Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my Suzuki Bergman 2004 has 9860 miles on it. When I first bought it used with 7900 miles, I never saw a valve adjustment being done in the service record. My Suzuki Bergman will start fine when cold but if I shut it off and try to start it when the engine is still warm, it has a hard time starting and will only start on the fifth second of pushing the starter button. I researched this problem and found out that tight valves can lead to hot starting problems. Does anyone have any advice to give me for this? Tomorrow when I wake up I will adjust the valves first thing and let you know if it's solved the problem or not. In the meantime I would appreciate some additional help or insight to this problem. Gratitude.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Temperature and barometric pressure can affect the running of an engine.

Is it just hard to start or does it not run as well when hot?

Being a 2004 with less than 10k miles indicates it has seen more time sitting than being used, that can be hard on it. I would say check those valves but also give it the full works, maintenance wise.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs fine when started but the problem is when the engine is hot it takes five seconds to start whereas if the engine was cold it starts up right away. I definitely think it's the valves that are too tight. Anyone knows the appropriate valve specifications clearance?

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you own a 650 the valve clearances are:

Intake 0.10- 0.20 mm ( 0.004 - 0.008 in )

Exhaust 0.20 - 0.30 mm( 0.008 - 0.012 in )

Don't own a 400 so I can't help you there, although it wouldn't surprise me at all if the clearances were the same on the 400. Hopefully someone with a 400 can help as well.

Greg

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Greg. I am in the process of disassembling the Tupperware to access the valves right now as we speak

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, everyone! The valve adjustment solved my problem! When I adjusted the valves I checked the clearances and they were so tight. They were so tight that I couldn't even put my 0.003 mm feeler gauge the smallest one I have into the valves. I'm so glad I did a valve adjustment and The Bergman starts really really nice and runs even smoother than before. I'm so glad I did not get a burned valve. It starts very nice one hot too. It took me eight hours to adjust the valves and it was painful but I'm glad it runs better. In the end, it was worth it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts