Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
... overnight it will drop 26 degrees and then add gusts of 50 to 70 kms. So from basking in the heat and being teased about the coming riding season, tomorrow Winnipeggers wil wake up to an effective wind chill of -40 degrees. In Fahrenheit, that is from 28.3 degrees to -40F. Overnight change.

Plug in your car and your electric socks. Cancel the ride around the block on bare pavement. Buy a lottery ticket. (Surely the 50 million should cover some place warm where one can ride all year.)馃啒

Registered
Was that starting temp (28.3) actual ambient temp or wind chill? You do know that wind chill is really just an impression of how it feels to us and not really any reduction in actual ambient temp, right? But cold is cold and wind chill simply means that our skin loses heat faster than otherwise (but never really goes below ambient temp).

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Was that starting temp (28.3) actual ambient temp or wind chill? You do know that wind chill is really just an impression of how it feels to us and not really any reduction in actual ambient temp, right? But cold is cold and wind chill simply means that our skin loses heat faster than otherwise (but never really goes below ambient temp).
Yeah, wind makes all the difference - I once got stranded on a highway at -40 when the usual tank of gas disappeared in half the time it usually lasted, because I did not have my radiator covered and was driving into the win at 60-70 mph. Forty below on a clam sunny day in a sheltered plaza can feel almost balmy.

Registered
-40 and balmy should never appear in the same sentence....lol. I've experienced as low as -15F (with wind) and can't even imagine anything colder. And wouldn't want to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed that our locations no longer appear beside our names. Boo hiss. It鈥檚 rather nice to have some idea of the locale that someone is writing from. You can put a Canadian flag by my name but it gives you no idea that someone in Victoria, B.C. is still riding while we inlanders in Winnipeg are in sulking envy of those Canadians for at least another 3 months!

Re ambient temp - no it does not change based on the windchill level reported. What changes is the rapidity with which exposed skin will achieve frost-bite. Today that is in minutes. The meteorologists prefer to use the term 鈥 feels like - 38鈥 rather than 鈥渁 windchill of -38鈥.

Registered
@ducati14 , as a matter fact, and what was mentioned in another thread about the forum upgrade, if you let your mouse pointer hover over the avatar photo an info box pops up that shows location.
As shown in this screen clip of just the info box over your last post:

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 9.59.31 PM.png

I know it's more effort than simply looking but it is there. If you prefer to shorten your signature you can change that to show your location (since there are only 5 lines now allowed in the signature).
-
My personal coldest for riding is -15.7F (-26.5C) without wind, and riding at 60 mph in that for an hour. I checked a digital thermometer I had on my bike at the time since bike temp sensors don't seem to be able to handle lower than 14F (-10C).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks rjs987 for the hover tip - I am still fumbling about the new site. Once I get used to it, I am sure I will be to appreciate it more than I do presently. You perhaps know the feeling of your iPad being invaded in the middle of the night by Apple鈥檚 minion bots and waking to wonder what the heck happened to the 鈥減rint command鈥 or how the heck do I access my contact list now? Discovering the new changes to this site was/is kind of like that for me at the moment.

Registered
Yeah, wind makes all the difference - I once got stranded on a highway at -40 when the usual tank of gas disappeared in half the time it usually lasted, because I did not have my radiator covered and was driving into the win at 60-70 mph. Forty below on a clam sunny day in a sheltered plaza can feel almost balmy.
-40 and balmy should never appear in the same sentence....lol. I've experienced as low as -15F (with wind) and can't even imagine anything colder. And wouldn't want to.
Back when I was in Alaska (near Fairbanks) in my deferred mis-spent youth, I once stepped outside and said -- in all sincerity -- "It's nice out, must be at least 10 degrees!(F)"
Spend enough time in arctic cold and you get used to it. Kinda.
Either that or the part of your brain that handles common sense freezes solid.

Nowadays, I start thinking twice about riding when it's in the low 40s(F).
Fortunately, it doesn't get that cold that often here in Los Angeles, especially during the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts