Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a used 2004 Burgman 400 with 8000 miles on it from a dealer who showed me the service records and they said the last time they checked the valves was at 7750 miles. Just wondering when is the next time i should check and adjust the valves? I read in my manual but couldn't find an exact number. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
The manual calls for checking them every 3,500 miles.

Most folks don't check them that often. I check mine on 10,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it. What are the symptoms that your valves need to be adjusted? How would I know that my valves need to be adjusted? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
On your model you should check them without fail at each service interval stated in the manual. It has screw and locknut adjusters. These go out of adjustment more quickly than the later bucket and shim type with overhead cams. Checking is very easy on your model. There can be various symptoms of valves going out of adjustment. Everything from noisey engine tapping from the valves, to being extremely quiet (a sign the valves may be too tight). If the valves become much too tight the engine will not run smoothly at idle and will begin to lose power when riding. By then it can be too late to correct the problem as if the valves go tight, it starts to burn the valve and valve seats. It's mostly the exhaust valves that go tight. This mean lots of money to correct the problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Quantum. Would it be a good idea to check them every time I do an oil change to be safe then? I'm thinking so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Congrats on the new Burgman!

I recently purchased "new" 2004 Burgman 400 with about 13,000 miles. One of the first things I did was change oil and check the valves. I would set aside a day to check/adjust the valves the first time. Watch some videos, read some posts, etc before you start too. The actual adjustment is not a big deal it's getting too the valve cover. The bodywork on the Burgman is the most complicated I've every messed with on a motorcycle/scooter. Plus, I had to replace a bunch of worn out push pins and few missing screws & bolts. TDC (top-dead-center) is fairly easy to find. I used the mark on the cam plus checking the rocker arms for a slight wiggle side to side. The marks on the crank, remove bolt down by the exhaust pipe, was worthless for me. My 49 year old eyes really couldn't make out anything and I didn't want to remove the muffler.

Like you I plan to check my valves at every oil change (3,000 miles). Once I get a history of this motor and I'm only checking (no adjustment) maybe I'll go out to 6,000 or more.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Congrats on the new Burgman!

Like you I plan to check my valves at every oil change (3,000 miles). Once I get a history of this motor and I'm only checking (no adjustment) maybe I'll go out to 6,000 or more.

Bruce
That is pretty much what I did. Started out checking at 3,500, increased that to 7000 then up to 10,000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts