Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, another scooter thrown into the mix. While deciding between the Burgman 400 and Majesty, I was at a dea;er that had a 2003 red Honda Silverwing for sale for $5,999.00 not including tax, prep, etc. This is not a used scooter but a left over that did not sell. First of all, is this a good price?
I know nothing about this bike. Is it a good quality scooter, reliable, etc. I would be moving up from a 125cc scooter. Would that be too much of a jump. I am still leaning toward the Burgy but any info about the silverwing would sure be helpful. Thanx.

scootervan

PS-I am just under 5'5" tall and and am pretty skinny

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome scootervan. First off, I can't address the price of that 03 400 as I own an 05 650. Love it to death. Bought mine mid June of this year for $6950 including dealer prep. Plus of course tax, title and license. Have you tried to dicker with the dealer. If that's an 03 still sitting there, there may be some room to negotiate.

You don't indicate height, weight, etc so I don't know if the 400 is the right size for you or not. I do know we have many members of all shapes and sizes, including several ladies, riding the 400. I guess the most important question is have you taken the cycle safety course. Going from that 125 to any of the bigger scoots is going to be interesting for you and you are going to want to do more with it than just hop around the city streets. Can't stress enough the MSF course.

The Silverwing has a good reputation but I doubt you will find many members of this forum who would give up their Burgie for the wing. My suggestion is ask the dealer if you can test ride both and see which feels better to you. Not a huge difference in price or power, so compare features, comfort, ride etc and decide which is best suited for you.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Good quality is subjective.
It's almost 3yo in so far as availabilities are concerned.
It's 200 more cubic centimeters and has ABS. I would suspect a lot more power than either of the 400's.
The price seems kinda high - I havent researched it tho. What does a zero mile 03 SW list for on kbb.com?
Do you like Hondas? Do you like the color? Does it fit you nicely? Is the dealer pleasant, convienient, and willing to answer questions about the motorcycle?
my "oh 2" feed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If you do a forum search on "Silverwing", I'm sure you will pull up a lot of information.

The Silverwing has had several recalls, and it has been noted in several comparison tests that it does not handle as well as the Burgman 650 in the curves. In physical size, it seems closer to the Burgman 400 than the 650. Some, but not all, of the Silverwings have ABS brakes (there are two models, one is ABS equipped). Depending on your projected usage, it could be a viable choise. If you lean toward sport riding, I'd avoid it. Otherwise, add it to your list, and if possible, test ride it vs your other candidates.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd own a Silverwing today, if it had physically fit me better. The Burgie was simply more comfortable for me personally. It'll burn a little more gas than a 400, and will go a little faster. It also has better warranty support. Beyond these things, unless you're a high-performance loving 650 candidate I can't see a nickel worth of difference.

Me, I'd try and talk the 'wing down $200, then take it if all else is equal. Like I said, I'd be riding one if it had simply fit my body better.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
yeah - i forgot abs was optional - sort of pricy option (but nice) too.
Gosh 6 grand for an oh-three! Dunno - just seems high when a brand spankin new 05 midi-burger can be had for maybe hundreds less. :shock:

btm line tho - i dunno - i havent dont any homework here....

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
............ask yourself why it did not sell and what loss you may suffer when you sell on?

Saying that it is a competent machine just not as good as the Lardy and a bit twitchy handling wise if you press on - if you dawdle along as most of the forum members do - getting a zillion miles to the gallon it will handle purrrrrfectly. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
scootervan said:
Well, another scooter thrown into the mix. While deciding between the Burgman 400 and Majesty, I was at a dea;er that had a 2003 red Honda Silverwing for sale for $5,999.00 not including tax, prep, etc. This is not a used scooter but a left over that did not sell. First of all, is this a good price?
I know nothing about this bike. Is it a good quality scooter, reliable, etc. I would be moving up from a 125cc scooter. Would that be too much of a jump. I am still leaning toward the Burgy but any info about the silverwing would sure be helpful. Thanx.

scootervan
I currently own an 650 Burgman,
previously owned Piaggio x9 500 for 2yrs, good scoot but build quality/reliability was not so good. I then changed to silverwing for 18 months, build quality/reliability was excellent but machine design wise is let down. The silverwing suffers being rear weight biased , tiny rear wheel,not having full length double yoke front forks and sturdy frame like the Burgman which consequently affected high speed cornering of the wing. 2 up touring was a bit scary as the front end became too light and even lighter as fuel was consumed due to fuel tank being fitted forward as opposed to centrally(sensibly) on the Burgman. Burgman is much more planted on the road.
All a shame as I did like stealthy look the of the wing. The wing is definitely second fiddle to the Burgman without a doubt.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My .02 worth.

I had a deal all lined up to purchase a used 03 Silverwing with a Suzuki dealer. In the course of discussion he mentioned the Burger line & had two on the floor, a 650 & a 400, both blue.

I sat on the 400 first (couldn't test ride, not licensed at the tme) & it felt very much like the SW, but for some reason it seemed more balanced, easier to move around.

Then I got on the 650, & all bets were off. For my 6' 4" 300 lb frame it fit like a glove, it was night & day more comfortable for me, even though it is a hair over 100 lbs heavier. The low CG, The shape of the seat, the reach to the handle bars, & above all, the legroom all fit me better than any other bike I had looked at.

That's when the dealer blew the sale, he was handling the SW on consignment & didn't really dicker very hard. On the Burgers, he wouldn't budge an inch off of MSRP, no way, no how. I tore up the contract on the SW & walked out. I started looking around online & found an 03 650 on eBay.

Dealing with an individual was so preferable to fighting with the dealer, I bought the bike sight unseen, save for the pics in the auction. I then had to have it shipped from Pheonix, AZ to Louisville, KY. Even including the shipping, which the seller picked up 75% of to close the deal, I got what I wanted for not much more than the deal I had cut for the SW.

So I guess the moral of the story is: A Silverwing in the hand is nothing like finding & getting what you really want.

·
Registered
207 Posts
scootervan said:

scootervan

PS-I am just under 5'5" tall and and am pretty skinny
Personally, I'd rather have the Honda 600 rather than the Burgman or Majesty 400 if I was planning on using the scoot for touring as well as town riding. The Silverwing's built more like a bike than the 400s, and the extra power and bigger wheels would be very welcome on highways. I don't think the extra weight of the Honda would be a problem for someone your size (though I do think it would be on the Burgman 650).
Of course, price is a huge factor. How much more is the Honda than the 400s?

·
Registered
156 Posts
All of us value things somewhat differently, go with comfort of you body and comfort of you wallet and you will be happy with any of them.

joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts