Here is a cut and paste:

I just received word from a Suzuki salesman in Va. (he is a scooter
advocate) that there are several changes for 2005. He stataed that
the latest has a March release date-and the prime reason is a major
transmission make-over. The only info he had was the availablility
of "overdrive". I asked if that meant that the manual select was
shelved in favor of "power/normal & overdrive" ? He was not sure as
some of the info was sketchy. This would, of course; increase
range/mileage engine life and reduce hwy RPM'S.
He also said he was told there are several gauge cluster features
coming over from the gsxr's--ie running mpg // distance to empty etc.

The fron center of the fairing will be color coded to match the bike
instead of having the black center panel below the windscreen.
Running light lenses are clear instead of amber and colors are silver
and a veryyyyyyyyy---dark blue

Can't speak for the accuracy of this but it might explain some of the
secrecy--ps no abs / // executive model yet.

Wishing well for all those hit or expecting troubles from the
hurricanes.

ED

Now, if this is true, I'll REALLY be depressed for not waiting! Mike

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thanks for that Mike.

If true (and not dealer verbal diarohhea :wink: ) the overdrive will be a 'killer' feature and improve endurance enormously when touring. The rest is fluff but then again some people like fluff.

Now overdrive and ABS that would be smart marketing! (Economy AND improved safety).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Only time will tell I guess. I'm sitting tight until ABS becomes avialable AND I can pick one up slightly used at a grrreeaattt price.

Something tells me I'll be waiting for some time.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Suzuki website has been inaccurate before - and the inaccuracies never get corrected. Look at the specs for the '04 AN650. Bet it still says "shaft drive"....

I've got to wait until they reach the showroom floors before I'm comfortable believing anything. Overdrive would certainly be a biggie. The fuel mileage at highway speeds could benefit greatly. The mileage computer would also be nice to have - assuming it worked accurately. But I gotta pretend that I'm from Missouri at this point - Show me!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
pauljo said:
But I gotta pretend that I'm from Missouri at this point - Show me!
Decode required :!:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NormanB said:
pauljo said:

"Missouri" is known as the "SHOW ME" State. (Stubborn as a Mule etc). Yank "humor"..... Mike

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
pauljo said:
OK mate. Folks from the U.S. state of Missouri gained a reputation for being stubborn. They wouldn't believe a darn thing unless you could show them it was true. This was somewhat back in history of course. But the state gained the nickname of the"Show Me" state.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mike and Paul

Thanks for that.
I learn something new everday!
This is a great forum!! :) :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
pauljo said:
"Why Is Missouri Called the "Show-Me" State?

"There are a number of stories and legends behind Missouri's sobriquet "Show-Me" state. The slogan is not official, but is common throughout the state and is used on Missouri license plates.

"The most widely known legend attributes the phrase to Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1897 to 1903. While a member of the U.S. House Committee on Naval Affairs, Vandiver attended an 1899 naval banquet in Philadelphia. In a speech there, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Regardless of whether Vandiver coined the phrase, it is certain that his speech helped to popularize the saying.

"Other versions of the "Show-Me" legend place the slogan's origin in the mining town of Leadville, Colorado. There, the phrase was first employed as a term of ridicule and reproach. A miner's strike had been in progress for some time in the mid-1890s, and a number of miners from the lead districts of southwest Missouri had been imported to take the places of the strikers. The Joplin miners were unfamiliar with Colorado mining methods and required frequent instructions. Pit bosses began saying, "That man is from Missouri. You'll have to show him."

"However the slogan originated, it has since passed into a different meaning entirely, and is now used to indicate the stalwart, conservative, noncredulous character of Missourians.

"Resources:
Rossiter, Phyllis. "I'm from Missouri--you'll have to show me." Rural Missouri, Volume 42, Number 3, March 1989, page 16.

"Official Manual of the State of Missouri, 1979-1980, page 1486. "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts