Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for 2 way radios for bike to bike communication to use with the Autocom system. We have Motorola Talk About T5950 radios, but the male pins are longer than all others in the industry. That means the Autocom wires are too short for the MIC/EARPHONE jack.

Does anyone have experience using 2 way radios and can you suggest a set for us to purchase.

Janine

·
Registered
128 Posts
FRS Radios

Yes you can use Motorla radios between bikes the wife and I have been doing it for 2+ years and it works great. We have the older models the talk about plus with 2 pins for the head set. We got the mike/speakers/ push to talk gear from Motocomm.com or something like that you just tell them what model radio you have and they set you up. If you get the equipment let me know and (pm me) and I will tell you some neet tricks you can do.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Magyver, Been thinking about the same thing. Radios are the easy part; finding the rest that will fit one's helmet seems the hard part. What style helmet do you use, and did the speakers fit into the ear holes without discomfort? How do you mount the PTT button? About what did this rig cost?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Autocom system requires a wire from the Talk About radio to the swithcher box, then the headset is hooked up the the swithcher box. This allow use of all electronic equipment such as GPS, i-Pod, FM radio, and bike-to-bike radio through one headset. I need to plug a single motorola length jack into the Talk About radio and the other single standard length jack into the Autocom box. Radio Shack DOES NOT have an adaptor plug to convert the pin size. I would like to use the Motorola radios if possible, but so far that doesn't seem likely.

Janine

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
If you can buy the components knocking up a lead is not too difficult - Radio Shack/Tandy?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Norm,

That's my problem. I can't find the components to make an adaptor. The plug with the pin is a sealed unit. My husband suggested cutting up the throat-mic unit we bought and trying to patch that wire with the wire from Audiocom but the wires appear to be different. The Audiocom wire is a single round wire and the Motorola throat-mic wire has two flat wires fused together. I would hate to start cutting and find out this doesn't work either. Do you know of anywhere on the web to order electronic components like these Motorola size plugs?

Janine

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news for me :D . I got in-touch with an Autocom dealer in New York that has a new part #113 that solves the problem. It is made to fit the Motorola radio pin size. $29 each but it's cheaper than new radios. Thanks for the help.

Janine :D

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Janine,

Ask Radio Shack if they have a replacement part (or stock) part number 21-1896. The 21-1896 is an adapter that allows for the extra depth of the motorola jack. Might be a cheaper solution.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,

Is that a Radio Shack part number or a Motorola part number?

Janine

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Old Radio Shack part number. The Radio Shack website doesn't list it, but they may have either discontinued it or replaced it with another part number.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Two way Radios

We have Nolan N100 flip front helmets. I mounted the mike in the chin bar I think I recesed it into the foam a little the speakers went into the sides of the helmet like it was made for them. The wiring that was sent had a push to talk button to mount where you wanted well I found out that there were only 2 wires to the button ( the plug to it has about 6 pins ) so I cut the switch off and wired the push to talk to work by using the flash to pass button on the front of the left grip If anyone wants to know more details on this PM me and I will elaborate.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We got everything installed and I posted a review under the OFFICIAL REVIEWS section titled AUTOCOM.

Janine

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted. I have heard a lot of good reports about autocom and actually only deleted it from my christmas list for one reason only - I may post seperately about that!

Nice review BTW. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Norm,

How are you feeling these days? Have you been out on the new 650? OK, I'll bite, why did you delete the Autocom from your Christmas list?

Janine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts