Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOES ANYONE HAVE A USED BLACK BURGMAN 400 2004 SEAT THEY WANT TO DEPART WITH....sure could use 1 if not im gonna have to get mine re upholsterd

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Staple gun, vinyl-top spray adhesive, and some good stretch vinyl is all you need. Marine grade vinyl work great.
No sewing needed and 2 hours later it will be just like new. Glue, stretch, staple, and trim off the excess.
Now the butt rest might require some pattern making and minor sewing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
have you looked on ebay? im in the market for a new seat because mine was stolen along with a bunch of other things and ive priced them out on ebay and there are like 5 of them up for sale right now! good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will any type adheasive work like 3-m or something cheaper or close the 3m stuff runs bout 30$...and do you remove the other cover or put the new vynil over the old 1 i might try this

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found some Black Outdoor & Marine Vinyl 39 $ for 2 yards sure that will be enough 54 inches wide and some adheasive for marine vinyl all for $47.00

Material: 100% Vinyl
Width: 54"
Weight: 29.25 Ounces per Linear Yard
Thickness: 0.45"
Suggested Uses: Corporate, Hospitality, Residential, Auto/Marine Aftermarket, Marine Interior, RV

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive done this many times and i cant stress enough, You do NOT want to leave that old cover under there, what you want to do is just take the seat off the bike and turn it over and remove any thing blocking access to the staples that hold the cover on, Then you take a small screwdriver/pocket knife or an actual staple remover if you have one, then you simply remove all the staples and the old cover, then use your old cover to get a rough cut out of the new material for the new cover, leave at least 2 inches extra all the way around the cover until your totally done stapling it then go around and trim off the extra, that way you are always sure not to remove to much material from your new cover.. as far as the spray glue, you can use any brand, 3m/loctite/elmers brands of spray glue made for vinyl will work fine, make sure you spray just a light coat on both the cushion foam and the underside of your new cover, do NOT use too much because it can soak through and stain your material, ive done it before! Then another tip is, after you spray the glue, let it tack up for like 2 full min so the solvent can evaporate a bit then press on your material starting from the center of the seat and work your way out to the sides.. And another important thing is to take one of your staples out and make sure you buy the same size staples to redo them, and also make sure you buy the marine grade "nickel" staples because they will never rust, the regular staples will rust instantly if they get wet...Good luck! and feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the process..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome TY for the insight .given me these details surely makes me want to give it a shot i appreciate the info 13bturbofc i have made a few covers in low riders for the bed before just never a seat but by the way you described it it sounds simple i will give it a shot pics to come later again ty

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey no problem! im glad i can help! it sounds like you got yourself set up with some materials! good luck with everything! one thing you want to make sure of, is that the material you are using has a decent abrasion resistance, some vinyl's are used for say, the side panels of a chair that don't experience near the abrasion and wear that the seating surface will have to endure..
Just follow the tips i have given you and I'm sure it will turn out great! Believe it or not, this style of motorcycle or "scooter seat " with the simple "no stitch" wrap around and staple design is one of the easiest types of pieces to reupholster and its a great starting point for beginners so i think you will be set!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Once upon a time when I was younger there was a vinyl seat repair kit on the market. It consisted of small pieces of vinyl in different colors that you slipped under the tear. Then there was some kind of seal that was melted around the edges of the torn area until the edges disappeared. I have no idea if it worked well or what it was all about. I just remember that there was a repair kit out. Maybe it still exists somewhere.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe an upholsterer can do a repair at a reasonable price. Had a Corbin seat for my VMax recovered for a bit over $100.00, and it looks great!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Mel46 said:
Once upon a time when I was younger there was a vinyl seat repair kit on the market. It consisted of small pieces of vinyl in different colors that you slipped under the tear. Then there was some kind of seal that was melted around the edges of the torn area until the edges disappeared. I have no idea if it worked well or what it was all about. I just remember that there was a repair kit out. Maybe it still exists somewhere.
Yup, I have one, and it works. But once the seat gets to certain point, you fix one tear, and onether one appears. Having done seven on mine, and the eigth just appearing, it's time to recover or replace, I think! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts