Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a Burgman and found one that a guy is selling with 2900 miles. It's a 2003 model and he had laid it down in 2004, so the right tupperware footrest is damaged. The horn was bent up thru the footrest and it has scratches on the right side. Also the center kickstand is bent on one side so can't really be used. The engine runs fine and he put a new battery in it. My estimate to fix the tupperware is ~$700. The bike runs fine and is drivable. I brought him down to $1000 but offered him $700. Does the 2003 Burgman have other issues or is this an good deal. My plan is to fix some of the front tupperware but leave the scratched muffler, rear tupperware, etc since it's not major. Any comments on if $1000 is a good price? Thanks,

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I can't comment in a 2003 burgman 400 as I don't have much experience with em. But as to buying an 11 year old bike with only 2900 miles, that I have experience with. It was terrible. Worse bike I ever owned.

Bikes have to be ridden to stay in good shape. And that number of years, with that many miles tells me it's been sitting, A LOT. There are just numerous issues that can pop up wih a barn find. First and foremost would be dried out and cracked rubber, tarnished fuel systems, rusted metal and what have you just to start. And hope to heck some little critters didn't make a home out if it and started chewing on the wires.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, the burgman is a great bike. But you should know what you're getting into. At the very least, if you're serious about it, have a mechanic check it out. It will be the best $100 you ever spend, whether or not you buy the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, it's been sitting in his garage sine 2004 when he had the accident. He claims he starts it now and then, but it did need a new battery. That tells me it's been sitting around. Don't see any rust since I'm in Denver and he kept it in the garage. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see another 08 Burgman 400 with 1800 miles, it's in great shape and has a trunk, he won't come lower than $3200, I offered him $3000. How does that sound?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I did see another 08 Burgman 400 with 1800 miles, it's in great shape and has a trunk, he won't come lower than $3200, I offered him $3000. How does that sound?
I think you'll be a heck of a lot happier with it. The trunk is invaluable and its a better bike with five less years of sitting.

I don't know what the market is there, but you can get a standard 650 for $3500 in Los Angeles with a touch more miles and similar year. My buddy just bought two recently.

A BUSA member and frequent trader, the Reaper, always says go and check out the bike and bring cash. Once they see hundred dollar bills, sellers often change their tune.

Seriously, you get what you pay for. My first real MC was a barn find and I stuffed WAY more cash into that thing than if I had saved up and gotten a good bike to begin with. Pay now or pay more later and save yourself the stress and work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I would go for this one over the other one you posted. It's hard for us to
tell you what is a good deal where you live. They vary by location so I would
look on Craigslist and see what they are going for locally for your area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on your abilities and what you want. The 08 is at avg price. Probably troublefree. To me the 03 is a deal at $1000. But I can fix it. You can probably get the plastic cheap at eco-exo.com. They use the 03-06 drivetrains and have the rest leftover. I say go for the 03. Its a great scooter and probably wont need much and you'll learn something about your ride. If you change your mind after or its more work than u thot, call me I'll buy from u ... as a backup for mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd let Uncle Mark buy the older one and stick with your cash offer of $3000 for the '08. The newer Burgs are better in most peoples mind. Unless you want to spend your time tinkering instead of riding.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd let Uncle Mark buy the older one and stick with your cash offer of $3000 for the '08. The newer Burgs are better in most peoples mind. Unless you want to spend your time tinkering instead of riding.
While I agree with some of this, I don't agree with the implied message that the older models are inherently less reliable. Of course every machine is less reliable as it ages, but the improvements of '07-'11 were relatively minor. The 385cc engine can hold its own against the later models.

Perhaps that's what you were saying: simply that older machines are going to need more work.

There are several red '08 400s for sale within a couple hours of here. Asking prices range from $2900 to $3400.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
While I agree with some of this, I don't agree with the implied message that the older models are inherently less reliable.
I certainly did not mean to imply older models were less reliable, just that older models with ONLY 2900 miles on their clock were less reliable. Any machine with that little running time over that many years is going to be less reliable than a similar machine with less years under its belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your advice. I do like working on cars, and have a $700 offer on the table for the 03. I may go up to $800 but at that price it may be worth the risk. Plus I enjoy tinkering at time. IF I change my mind afterwards, I'll contact Unclemark! Thanks All!

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
Sitting that long, sounds like a project bike, however, if you like tinkering with a bit of wrenching, it's a good find. Once it's checked out, you will get years of pleasure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked it up for $800. changed the oil, and checked all other fluids. Runs well. I can use it and slowly fix the tupperware on the right front. Any suggestion on where to get body panels? Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts