Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
In my last drive I suddenly lost of power like just only use one cylinder and after one minute it comes back full power and it happens again and again.
Some days after even in idle I also notice the idle speed changes and almost stop the engine.

Does anybody experience something like this.
Fuel or electric ?
Any clues about this, please help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way is there any external fuel filter on this model or it is inside fuel tank ?
Is there any way to inspect the filter ?
How can I remove all the fuel from the tank and fill with new fuel ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
Sounds like you have a loose spark plug cap on one side. Take the access screw out of the left side of the radiator and swing it out. Then you can reach behind the radiator and push the spark plug caps down onto the plugs.

There is no external filter, only the one in the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you have a loose spark plug cap on one side. Take the access screw out of the left side of the radiator and swing it out. Then you can reach behind the radiator and push the spark plug caps down onto the plugs.

So you think it´s an electric failure ?
Spark plug cap or maybe a spark plug, correct ?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hes saying the cap that connects to the spark plug head may have gotten loose. Check that its fitted tightly. If youre there check your plugs also. Use some anti seize a torque it down with a wrench to 8ft/lbs/11nm I believe

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
So you think it´s an electric failure ?
No. Not yet.

Please read this whole post and visit LeDudes web page below.

Spark plug cap or maybe a spark plug, correct ?
Yes, VERY common issue. Slow down and read this again:

Sounds like you have a loose spark plug cap on one side.

1. Remove the front radiator cover. It is held in place by two small push pin rivets and two screws .

2. Take the access screw out of the left side of the radiator and swing it out.

3. Then you can reach behind the radiator and push the spark plug caps down onto the plugs.

A step by step guide at LeDudes Burgman center here:

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
713 Posts
As Buffalo says it's likely either a loose stick coil which pushes onto the spark plug or it could be the stick coil itself going bad. Do what the buff says first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello,

Thanks about LeDudes guide, I do have almost all these wonderful guides.
The spark plug cap did pop-out, I set it again and run the engine but again one cylinder does not seem to be working and almost stop the engine.
Can this be checked by removing the spark plug and running the engine with the spark in connection with the motor to check if we get a spark or is there any way to check the voltage that we should get if we unplug the spark plug cap (ignition/coil) ?
Thanks a lot.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
You may have a large amount of gas in the cylinder from the plug not firing.

I would pull both sparkplugs out.

Then unclip both connectors on the coils.

With the plugs out try to start the motor to clean out the cylinders. Any excess gas will blow out the open sparkplug holes.

Then if the sparkplugs look OK put them back in and plug the coils back in.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Motovila,

When you say “I do have almost all these wonderful guides” did you download and print ?

If you did that’s a great idea .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may have a large amount of gas in the cylinder from the plug not firing.

I would pull both sparkplugs out.

Then unclip both connectors on the coils.

With the plugs out try to start the motor to clean out the cylinders. Any excess gas will blow out the open sparkplug holes.

Then if the sparkplugs look OK put them back in and plug the coils back in.
Hi,
It is time to change these spark plugs because I do not know when the previous owner did change them.
What you suggested does not detect if I have a bad coil, there must be a way to check if the coil is getting energy.

I remember to see some car mechanics removing the spark plugs and connecting them outside with the motor they are able to see if we get a spark when running the engine, I just don´t know if we can do the same with Burgman.

Thanks

·
Registered
713 Posts
Take the plug out put it in plug cap ground the plug (the bit the spanner goes on) on the cam cover and spin the engine over it should spark. Do not touch it hold the plug cap or duct tape to the cam cover. Might need a hand to thumb the starter and pull in the brake lever.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
The ECM sends 80 volts DC (capacitance discharge system) to each coils primary windings so that will hurt if you touch that. The coils secondary puts out about 45,000 volts and that will really hurt.

There is a test for each coil using an Ohm meter. I'd need to search the service manual for that test.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just checked you have stick coils so possibly a faulty stick coil. Simple test. Strip what you need to access the stick coils but still allow the bike to run. Start the bike run it for 20 seconds. Spray some water on the header pipes which will tell you which cylinder is running I e. The one that steams the most. Swap the stick coils over let the bike cool for 10 minutes. Repeat the process. If the opposite cylinder runs hot you have a bad stick coil

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just checked you have stick coils so possibly a faulty stick coil. Simple test. Strip what you need to access the stick coils but still allow the bike to run. Start the bike run it for 20 seconds. Spray some water on the header pipes which will tell you which cylinder is running I e. The one that steams the most. Swap the stick coils over let the bike cool for 10 minutes. Repeat the process. If the opposite cylinder runs hot you have a bad stick coil
Good advice
I used to synchronize 4 carb engines without a vacuum gauge setup, by simply comparing header temps. A $10 infrared thermal meter works. when you don’t have one, an instantaneous touch with the back of the hand will work too😉

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi there.
I try the water trick but as booth cylinders are working, just failing, I could not see witch cylinder was failing.
I change the spark plug caps and run the engine with just one plug each time and I could not get any conclusion because it seems engine as difficult to start in each condition and keep idle speed and sometime it does stop.
After I remove the spark plugs an see how they are.
As you notice the spark terminal is not in good condition, and maybe will do theses problems.
I think that spark plug in cylinder 1 is failing as we see, spark plug is not burning well.

To tight the spark plugs I do not have a torque wrench yet, will it be safe to use the half turn after tight by hand ?

I did not check yet the voltage on the plug but I did some tests.
My Burgman is with 18.470 km and I do not know when spark plugs where changed before.
I will need two park plugs .
Will it better to order also one or two spark caps ?

Thanks you all.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Replace the spark plugs first you dont need a torque wrench. Just seat them and then you can feel the crush washer squash by feel. As long as they are not loose. Check them again after a few miles. The problem with failing stick coils they can be erratic and cause intermittent misfires. Trying to run it on one cylinder wont really tell you anything. Make sure all the connectors are clean and let's see how it goes with new plugs. It could be symptoms of other items TPS CPS etc but one problem at a time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts