Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650 with 9k miles. The motor runs strong but I have been having this problem lately and would appreciate any feedback. When I start out and give it to much throttle, the rpm’s go up but the bike just starts out slowly so I have to ease off the throttle and slowly give it throttle so it can pick up speed. If I stop on a hill, it slips or wines and will barely get me to the flat road. I was told about the cvt stop bolt was replaced on a guys bike that he had the same problem and it fixed his issue. Anyone have any similar issues or knowledge about my situation. Thanks guy’s and girls. Appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
do a search here for clutch slipping test, bive us a little history on what maintenance has been done , how long you have had the bike etc and are you mechanically inclined etc, it sounds like you have a slipping clutch, order a new stopper bolt while you are at it, it's one of the easiest replacement maintenance things you can do , besides the emergency seat release , something you can research and do while waiting for the stopper bolt to arrive

Reactions: Bluebottle

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
Could be the clutch slipping.
Its a 2003, could be a striped Primary adapter. They are weak and the Polish Adapter fixes most.

Someone said their 2003 650 would move a little but if a lot of power was applied the Adapter would slip.

Reactions: Ryder Rod

·
Premium Member
15,166 Posts
And not just the grade, but was the oil JASO and MA (or MA2), and was it NOT "Energy Conserving"? (Oh, no, not another oil thread!)

That is, my money's on a recent, and errant, oil change, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do a search here for clutch slipping test, bive us a little history on what maintenance has been done , how long you have had the bike etc and are you mechanically inclined etc, it sounds like you have a slipping clutch, order a new stopper bolt while you are at it, it's one of the easiest replacement maintenance things you can do , besides the emergency seat release , something you can research and do while waiting for the stopper bolt to arrive
I bought the bike about a year ago, I just had my local bike shop change the oil, oil filter, and transmission fluid change. I am not mechanically inclined. I ordered the cvt stop bolt yesterday.

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
oh 💩 . well, a slipping clutch test doesn't involve any tools. wouldn't hurt to be thinkin about how much you are willing to spend to get it repaired, how much you could get for a parts bike, and start takin yer dog for a walk in the flower bed of the shop that changed yer oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be the clutch slipping.
Its a 2003, could be a striped Primary adapter. They are weak and the Polish Adapter fixes most.

Someone said their 2003 650 would move a little but if a lot of power was applied the Adapter would slip.
Thanks Dave
oh 💩 . well, a slipping clutch test doesn't involve any tools. wouldn't hurt to be thinkin about how much you are willing to spend to get it repaired, how much you could get for a parts bike, and start takin yer dog for a walk in the flower bed of the shop that changed yer oil
do you think the guy put the wrong oil and transmission fluid in my bike, he has a shop that works on all types of bikes.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
do you think the guy put the wrong oil and transmission fluid in my bike,
For me, it's too much of a coincidence.
Ask him to show you what type and grade he used. Should be 10W-40 to JASO MA (or MA2).

Problem is, back in 2003, when your bike was made, and the manual for it was printed, plain old "Motor Oil" was what most used, without problem.
Time moved on, and modern "motor olis" are not all suitable now for "wet clutches", such as the B650 has. That's why JASO spec. came into being.
@wspollack comment - "and was it NOT "Energy Conserving? " is very important now, but did not apply in 2003.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me, it's too much of a coincidence.
Ask him to show you what type and grade he used. Should be 10W-40 to JASO MA (or MA2).

Problem is, back in 2003, when your bike was made, and the manual for it was printed, plain old "Motor Oil" was what most used, without problem.
Time moved on, and modern "motor olis" are not all suitable now for "wet clutches", such as the B650 has. That's why JASO spec. came into being.
@wspollack comment - "and was it NOT "Energy Conserving? " is very important now, but did not apply in 2003.
Thanks for you help

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
If this bike shop services alot of Harley or other DRY clutch bikes like BMW's and Ducati's, they may have filled it with JASO MB oil for dry clutch bikes.

If it was the wrong spec oil, it may be too late to flush out the oil and replace with JASO MA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If this bike shop services alot of Harley or other DRY clutch bikes like BMW's and Ducati's, they may have filled it with JASO MB oil for dry clutch bikes.

If it was the wrong spec oil, it may be too late to flush out the oil and replace with JASO MA
Dave what kind of problems will putting in the wrong oil cause and if he did that can it be drained and replaced with the correct oil or will that ruin the engin and transmission

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
The wrong oil can, not always, cause the clutches to slip. Almost all scooters out there have DRY clutches so an unknowing person may replace it with car oil or even worse JASO MB.

The Burgman 650 requires a special motorcycle oil in the JASO MA with JASO MA 2 being the best.

In many cases replacing the oil with car oil has ruined the wet clutches of Burgman 650's. One member says it has not effected his for 10,000's of miles but more than a dozen members have had failures.
So it is not recommended to try to be a cheapskate and use the cheap car oils.

Once the wrong oil gets embedded in the clutch plates it bonds to the fibers and steel plates. It is unlikely to flush out easily. Of the dozen + members that have had failures, they all had to drain the oil and filter, take the clutch apart and replace the plates inside.

Might get lucky removing the clutch plates & steels, clean with brake cleaner, soak in JASO MA 2 oil, flush out all the old oil, new filter and fresh JASO MA2 oil. Not guaranteed this will fix it.

New clutch plates and steels are around $230

A good cheaper JASO MA 2 oil that 1,000's of bikers with wet clutches is Shell Rotella T6 5W40. Its like $25 a gallon.

Some will disagree with my opinions but thats just their opinions too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wrong oil can, not always, cause the clutches to slip. Almost all scooters out there have DRY clutches so an unknowing person may replace it with car oil or even worse JASO MB.

The Burgman 650 requires a special motorcycle oil in the JASO MA with JASO MA 2 being the best.

In many cases replacing the oil with car oil has ruined the wet clutches of Burgman 650's. One member says it has not effected his for 10,000's of miles but more than a dozen members have had failures.
So it is not recommended to try to be a cheapskate and use the cheap car oils.

Once the wrong oil gets embedded in the clutch plates it bonds to the fibers and steel plates. It is unlikely to flush out easily. Of the dozen + members that have had failures, they all had to drain the oil and filter, take the clutch apart and replace the plates inside.

Might get lucky removing the clutch plates & steels, clean with brake cleaner, soak in JASO MA 2 oil, flush out all the old oil, new filter and fresh JASO MA2 oil. Not guaranteed this will fix it.

New clutch plates and steels are around $230

A good cheaper JASO MA 2 oil that 1,000's of bikers with wet clutches is Shell Rotella T6 5W40. Its like $25 a gallon.

Some will disagree with my opinions but thats just their opinions too.
Thank you Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts