Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received pictures from the repair shop here in Hong Kong about the severity of my CVT failure. From the pictures it looks as though almost everything inside failed, even cracked my CVT cover:(

When he first looked into the problem he found the primary steel drive belt was broken. Myself and a friend thought there must have been a cause for the primary belt to break in the first place. Judging from the pictures, that was an understatement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow, that's pretty awful. Glad you weren't hurt! Any thoughts on what caused it to get that bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really, I bought it in August or close to that. It had a vibration at highway speeds, that I knew was some sort of problem. It drove really nice without any problems except for that vibration. Then last week on the highway.. no power to the wheel. No noises from parts being broken..just like it went into neutral.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't know what the market for these things is like in Hong Kong, but it might be worthwhile to find a wrecked 650 and swap in that CVT for yours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used motorbike prices are insane here. The cost for new is just crazy.. so people get a premium for used. For example, when buying a new bike, the Gov't gets a huge fee for 1st time registering. My bike in 2005 cost around
71,000 HKD which is about $9,161 USD. The 1st owner had to pay 22,000 HKD (2,838 USD) in licensing fees.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Bearing rust, then seize.

·
Registered
753 Posts
45,000 miles.. the shop is quoting 17,000 HKD to repair.
That's about $2200 US dollars right? If the machine really is in good shape, and you have got so much money tied up in it already then I would have to say to go for it. If properly fixed and of course well taken care of after that I don't see any reason why you couldn't put another 80,000 miles on it after that. Might not all be entirely trouble free, but I bet that you would need no more high dollar repairs during that time.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I really do sympathise with you. A definitive answer to the actual cause of this catastrophe is very necessary. If and when you get back on the road again a meticulous examination of the failed parts and a logical conclusion shown on this forum is very much to the fore. Believe me, my friend were I not 16 hours flying time distant I would be round your place to help with all the spannering.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Peelbrow.. my mechanic friend from the UK says its very probably the stopper bolt failed and caused this carnage.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks Peelbrow.. my mechanic friend from the UK says its very probably the stopper bolt failed and caused this carnage.
In that case we would appreciate a picture of the stopper bolt (or its remains!) please.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
In that case we would appreciate a picture of the stopper bolt (or its remains!) please.
Also be good to have examination and report on all bearing, from picture look like problem there. Perhap shop that take burgie apart cans exam and give you report.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
my mechanic friend from the UK says its very probably the stopper bolt failed and caused this carnage.
I read on Burgie site in Europe that now recommend user or shop torque CVT stopper bolt to 26 lb/ft every 3000-4000 km and replace 10,000 to 15,000km unless it not have any damage at all, this take but 1 minute if already have torque wrench available.

In 2009 Suzuki change stopper bolt to harder material for and 2010-2011 Suzuki also rework bolt to longer unit by 1.5-2mm and rework internal bolt seat also. Suzuki also make other changes / improvement to CVT for 2013 model to ensure this problem not exist anymore.

Since these change, hear very little about CVT bolt failure, in past it mainly happen on 2002 -2008 model year.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
commiserations.
The stopper bolt is an issue but I do not believe it is the agent of failure but rather a witness of failure.
This is a bearing issue IMHO.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
commiserations.
The stopper bolt is an issue but I do not believe it is the agent of failure but rather a witness of failure.
This is a bearing issue IMHO.
I tend to agree with Norman.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts