Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?:
Hi, I'm new here, just signed up. I'll be purchasing a 650 at some point here. Question:
My local dealers are out of stock on the 2004s, not getting anymore in because they say the 2005s will be out by month end. In fact, they told me that there's a show in Vegas either last week or this week, that had all the 2005 Suzukis in attendance. He couldn't tell me anything about the 2005 as far as changes, colors etc. You would think that with all the industry insiders, etc. in attendance at this thing, someone would know something!! Or it may just be a load of crap.
ANYONE here hear anything regarding the 2005s? Any changes at all?
I appreciate any help. I've been lurking here for awhile and think the site is great. Seems like a lot of nice people here. I want to flame mine aka ALLWALK style. Plus, I want a REMUS exhaust. NOT LOUD ENOUGH.
How about a small NOS bottle bolted to the step through? :roll:
I was torn between the Burgman 650 and a "REAL" bike. I didn't know about the "scooter" image. I've heard that scooters get no respect from the other bikers. But, I took my brothers Honda Magna for a weekend, and rode it all over and while it is nice, and fast, it just is not that comfortable after awhile. Maybe I'm just getting old.
So anyway, HI ALL!!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey there WCC! Welcome to the Forum. Don't let the "scooter image" worry ya. It's your money and if it's what you like - go for it. I've been riding "real" bikes for 30 years and I've never enjoyed any of them any more than my new 650. And, I'm the only one I have to please (except my wife - and she wants a 400).
From my limited experience with my 2 week old Burgman, it'll run with most "real" bikes and run away from a whole lot of larger displacement bikes (and I'm still keeping to the 4,000 rpm break-in limit). I have no doubt that I can ride with my buddies anytime and anywhere and not be embarassed. I'll arrive wherever we go at the same time, have just as much fun getting there, probably be more comfortable and I don't have to shift gears. I'm just sorry that I too worried about the "image" and didn't buy my Burgman sooner. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
In fact, they told me that there's a show in Vegas either last week or this week, that had all the 2005 Suzukis in attendance.
Actually, the Vegas dealer show won't be until next week, 6/13-6/16. Expect color announcements then.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to Burgman USA WCC!

No one will have any info on the 2005 models until after the show. The manufactures are quite secretive up until their dealer show is held.

The good news is that they are doing it early this year. Last year, the dealer shows weren't held until November, and the new models weren't actually released until January of this year. I'm not sure that the early show is any guarantee that the '05s will be released this fall - but that could be a possibility.

There are other alternatives to the Remus exhaust. I know that Leo Vince has an exhaust for the AN650, and I think Yoshimura does also. So be sure to check around some before deciding.

As for "scooter image", it hasn't been a problem for me. Just about everybody that has looked at my 650 likes it. There is occasionally an exception to this, but I don't make decisions based on such a small minority. And if you bought a great Japanese motorcycle, there is always the "it ain't a Harley so it ain't s**t" clowns. And if you bought a Harley, heck - we would all pick on you. So buy what you really want, and be proud of it. :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi WCC :wave: and welcome to the forum. Thats the biggest compliment any one could offer , wanting to flame there bike like mine..THANK YOU!

Now Who are you buying the Burgman for.......To satisfy others or yourself? Don't worry about the image.......your passengers will be grateful as well :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D
Thanks guys for the replys, I appreciate it.
About a month ago I was all set to buy the 650, then for whatever reason, I started worrying about the "image". So I started researching and looking at real bikes...... Well, recently, I figured this is freaking stupid!! I love the 650. I think it looks cool, rides great, has fuel injection, triple discs, etc. How many cruisers have all that? ZERO.
Well, at least not in that price range. The 650 looks like a sport bike from the front, I love it. So... now I'm not being all stupid and all, and want to purchase the 650. Screw what everyone else thinks. The Harley guys may laugh at it, but you know what, they can flip me off after they catch up to me at the next light. 8) When you combine the features, the comfort, the storage and the looks, it's a no-brainer. I'm kicking myself for doubting what I felt in the first place and felt all along. You're right, I'm buying the bike for ME. I can't wait to pick one up.
ALLWALK.... You're bike looks cool as h*ll, I love your flames!!
I will also check out other exhausts... from what I've read on this site, it seems like anyone who has changed to something aftermarket, is happy with it. I don't want it to sound way loud, just burbly etc. I really don't know what the Leo Vance, Remus, etc. sounds like on a pararal twin, anything like a V-Twin????
I'm sure I'll swap the windscreen as well, since I'm 6'2"..
Yes, the passengers will like the 650 a WHOLE LOT more then the little patch of seating on most cruisers.
Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll talk to you guys soon. Hopefully with some pics of my new "scooter".... arrr motorcycle.... hybrid? :lol:
Caio!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome MCC! :)

I'm with the guys: don't worry about the image...as soon as you get your Burgie, you'll be too busy having fun to give it another thought. :wink:

We were initially considering a 250cc to 650cc traditional motorcycle, though we saw the scoots on the Suzuki site as well. Then we saw a 400 in the showroom...and were surprised how quickly we were SOLD on the Burgie. We asked a guy in the showroom, an Aprilia cycle owner, what he'd do if he saw us riding on the Burgie--would he laugh?

"Naw, just wave!" was his answer. And that's pretty much been the case for us. Most people just seem to respect that you're a fellow two-wheeler. ('Course, from the head-on front position, the Burgies do look like sporty bikes.)

Have fun...you'll be smiling all the way on every ride.
Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
WCC said:
I will also check out other exhausts... from what I've read on this site, it seems like anyone who has changed to something aftermarket, is happy with it. I don't want it to sound way loud, just burbly etc. I really don't know what the Leo Vance, Remus, etc. sounds like on a pararal twin, anything like a V-Twin????

I'm sure I'll swap the windscreen as well, since I'm 6'2"..
I can help a bit with the exhaust. I was the first person in the USA to install the Remus exhaust for the Burgman 650. Since then Burger Bob has also installed the aluminum version - you can find pictures of both of ours in the Gallery. I think someone else got the carbon fiber model too.

With the Remus, you have to cut the exhaust pipe on the 650. The darn thing is one single welded unit from the headers to the muffler. It's not that hard to do, but I was kind of nervous about doing it - and you can't just bolt the stock muffler back on if you don't like the Remus. I understand that Leo Vince provides a complete new exhaust pipe - so no cutting - but I'm not sure if that would really make the install any easier. Someone said that Yoshimura has also come out with a 650 exhaust, but I can't find it listed on their website.

The parallel twin does not sound like a V-Twin. It is smoother, and does not have the lumpy idle of the single crankpin v-twins. The Remus cannister has a removeable baffle. It is somewhat difficult to remove - you can find my writeup on that elsewhere in the forum. With the baffle in, the Remus is not very loud, but does have a bit nicer sound than the stock pipe. With the baffle out, it is awfully loud - Harley straight pipe loud. My ears were ringing after a 20 minute ride. I modified the baffle by cutting off the back 3 inches, which is the most restricted part. This gives a nice sound, louder than stock, but easy to live with.

No FI modifications are needed. The scooter runs fine - a bit more power (not night and day difference, but it feels a bit more responsive). Fuel economy is not affected. The Remus is also a lot lighter than the stock muffler, and I think it looks better.

Regarding the windscreen. I've just been doing some tests, and I'm learning that you'll get the best performance and fuel economy with the small stock screen. The Clearview XXL that I was riding with offered excellent wind protection, but was costing me about 15 mph in top speed, hampering accelleration in the 70 - 100 mph range significantly, and costing me at least 5 mpg in fuel economy. That is the largest available windscreen (I am 6'6" tall), so it is the extreme case. There are other alternatives in between that will extract less of a penalty. But I am finding that with the right helmet, I might be able to live with the stock screen during the Summer months. So you'll have to experiment, but don't be too quick to write off the stock screen - it does have some advantages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Pauljo. This is what I mean by this site having some really nice people. Great responses!! Great advice on the exhaust. I'll try the stock windscreen for awhile and see how it goes. I think the alum. can on your bike looks great!! Much better then the stock can. I just want some noise not too much, but something low and burbly. I'm 41, and my wife says I act 16.... oh well. Growing old is mandatory, growing up I guess is optional.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't worry what the Harley guys think. I ride a rigid framed Sportster bob-job with a BMW seat and a Triumph rear fender -- I guess I'm an "Old School" biker but that's only because I've been ridin' Harleys since 1975. I'll wave at anyone -- doesn't matter to me what you ride, it's all the same wind. I'm sold on the Burgman, too -- rode one for the first time today and was reminded what a hoot suspension is! I think my wife's going to buy one, and I'll be right behind her at the dealership. I'll shut up now -- but yeah, go with your heart, ride what you want...because anything else will just make you unhappy and then you won't ride. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Skiv,

Welcome to the BurgmanUSA Forum! You are right. I did a 100 mile ride on the Burgman 650 with my wife on the back Sunday. We waved at everything on two wheels. Most folks waved back. We are all enjoying the same thing, regardless of what we ride. Heck, I waved at a kid driving a go-cart in his front yard (got a little carried away with that one...).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Heck, I waved at a kid driving a go-cart in his front yard (got a little carried away with that one...).
I wave at most kids on bicycles, skateboards, tricycles, horses, plain old sneakers, or just about any other form of transportation. Most of the kids are staring at the Burgman thinking, "I want one....".

·
Registered
220 Posts
The other day I caught up with a pack of four Silverwings on a curving four lane road, blew past them all and parked in Bisbee in the Motorcycles Only parking area. Soon they pulled in. I heard one guy say to his friend, "That's one of those Burgman things I heard about. Supposed to be real fast."

They all came over and looked at it, asking all kinds of questions. I gave them the brief lecture, sort of like you would if you were explaining the operation of a new model Glock to a bunch of police academy types.

Then I walked over to the nearest Silver Wing and noted the seat appeared virtually identical to the Burgie's seat, and admired the little passenger butt stop which we don't have. Then I admired the two dash storage compartments, noting the right one refused to stay closed ("Push" it says). I noticed a sort of trap door on the engine cover and thought it might be a storage compartment, but when I opened it I found myself staring at the gas filler cap. Hmmm.

They beamed at the compliments. I walked back to my Burgman and said, "But this is why I bought the Burgman instead of the Silver Wing," and popped the large glove compartment between the two storage compartments. No one said a word, nor did they seem to realize I was joking.

Anyway, we had a jovial discussion. Most of the SW guys were former motorcycle riders, and most were middle-aged or older. One of them was 82 and quite spry.

It would be interesting to compare the ages of maxi-scooter riders in the US with maxi-scooter riders in Europe and the UK. I suspect the latter might be younger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
convention in vegas?

I'm looking for this convention in vegas that might show some info on the 2005 burgman. But I cant even see where there is a convention in vegas on motorcycles of any kind. :roll:
Any links?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
You might be thinking of the Suzuki dealer show. That show is not open to the public as far as I know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts