Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Rod, enjoyed the pics. The Scarabeo is an interesting looking machine; did you test out the seat?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I too attended the show on Saturday night. You didn't take any pics of the Honda GRF-1 750 concept bike! It's a scooter as well. I took pics of it but they didnt turn out to well. Had my camera set up wrong and they are all blurry.
They also had a Majesty 400 basically cut in half. The left side was cut away to reveal the machine . I have pics of it and although they are not the greatest you can still get the idea. I will post them if people are interested.

There were all kinds of scooters at the show. Most though were in the 50-200cc range. Definetely more scooter manufacturers there this year compared to last year. The market must be growing.

I did stop by the Suzuki line up to see what the 650- 400 Burgmans were all about this year. The Suzuki rep while fumbling through a brochure couldn't answer any questions. As a matter of fact I answered several questions to other patrons while I was there. The Suzuki Rep asked me if I would like to stick around untill the end of the show. LOL!

Looks like Canada is getting the 400S type. It was a beautiful red with the handle cover removed and the handlebars , risers and mirrors all decked out in chrome. The instrument background was different as well as the shortened windscreen. I did take 2 pics but the quality is really poor. I will post what I have if people are interested , but there is a post regarding the 400 s that already exists somewhere.

Oh I can assure you the Canadian 650 DOES NOT come with the electronically adjustable windscreen. Couldnt tell you about overdrive as there was nothing in the control cluster to indicate this. The only differences that stood out where the matching colour nose piece and the clear signal lenses.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Another nail in the coffin of Suzuki's customer support reputation. What is wrong with them???? They build great innovative machines, but they have no clue when it comes to supporting their customers and promoting their product. It's pretty sad. It might also discourage me from buying a Suzuki next time around.

Just out of curiosity, did you talk to reps from other companies who did seem competent to discuss their scooters? I'm wondering how much of this is a Suzuki business failure - or whether it seems to be industry wide problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ted clement said:
Rod, enjoyed the pics. The Scarabeo is an interesting looking machine; did you test out the seat?
Its the only maxi scooter that still looks like a retro scooter but big.
It seemed very roomy and comfortable. The wheels are large. It is different from the Burgmans and other new maxi's, however I liked it.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
Just out of curiosity, did you talk to reps from other companies who did seem competent to discuss their scooters? I'm wondering how much of this is a Suzuki business failure - or whether it seems to be industry wide problem.
I'm afraid I didn't get to talk to anyother factory reps. It appeared they had all abandoned the scooter lineup. To there defense there were way more crowds around the sportbikes and tourers.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Just got back from the Long Beach cycle show.
I asked the Suzuki people about the overdrive people have been asking about. They had no idea. I asked how easy it was to change the oil, oil filter & air filter. They said they were all under the center floorboard & you only needed to remove one screw & one panel. Is this true?

Yamaha people were totally clueless. I asked about the T-Max & none of them had ever heard of it. They had no idea how to change the oil etc. or even where they were. They told me it had a sight glass to check the oil but one of the other visitors found the dipstick. The only good part was I found a dealer that is willing to sell for list without the added dealer mark-up (He will even toss in a free helmet.)

Aprilla people knew their product. Both 500s looked pretty good. The Atlantic is about the same price as the other 400s & the other one is a few hundred more. Routine maintainance should be a snap. Too bad their dealer network is so thin.

I loved the Moto-Guzzi 750 cc Nevada. (They also had the hottest gal at the show.) Problem is they have the same problem with dealers. There has also been quite a bit of talk about problems with the factories with both Italian companies.

Biggest disapointment for me was that Kymco was not there. I wanted to see or at least ask about their new 500 scooter.

I had hoped there would be show deals like at the boat shows but there didn't seem to be any of that anywhere. At least half of the floor space was for clothing & other related items. I really don't think I will ever bother to go to another one.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
gruntled said:
I asked how easy it was to change the oil, oil filter & air filter. They said they were all under the center floorboard & you only needed to remove one screw & one panel. Is this true?
Not at all true. The air filter is behind a panel in the glovebox. You have to remove the fusebox (4 screws) to get at it. You have to remove the lower legshield to get at some of the oil compartment fittings also. See Allwalk's oil change pictures.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album24

Where do they get these guys?????

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Ex used car salesmen that were fired for 'lying too much'?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Expertise

pauljo said:
gruntled said:
I asked how easy it was to change the oil, oil filter & air filter. They said they were all under the center floorboard & you only needed to remove one screw & one panel. Is this true?
Not at all true. The air filter is behind a panel in the glovebox. You have to remove the fusebox (4 screws) to get at it. You have to remove the lower legshield to get at some of the oil compartment fittings also. See Allwalk's oil change pictures.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album24

I have an idea. :idea:
Judging by what I have read in all these forums, it would REALLY behoove Suzuki to recruit some of you guys to stand up at their shows. It would be refreshing to have someone there that actually knows what they are talking about.
I'm a newbie here, don't even have my Burg yet, but I found myself in the strange position of answering people's questions because the reps didn't seem to know the answers. (mostly from info I garnered here). :wink:
(I do research a thing to death before I spend my hard earned money)

One rep told me after my repeatedly asking him something he couldn't answer, that he had only been with the company/on the floor about 4 hours.
One of the main reasons I went to the show, was because I had already exhausted the knowledge of my dealer, they told me all they knew about the machines but I needed more info. In that regard it was a wasted trip. :x

I did like sitting on the 2005 Burgs though. :wink:

Having someone on the floor who actually uses the product!
What a novel idea! :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Expertise

lilleyen said:
I have an idea. :idea:
Judging by what I have read in all these forums, it would REALLY behoove Suzuki to recruit some of you guys to stand up at their shows.
Hmmm ... I'm up for a career change! :D

lilleyen said:
It would be refreshing to have someone there that actually knows what they are talking about.
Urrmm ... at least I could fake it better than the current reps. :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ya know, there are a couple of types of show reps... At least I've gathered that from pictures I've seen.

1. Those scantily clad babes who's main mission is to draw the guys over to the bikes they are promoting. Nobody really cares if they don't know a throttle from a brake lever. That is not their mission.

2. The factory reps. Whether male or female, you kinda expect them to know technical stuff about the bikes they are promoting. You even expect that they might have ridden the machines. And.. gasp... you might go so far as to think that they know how their product compares to the competition.

It would appear that Suzuki hired some male models and shoved product brochures into their hands. Prior riding experience may, or may not, have been a requirement. It's just all wrong...

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Male models as reps

pauljo said:
Ya know, there are a couple of types of show reps... At least I've gathered that from pictures I've seen.

1. Those scantily clad babes who's main mission is to draw the guys over to the bikes they are promoting. Nobody really cares if they don't know a throttle from a brake lever. That is not their mission.

2. The factory reps. Whether male or female, you kinda expect them to know technical stuff about the bikes they are promoting. You even expect that they might have ridden the machines. And.. gasp... you might go so far as to think that they know how their product compares to the competition.

It would appear that Suzuki hired some male models and shoved product brochures into their hands. Prior riding experience may, or may not, have been a requirement. It's just all wrong...
That was my impression too!

Now if they only had scantily clad attractive reps who really knew their product.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
allwalk said:
I too attended the show on Saturday night. You didn't take any pics of the Honda GRF-1 750 concept bike! It's a scooter as well. I took pics of it but they didnt turn out to well. Had my camera set up wrong and they are all blurry.
They also had a Majesty 400 basically cut in half. The left side was cut away to reveal the machine . I have pics of it and although they are not the greatest you can still get the idea. I will post them if people are interested.

There were all kinds of scooters at the show. Most though were in the 50-200cc range. Definetely more scooter manufacturers there this year compared to last year. The market must be growing.

I did stop by the Suzuki line up to see what the 650- 400 Burgmans were all about this year. The Suzuki rep while fumbling through a brochure couldn't answer any questions. As a matter of fact I answered several questions to other patrons while I was there. The Suzuki Rep asked me if I would like to stick around untill the end of the show. LOL!

Looks like Canada is getting the 400S type. It was a beautiful red with the handle cover removed and the handlebars , risers and mirrors all decked out in chrome. The instrument background was different as well as the shortened windscreen. I did take 2 pics but the quality is really poor. I will post what I have if people are interested , but there is a post regarding the 400 s that already exists somewhere.

Oh I can assure you the Canadian 650 DOES NOT come with the electronically adjustable windscreen. Couldnt tell you about overdrive as there was nothing in the control cluster to indicate this. The only differences that stood out where the matching colour nose piece and the clear signal lenses.
I took two pictures of the Honda GRF-1 750 concept bike! They aren't too bad. If I knew how to post then here I would. They are high res.
Anybody know how?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts