Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was nice yesterday so I went out for an extended ride. I noticed that once I got past 60 I had a low frequency vibration from the rear wheel that changes with speed not engine RPMS. I feel it the most in the seat of my pants. The tires are new in the last year and are in good shape with no cupping and the rear wheel was recently balanced. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Check to see if the balancing weights have slung off the wheel rim.
Mine did that and I found it laying on top of the tranny cover.
Otherwise I'd be checking a lot of things like tire cupping, blistering, or the lug nuts, free-play in bearings, brake caliper, drive belt, roller weights. clutch, etc. any of which could play a factor.

<Edited because this never happens to me because I ride all year>

I guess I should add a BIG disclaimer for the cold weather folks here: IF THE BIKE HAS BEEN SITTING MOST OF THE WINTER IT COULD BE THAT THE TIRES HAVE LITTLE FLAT SPOTS FROM SITTING FOR SO LONG AND IT WILL SELF CORRECT ITSELF OVER TIME.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disassembled the transmission today since we have a foot of snow on the ground and it looks like I won't be riding for while. The belt is in good shape, the rollers look good with no flat spots the bearings are smooth but the clutch is shot to hell. Looks like I will be getting a new clutch.

[attachment=2:3isiy4km]WP_000330 (1).jpg[/attachment:3isiy4km]

[attachment=1:3isiy4km]WP_000327.jpg[/attachment:3isiy4km]

[attachment=0:3isiy4km]WP_000326.jpg[/attachment:3isiy4km]

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the new clutch and clutch housing put in today and took the burgie out for a spin. I had to look down at the speedo to realize how fast I was going and that I had past the speed limit, The vibration that use to announce 55 mph and above was gone. :D Just in time! tomorrow is going to be a good day for a long ride.

[attachment=0:m4atsr1o]WP_000348.jpg[/attachment:m4atsr1o]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
derbydave said:
I got the new clutch and clutch housing put in today and took the burgie out for a spin. I had to look down at the speedo to realize how fast I was going and that I had past the speed limit, The vibration that use to announce 55 mph and above was gone. :D Just in time! tomorrow is going to be a good day for a long ride.

[attachment=0:2x718tgg]WP_000348.jpg[/attachment:2x718tgg]
So.......you are saying that a new clutch was the "cure" for a rear wheel shimmy......???? :?:

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
derbydave said:

[attachment=0:1jicmqjh]WP_000348.jpg[/attachment:1jicmqjh]
So.......you are saying that a new clutch was the "cure" for a rear wheel shimmy......???? :?:
No he said
low frequency vibration

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I can see were the old clutch would be your problem, it did well to drive at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Burgman 400 with this same problem, vibrates above 80km / h. Already changed many parts, removed the rear brake line and sent the wheel and the vibration does not pass. I would like to help. Thank you. Ricardo

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
My Burgman 400 with this same problem, vibrates above 80km / h. Already changed many parts, removed the rear brake line and sent the wheel and the vibration does not pass. I would like to help. Thank you. Ricardo
It would help to know what parts you have changed. That way we are not suggesting things you have already eliminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would help to know what parts you have changed. That way we are not suggesting things you have already eliminated.
Come on, already changed the belt, the clutch bearing that goes behind the wheel, the two clutch bearings and rollers, did alignment and balancing the wheels and the bike is still vibrating above 80km / h.:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts