd probably say that it's roomier than the Burgman 400, but won't perform much differently in a straight line. On the bends, it should be a little better as it has that aluminium frame and the fat 150 section tyre and 14 inch wheels make it a good bet for heavier (over 75kg) riders. It's main advantage over the Burgman 400 is that it comes with 55/60W headlights as standard, whereas the Burgman comes with 35/55W lights. That will make a difference at night.

My advice is to wait until you cna see and test ride the Majesty. It has a nice rear view, but the front isn't as plush as the Burgman... Only you cna decide in person.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wonder how many of those "goodies" for the Yamaha will be available for sale in the USA when the scooter launches. On the headlights, there is no guarantee that the USA model will be equipped the same as the model for the Japanese market. We'll have to see.

I will say, that if Yamaha makes sure that a complete range of accessories are available for the Majesty at product launch time, it will be a tremendous sales advantage for them. Suzuki USA has failed miserably in that area. I don't think Honda USA has much readily available for the Silverwing either.

I hope Yamaha DOES do that, because it might be a wake up call for Suzuki...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again Scooterites!

Well... I'll keep reading about and dreaming about the Burg 400. I plan to go see it next Saturday.. and hopefully get to see a Majesty 400 or at least get some more info on it. Yamaha has a nice little insentive going. 3.9 % financing for two years and a minimun payment of $39/ month. Plus if the info I'm reading, they come with a two year gaurantee instead of a one. I DO like the larger front wheel and the little extra power.

Here is the best article I've found so far. Of course it's "subject to change" so I take it all with a grain of rice.. uhh salt.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/ne ... jesty.html

I'd almost hate to get a Yamaha now... I would be Banned from this forum!!! smile.. Thanks Tom

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
In the last week I have asked two different Yamaha dealers about this scooter & neither one had ever heard of it.
It seems to have a one liter larger gas tank, 10cc larger engine & a greater weight by about 28 lbs. It also costs a bit more. If it comes with a better warranty that might be a deal maker. It would be useful to find out how well it has been performing in Japan & Europe. I hate to buy the first year model of anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea... I agree.. The first year of any new vehicle is the " guinea pig" period.. That happend with the Goldwing I bought in 2000. I have not seen reviews for the Majesty 400 yet. I think it is just too soon for that. Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oink- Oink oink oink....

Hi - My name is Tom and I'm a guinea pig.....

Well folks.. I've gone and done it.. ( at least I think I have?)... I've put my name in and a small deposit on the first Yamaha Majesty 400 that the dealer gets in August. They are figuring out the cost because the know so little about it. If it is way above the Burgman 400, I'll go ahead and the one of those with out any regrets...

I went to a local dealer and saw the Burg 400 and 650 today.. ... WOW.... They are so far above what I expected... MY concept of a "nice" scooter was still a Helix... geez.. now I see these, the helix seems only a step above a skate board.... Especially the 650.. it looked like a Goldwing!.. I had no idea they were so much bigger and comfortable... stylish etc... It's one thing to read about them and see pictures.. to sit on and see them... VERY impressive....

There was also the Honda line... the Reflex and Silver wing looked SO out classed sitting dusty there in a corner... I bet Honda's R+D department did'nt get their bonuses this year... they may even be working in a skateboard factory as we speak!

Congrats to Suzuki for doing more than raising the bar... They developed a whole new game!

I'll be badk with more details about the Majesty as they come in. If the Yamaha is on par with the Suzuki.. We're going to have some great choices in the growing field of transportation alternatives.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Tom,

I hope you get that Yamaha soon, and that it works out well for you. And we'll be wanting to hear all about it of course.

Now. In the interest of science and scootering, we need to get one of our rich AN400 owners (ya know, they save all that money on gas :wink: ) to buy a Yamaha Majesty too, so that we can get a good back to back comparison.

Or, we could just wait and wait until some motorcycle or scooter magazine gets around to doing a comparison test... :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

I agree, it would be nice to have both to compare side by side, but even yet , any review will be biased to the person's perspective. For example, I've read somewhere that some think the B-400 has too much passanger room.... Or does not corner like a sports bike, .... what ever their previous experience and expectations bring to the comparison. If there are any local B-400 owners.... maybe we can get together and make a list of + and - of both....

Of course I'm jumping the gun here.. I still don't even know if the M-400 will be competitively priced with the B-400. The dealer said it would be.. If it is too far above the B-400.... I'll just go for the Burgman.

·
Registered
33 Posts
They seem to have come up with an interesting frame design compared to the Burger

Yamaha Majesty 400

Burgman 600

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well folks....I ended up going with the B-400 ..... the Majesty price was about $250 US above the Burgman 400. Plus there was no promise of when it would arrive other than " some time in August". Also I found that it only carries a one year warrenty like the Burgman. The Majesty may have some pros over the Burgman but I can't see it being earth shattering in importance. Plus I wanted a back rest and that's got to be another 100 or so for that accessory. By the time I added up the difference in tax and everything, it was not worth the wait.

I've had the b-400 now for over a week and have over 750 miles already. I have NO complaints. It's a very good machine. I can say.. if someone knew their primary use was highway, the B-650 would be my choice. That said, the b-400 seems at it's peak of performance in the 65 - 70 MPH range. It feels almost MORE stable at the higher speeds. I'm guessing it is the fairing design and how it keeps the nose and body down as well as the suspension. Wind tolerance seems as good as the goldwing I had. I do want to find out as much as I can about the majesty still... Competition is good! Suzuki will be hard to beat by much....

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Interesting frame design. I wonder if the feet forward group has altered one yet. The looks like it would be easy to modify. Very interesting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well has anyone heard and or seen anything new on the Majesty? When will the dealers actually have some? How do yall think it will compare to the Burgman 400? Was supposed to be available on August 2004 (if I recall correctly) and it near the end of August now. I am also eagerly waiting to see what changes if any are on the 05 Burgmans , mainly color choices.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Upclose pictures are posted on the Gallery. I have seen one, and it's no Burgman. The overall quality of materials is lacking, as are some of the conveniences. Check my post in "general discussion" for more info.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Saw one at my local dealer yesterday. It was right next to a 650 Bergman.
The first thing that caught my eye was how much narrower it was especially across the mirrors. Looks like it was made for lane splitting.
Price seemed too high. Close to six thousand plus twelve hundred for freight & set-up. I can get a new 2003 650 Bergman for that price. (If they haven't gotten rid of it yet.) I wish Yamaha had brought in the T-Max instead but I would hate to see what they would have charged.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm with you wishing Yam would bring the T-Max to the States. Reading the specs on it, and comments from some Euro owners makes it sound like the ideal scoot between the 400 and 650. Can't figure why they chose the Majesty...too much like a 400 and apparently no advantage at all whereas the T-Max at 500 cc would have been nice. I'd probably pay the extra for one.

Speaking of which, I saw one on Ebay this week, supposedly it was in Pa. Wonder how they got it in? When I first saw it, my antenna went up and was pondering a bid or two...but then wondered where it could be serviced should it need it, and warranty or lack of, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Majesty info

Due to the many previous posts that were interested in some information on the new Majesty, I will post below some of my initial impressions to date of my Majesty:

Very nice fit and finish. Seat quite comfortable and adjustable fore and aft over a range of about 2".

Instrumentation legible and complete; analog speedometer and tachometer, LCD display panel for clock, check engine light, oil light, belt change light, coolant temp, 2 trip meters, oil change light, and automatic display of miles travelled when entering reserve fuel. LCD display very legible even in direct sunlight.

Gearing is optimized for highway speeds. Tach indicates 5100 rpm at 65 MPH, with 8200RPM redline.
Passing performance is very good in the 40-80 mph range. I would estimate the top speed to be around 95 mph. Very comfortable cruising at 70-80. Little or no vibration noticeable at any speed. Fuel injection smooth with excellent throttle response, no surging or hesitation. Instant starting.

First full tank of fuel resulted in an overall 62 mpg. Subsequent mileage should improve as the engine breakin period is completed. Range between refuelings exceeds 200 miles. Valve adjustments due at 26,600 mile intervals, greatly reducing the costs of periodic maintenance. Oil and filter easy to change, but requires a funnel with a flexible plastic tube to avoid oil spills.

Weight seems much less when seated on the scooter than the actual weight would indicate. Probably due to the upper framework being built of aluminum. For this same reason, handling and cornering at speed are excellent, easily the equal of most touring motorcycles. Low speed handling is very stable and predictible also, again feeling lighter than the actual vehicle weight.

Braking with discs at front and rear is up to the stopping requirements of a machine with this type of performance capabilities. Very easy to use parking brake on the near the left handgrip.

Owners manual very complete, with detailed intructions and illustrations for removing and replacing body panels.

Lots of underseat storage, with the rider seat lifting up, but the pillion seat remaining in place. Area beneath the pillion seat is lighted.

Night lighting is very good, with high beams illuminating the road ahead sufficiently to safely maintain 60-65 mph.

Cons:
There is no power outlet underseat for cellphone or accessories. It will be a challenge to figure out how to safely secure the scooter on a trailer for transport, as there is no rear rack to use as tie-down points and the handlebars are covered with panels.

Availability is somewhat limited due to demand exceeding dealer supply.

Ron Kerlin
MSF Scooter/Cycle RiderCoach
Ft Myers, FL

Vino125, People150&250, Majesty400, Pacific Coast 800, VMax1200

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ron,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to get your input on both the Kymco and Yamaha products. Hopefully, our choices in the USA will continue to grow over the next few years. The more, the better!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts