Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is only about our 4th post , but I do read the forum every night. My problem is this, my wife has a Burgman 400 and I find that I rode it to work more than my goldwing. So after reading the forum for the last 9 months, I got rid of my goldwing and bought a new 05 Burgman 650 last Sat. and drove it home. Now for my problem, my wife is eying my 650 very closely and I'm afraid that she is going to start riding it and leaving me with her 400!! I can't aford to buy another 650, What should I do!? :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Let her ride it, with the understanding that it is your bike & that she give it up when you want or need it.

After a while you'll start noticing generic (or worse yet, unlabeled) canned goods, paper towels, & toilet paper in the pantry.

Hamburger Helper, Top Ramen, & dented cans of soup for dinner.

Mended socks & shorts instead of new ones.

Piles of aluminum cans & dirty soda bottles in the garage with a sign on it that reads "TOUCH THESE & DIE, THEY'RE WORTH A NICKLE APIECE"

Comments like "Those jeans aren't that dirty, you can wear them again before I wash them", "Go out for dinner, are you nuts!?", & "It's cold in here, do you think you own the power company or something?"

But it won't get bad until you start hearing "Do you know how long it's been since I got any new clothes/shoes?" or "I'd kill for a piece of chocolate!" & you believe her w/o reservation.

Take some advice, the kids' college education isn't as important as your health & well being, tap pot & go for broke or suffer the consequences.

You've been warned.......

Signed,

Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Turnabout is fair play. Either leave first in the morning, or enjoy riding the 400. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I heartily agree, what's a couple grand (if you sell the 400) compared to happiness and home security? I assume she knows where you sleep? ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
With a wife who likes to ride and 2 Burgmans in the house, my man, you've got problems I'd love to have. Count your blessings and follow the suggestions above!! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Jalonne

Congrats on the purchasing the 650 I hope you are finding that it meets your needs.

You already have the experience on the 400 so you know if you can put up with it as your commuter ride. Let the wife use the Lardy for a few weeks commuting and then swap back for a week and review - my guess is that your wife will prefer the 400 for commuting anyway!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wyldman, I agree with your post. Just one question. How long you been living with my wife? :evil:

Buzz

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I say, if you are commuting with it, use the 400 and put the miles on that as long as your wife isn't commuting with the 650. Then come the weekend, you have the shiny low mile 650 to ride, and you can let her ride your "work car". :lol:

Actually, I don't have that problem. Wife is pretty possessive of her 400, and couldn't care less about mine.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Buzz, I don't know your wife, but she must have been kin to mine, if you can identify with what I said earlier. I was married to mine for 17 years before she passed on & went home. I learned alot of her little tricks in that time, usually the hard way. :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
832 Posts
leave early,don't come back

I just got the 400,think I like it better than the 650 for some reason.maybe it's the milage or the nimbleness of the 400.I also think the suspension is better in the 400.But your lucky to have both to fight over.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wyldman said:
I learned alot of her little tricks in that time, usually the hard way. :eek:ops
: :lol:
I've been married to mine 29 years and I'm still learning those little tricks! DEFINATELY the hard way.

Buzz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the possible solutions for my problem and I'll lbe sure to look out for the tell-tell signs! :lol: She does, however, tell me that whats hers is hers and whats mine is hers also , so don't know if I'll ever win. After 40 yrs of married life I ought to be able to win at least once ; at least she never wanted to ride the goldwing by herself. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
jalonne1 said:
She does, however, tell me that whats hers is hers and whats mine is hers also , so don't know if I'll ever win.
Sounds familiar. In my house her money is hers, and my money is ours. Problem is that she makes twice as much as I (but also works three times as hard). Basically my money pays all the cost-of-living bills, and her money buys the "we don't need it, we want it" stuff.

My wife is interested in a scooter too, but has no interest in my 650 claiming it's "too big" for her. I suspect she'll end up with a Burgman 400 or a Yamaha Majesty. I've got to get her to take the motorcycle safety class since she's never driven a cycle before. Once that's done and she gets the motorcycle certification on her license, we'll get her scooting. We don't "need" to, so it's her money we'll use!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just warn her that the "turbo" button is touchy and that the last time you accidentally bumped it you popped a wheelie going 80 mph down the freeway past two highway patrol officers...

If that doesn't scare her off, give her the 650 and run the other way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts