Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know why the overdrive feature on the 2005 Burgman 650 only works in manual mode. I can drive it all day long in automatic mode and it will never shift to OD. You have to select manual mode, and then upshift to OD. I would think re-programming of the ECU would be all that's required.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
-1 redundant (Add overdrive / economy mode to automatic)

The only thing I use manual mode for is to set it into overdrive. ('05 model)
I would be satisfied if the manual shift buttons would instead select between Power Mode, Normal, and Economy Mode (which would hold RPMs lower for any given throttle position and engine load -- essentially the inverse of Power Mode). [edit: Then again, for all I know, Normal (automatic) is designed for the most efficient gearing in the first place.]

Rusty J
AN650K5 in Ogden, UT

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Having the OD light come on in auto mode might be distracting because it would be going on and off each time the tranmission downshifted for hills etc. It would only stay on if you were running on straight, level roads at a constant speed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
MAddog,

I think it does go into "overdrive" when in automatic mode. I also had the same suspicion and thoght of a way to test this.

Put it in overdrive in the manual mode at about 65 mph and look at the RPMs. Then hit the button to switch to automatic and see if the RPMs change.

I did this many time and since they do not change, the overdrive is active in auto mode ...in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Mad Dog,

I have to agree with Tony17112acst on this one.

Also IMHO…

Long answer (short answer below):
If the 650 really did have gears to shift into, then overdrive would be just the additional gear at the top end to allow lower rpm for higher mph. Since it's an ECVT there are really no "gears." They, the so-called "gears", are all virtual or simulated and only exist as a fixing of the pulley ratios that would relate to these simulated "gears." Thus, overdrive is just another virtual "gear" and is not a real “gear” but rather just a higher pulley ratio that allows a lower rpm for a higher mph. It exists as a virtual “gear” only in manual mode. The bike’s computer is programmed to create simulated “gears” for the manual mode and provides the option for those who want to “shift” when riding this motorcycle.

With an ECVT in automatic mode there is only the continuous adjustment of the pulley ratios to maintain the most efficient and operation and peak output, torque, power of the engine to the rear wheel for any given mph and/or request for acceleration. Overdrive is just an extension or adjustment of the higher end of the range of pulley ratios allowed. In the 2005 or later models there was a change in the computer code that controls what ratios go with what engine and bike speeds and this is what allows the “overdrive” range of ratios.

On the other hand, the Power mode is just the opposite. Pressing that button tells the computer to adjust the pulley ratios down to raise the rpm for a lower mph. And this is applied at all engine and bike speeds, not just the high end. The result, as we all have experienced, is a boost of torque or power to rear wheels at the expense of efficient operation. This also is not a “gear” but a change in the computer code that controls what ratios go with what engine and bike speeds.

Short answer:
OD IS working in all modes, but the OD light only works in manual mode.
IMHO.

Now, if we can only get them to make the speedo work right!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was one of my concerns so I tried it many times on my 06 Exec.

OD works in auto mode but it only shifts to OD in very favourable conditions.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
tony17112acst said:
MAddog,

I think it does go into "overdrive" when in automatic mode. I also had the same suspicion and thoght of a way to test this.

Put it in overdrive in the manual mode at about 65 mph and look at the RPMs. Then hit the button to switch to automatic and see if the RPMs change.

I did this many time and since they do not change, the overdrive is active in auto mode ...in my opinion.
Not opinion, but fact.

When in auto mode, the letter D stays lit the entire time.
When in manual mode, you see the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and OD.
For all it's worth, they could just have made the OD a "6" instead, and nobody would get confused.

I want mine to go to 11.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
:lol: While you're riding to count what gear you're in???!!! :shock:

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello megafriends.
My name is Alfred, from Alicante- Spain
Is impossible use overdrive in automatic mode.
Only in manual positio overdrive can beused in all 650 machines.
See soon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
No matter what you call it, in the 05s and later, the rear ratio is the same in Manual OD as in the auto mode going the same highway speed . . .thusly the same engine RPM.
In the 03 and 04 models the engine turned higher RPM at higher speeds because the gear ratio of 5th gear manual was lower than the auto mode at the same speed.
The ratios were "evened out" between manual and auto modes at higher speeds with the addition of OD on the manual side.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
OD mode is built-in to the standard ratio selector in the SECVT - you only need an indication of OD in manual mode when it is beneficial to know that. It automatically `kicks down` as part of the auto mode operation. That is why the revs are the same whether in plain auto or manual mode OD. The computer has no reason to care what the ratio is, only that is the correct one of the situation.

Which is why OD light is only active in manual mode.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brewman said:
Amazing how much confusion this issue causes.
Yep. But it's really simple. Others said it above:

In Auto mode it will go into "Overdrive" when it can.

In Manual mode you can force it into "Overdrive" sooner.

You don't see "OD" light up in Auto mode for the same reason you don't see "1" or "4" or any other "gear" light up. That doesn't mean it isn't active.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brian said:
Brewman said:
Amazing how much confusion this issue causes.
Yep. But it's really simple. Others said it above:

In Auto mode it will go into "Overdrive" when it can.

In Manual mode you can force it into "Overdrive" sooner.

You don't see "OD" light up in Auto mode for the same reason you don't see "1" or "4" or any other "gear" light up. That doesn't mean it isn't active.
It is as simple as that. :wink: .

In Auto mode it shifts to OD when it can, most of the times in favourable conditions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts