Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would just toss in my 2 cents worth. After listening to my 04 AN400 rumbling and grumbling, I traced the noise down to the clutch. I rotated the rear tire and that in turn rotated the clutch. The noise was very pronounced and it was easy to get a sense of the issue after removing the CVT cover. It sounded and felt like a bearing that was about to let go.

I removed the clutch and found the inner shaft roller (needle) bearing was gonzo... I tapped it out and pressed in a new one.. Liberty greased it and did the usual inspect and clean up and re installed the clutch and buttoned it up. The outer ball bearing was still like new, so didn't disturb it.

The bad thing about a nice day and having parts in hand is that you keep going replacing other parts... Like I did. I removed the badly scalloped rear tire and took it to my basement and tossed it on my tire bead breaker and then removed it from the rim. I installed a new Bridgestone Hoop tire, used my Harbor Freight balancer and when I was finished, reinstalled it on the bike.

I am all set for a nice day once the temps get more conducive to riding..... And of course when the snow melts.

I just wanted to post a thank you for providing the links, how to make the infamous "FRANKEN-TOOL, and the dead accurate diagnosis of the problem with my rumbling final drive. It is now fixed, well greased and has a new rear tire.

So, to everyone that posted, thanks sharing your experience.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Roger,

You're work on the 400 sound similar to my winter activities :)

I'm hoping the snow will melt away this week so I can ride again before the next snow. Only a few more weeks of winter . . .

How do you like the Harbor Freight balancer? I assume it's a bubble type?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the better days of winter.. You know, when the driveway has been cleared, and provides a little absorbed heat.... The sun is out even, though the temperature is in the mid to low twenties it is still nice to work.

I own a lot of harbor freight stuff. Some is okay, like the balancer, but the electrical tools have a way to go before they compare to a Delta, or similar.

The balancer I bought is a rotary. It is similar to an arrow spinner used to check an archers arrow for straightness. It is as accurate as they come. I use the tape on weights then recheck.

After I installed the tire back onto the scooter, I revvvvvved the engine up to about 8k RPM. It was rock solid.... Now to wait for a nice day to ride, but with 3" - 6" of snow in tomorrow's forecast.... Riding isn't likely in the next few days.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
That sounds like me.....start one job and end up doing 2-3.
Glad you got it fixed. I hate the waxy grease Suzuki uses in their bearings.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are getting a LOT of snow. It will be more like 8 inches instead of the lower estimate. No chance to ride for quite some time.

On the waxy grease? Was THAT grease????????? It felt like tar!! Only a different color. I used marine grade grease mixed with a little thinner black bearing grease. Marine grease is thick, so I decided to thin it a bit so it would get into the roller bearings. When I removed the splined hub from changing the rear tire, I had to wire brush the dried white grease from the splines and replace it with some fresh stuff. Now it sits in the garage waiting for a decent riding day. Let's hope it is soon.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I used marine grade grease mixed with a little thinner black bearing grease. Marine grease is thick, so I decided to thin it a bit so it would get into the roller bearings.
If you mixed two different types of grease you may have created yourself a problem. If they did not have the same base then they may react badly and not lubricate properly.

A couple of links on the topic http://www.gdnash.com/mixinggreases.aspx

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/882/mixing-greases

Google "mixing grease types" and you will find a lot more info.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Craig:
Thanks for the heads up.....It makes sense that by mixing synthetic and petroleum lubricants one can buy trouble that is unexpected. The two greases I used are high speed bearing (brand) grease, both are 100% petroleum/lithium based and made by Valvoline. Both are good up to 385 degrees F. When I look at the potential of a problem because of mismatched bases or application issues , I really don't see anything to be alarmed about. We are talking about a roller bearing that is about $22.00 that Suzuki packed with what amounts to bees wax... Or orange tar. Obviously way to thick and sticky. If it fails again because of lubrication.. It will a learning experience for me but we are still talking about a bearing that is about $22.00. I will keep an eye on it.

This is why I enjoy writing on a forum and especially this one.... Lots of great information and it makes all of us more aware of what we are doing, from maintenance to riding.

Thanks for your answer Craig and I hope to hear from you again.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
With grease it is not a question of synthetic vs non synthetic. It is a question of the carrier for the grease, the soap as they call it in the trade. Grease is a mixture of lubricant and a carrier medium. The carrier absorbs the lubricant and keeps it in place on the item to be lubricated. At one time it literally was soap hence the name. They made grease by mixing soap and oil. Clay was another early carrier that was used. Now days there are many different carrier mediums. The problem is when you mix grease with different carrier mediums it can cause them to do strange things.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Go figure a guy from Texas knows so much about oil/grease. :cool:
Go Craig! :thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, a guy from Texas, apart from his hat and boots, should know his..... Grease!!! Personally speaking, I have a Stetson hat, Valvoline grease mixture in my bearing and Nocona boots. I am not from Texas but I know what to put on my head and on my feet.. The stuff in the middle don't matter as much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts